Why is this called Grepolis?

DeletedUser

Think about it: it's called Grepolis, clearly inspired by 'Greece' for 'Gre' and 'Polis', the ancient Greek for city, yet it has a Senate, a form of government and government building only the Romans at the time had. Or, turn it on its head and ask 'Why does a Greek-Based game have a senate'? I find this rather astonishingly and historically inaccurate, and it should instead be called a Bouleuterion or something actually Greek. I'm a new player, but this was niggling me and I had to get it off of my mind.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

while we're getting things off our minds... i always wanted them to write grepolis with no capital letters - it would be 100% better.

DeletedUser

Oh my God, this historical inaccuracy thing that has been posted a hundred times is kind of annoying. If you want historical accuracy, go read a history book.

DeletedUser

Well once you start making things accurate, where do you stop??

DeletedUser12667

Grepolis is not historically accurate:eek: Man my old high school history teacher is gonna be quite upset when I tell him the news. Not to mention all his student that he has taught since he started playing grepolis:eek: So I guess I can no longer tell my wife I had to play so I could help him get class material:(

DeletedUser11965

When was the last time a game was EVER historically correct. I play for fun, not to learn something.

DeletedUser

anybody who thinks grepo is not accurate is MISTAKEN...

i happen to know for a fact that the ancient greeks used to loot the 8 cillages on their island until the mood was below 80% and then simply demand until mood was >= 80% again... :/

DeletedUser

I'm pretty sure the grepolis commercial was more realistic...of greece not the game :p

DeletedUser12667

I'm pretty sure the grepolis commercial was more realistic...of greece not the game :p

anybody who thinks grepo is not accurate is MISTAKEN...

i happen to know for a fact that the ancient greeks used to loot the 8 cillages on their island until the mood was below 80% and then simply demand until mood was >= 80% again... :/

So I am good with telling my wife I am studying history:) Man that is awesome:D

DeletedUser

I was a bit dissapointed when I joined grepo. The adverts made it looks so good!

DeletedUser11965

I was a bit dissapointed when I joined grepo. The adverts made it looks so good!

What were you expecting? A full blown 3d birds eye view (Age of Empire Style) of your army fighting the enemy's army? That would have been too crazy :D

DeletedUser

Yeah! With blood and limbs and everything! But not the rape, mum would get worried. Kick me out of the basement.

DeletedUser30767

for me the question posted is same as why is 2+2 = 4 and not 3 ... ?? .. any ideas anyone ?? :p

DeletedUser

Think about it: it's called Grepolis, clearly inspired by 'Greece' for 'Gre' and 'Polis', the ancient Greek for city.

Wow man, great answer to your own question. :)

As for the inaccuracy, I personally don't care. In the ads I believe they should show some gameplay, of a person at a computer desk with their elbow on the desk and a hand on their face, a dull expression and the sound of 'click'...'click'....'click'...

DeletedUser

What Grepolis ads? The only ones I saw were very basic banner ads. Has anyone seen the actual Grepolis video trailer that is available on Youtube? Is it actually advertised on TV?

DeletedUser4426

What Grepolis ads? The only ones I saw were very basic banner ads. Has anyone seen the actual Grepolis video trailer that is available on Youtube? Is it actually advertised on TV?

Have you not seen the TV series of Grepolis?

Thanks buddy you made me LOL!

If you going to de rep me feel free to waste your time, i actually have a life outside of gaming.

DeletedUser

The problem is, you're all assuming "Grepolis" is made up of two greek words.... when its not.

Grepolis is short for a Polish phrase.... "Grepanzkinska Olisonikaz"....

Which roughly translates to: "Help! There's a hog in my kitchen!"

DeletedUser31929

Grepolis
Polis = City
I don't know what Gre means,something in Latin or another language or something?