Why Close Off From New Players?

DeletedUser

I don't understand the decision of Grepolis to close off Beta and other older servers from newer players joining. This type of game has no true "end game": only when a player chooses to quit, does he/she ever truly "end". These "worlds" (servers) are designed to be truly HUGE: one single ocean can easily support 2-3 alliances of 50+ members in earlier stages of the game (3-5 cities per player), and each server has up to 100 oceans.

Each new server started, the initial player-base is usually started towards the center of each "world", around the 40-60 oceans. The fringe oceans are typically mostly devoid of many players, cities, and alliances. So even with the older servers, there are TONS of islands and oceans within the "worlds" that are largely vacant of players.

Not too long before Beta was upgraded to the 2.0 system, I seem to notice some other, smaller alliances that were forming in the fringe oceans like the teens and 20s, 80s and 90s. By the size of the players and their cities, I could tell that they hadn't been players from the earlier days. I can't find their alliances now, as I think the most of them have quit.

It's a shame because after 2 years, many of the older players are growing bored of the game and are quitting. Alliances are ending and wars are petering out. Some new blood and activity could serve proud old Beta well, and keep her thriving. Keep pumping new blood into the older alliances that still exist, but are regularly losing members to quitting.

I just don't understand the business practice of constantly starting up newer servers that are just like the older ones that are still around, but are being closed off.....

:(

DeletedUser4013

New registration, on those worlds where the Age of Wonders has begun, was closed because it was felt that new players or even other players from newer worlds should be allowed to ride into the Hero Worlds with an established alliance. It is not an attempt to end the world, rather it is to ensure that the players who have stuck around since the beginning are allowed to complete the wonders and enter the Hero Worlds through that means of entry.

Lugosi

Strategos
Why is it then that when activity dips below 300 (or the amount of registered players, I can't remember) does the world get kicked off the shelf? I'd happily continue Beta even if I was the only person there.

DeletedUser5

It's because that is the point that InnoGames have chosen to shut the worlds while they are still economically viable. Below this number of players, the number of premium paying players will be so low, and they won't actually be getting any revenue out of the server after server costs.

DeletedUser13405

New registration, on those worlds where the Age of Wonders has begun, was closed because it was felt that new players or even other players from newer worlds should be allowed to ride into the Hero Worlds with an established alliance. It is not an attempt to end the world, rather it is to ensure that the players who have stuck around since the beginning are allowed to complete the wonders and enter the Hero Worlds through that means of entry.

Since you state the reason, now that the world has been "won" by PoC, why not have the older worlds opened to new players again? No new players will get the benefits of PoC's hard work. And the reason for closing the older worlds has now disappeared, at least on Beta.

DeletedUser

I came back after almost 1 year, I tried to get back into Beta because I see some of my friends are still around, but I can't get in. I am starting up in Heraklion. Maybe I'll see you there

180px-BOTRH_flag_svg.png
ashaman.jpg

DeletedUser

As they said its pure business, new players want a new server and not an old server with players who they will never equal nor have a chance to win against.