Discussion Tripwire Defense - update change significantly alters strategy?

DeletedUser

I know many alliances use 'tripwires' as a part of their defense strategy. Today I experienced a series of events that proved something has changed to alter a belief I know many experienced players hold. The belief that if your tripwire dies, then all your alliance mates troops have been killed also. This is no longer true.

Has anyone else noticed this? Adjusting our response to trips going off is not hard, but this does hurt our chances of breaking a siege with an early attack since it is no longer safe to send a full scale probe at your friends' cities when your trip dies.

Richard - can you find out if this was an intended change?

my trip dies
27ypf2e.jpg

my response
2dmf37t.jpg

report from the city owner of the original attack that killed my trip
33bgx1e.jpg

Attachments

• trip dies.JPG
    trip dies.JPG
    41.5 KB · Views: 8
Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

I've seen this happen before mate, sometimes your 1 def troop is just unlucky and gets killed when the player you're supporting still has troops left, basically it's better to send slightly larger trip wires and then you'll get a more accurate idea of whether or not the city has been cleared, say 20 - 40 def troops per trip :) Hope this helps

DeletedUser20429

It definitely is odd. Perhaps it was included in one of the updates..... I'll go through the threads and take a look.

DeletedUser27793

this happened to me
dont u think that there is a probability that u r trip might die.If there r 100 and 60 of them have died then there is a probability that u r trip might die is more
i think this is not a new update i think this is from the start

DeletedUser

i think it's just down to chance.

if you have 1 unit out of 1k population in the city then that unit is roughly equally likely to be destroyed as any other, so if an attack kills 500 population then there's probably a 50/50 chance your trip dies. if you were to send maybe 10 units then it would average out a lot better and you may find that maybe 30%-70% of your units would die instead of either 0% or 100%

DeletedUser

Seen this many times now, I work with sending trips in twos, generally one sword and one archer, sometimes swapped with a hop.
I think every time I have lost both trips it has been revolted, have lost one of the two several times since doing this technique as well.

I assume there is some calculation depending on what type of attack it is compared with what defence units are there as well to add more complications into it working the % of death out.

DeletedUser

use a transport... more population used... but its guarranteed to only be destroyed after all the host city's troops and ships.

DeletedUser

use a transport... more population used... but its guarranteed to only be destroyed after all the host city's troops and ships.

not true - will be killed when all the owners troops present in that city are killed and hit by LS - if you dont send any troops with it, it will be killed by an attack that is naval only

DeletedUser

if you send a fast transport with 5-10 or so swords or whatever, then you'll have a pretty good idea of when the city is cleared

DeletedUser

Just send a transport, much more effective :D

Only downside of transport is that it only shows you whether the navy has held or not.

DeletedUser

not true - will be killed when all the owners troops present in that city are killed and hit by LS - if you dont send any troops with it, it will be killed by an attack that is naval only

Don't correct me... it makes me look stuped. :rolleyes:

DeletedUser

All I have to say is if my trip dies now and again it definitely doesn't always mean all the city your supporting troops are dead. As for transport trips, using transports instead of biremes is definitely better, transports are tougher than they look, as rooster has learn :p