words of wisdom from the experianced players

DeletedUser

Thanks Pebble....

Rooster Rule #6. - Hey Dummy! Use Your Academy.

How many times have you conquered a fully developed enemy city, only to find the city's Academy is mostly grayed-out skill boxes and 87 available Research Points.

Really???

USE YOUR ACADEMY.

Its like additional Premium... for free.

Free is good.

Some of the Academy Skills I think are a MUST:

• Shipwright - ships build 10% faster - Nothing is more important than your fleet recovery time.
  • Conscription - troops build 10% faster.
  • Plow - 200 more population. How can you NOT want this one?
  • Bunks extra 6 troops per boat - means less of your population for non-combat transports.
  • Phalanx - 10% extra battle strength for land troops
  • Battering Ram - 10% extra battle strength for ships
  • Cartography - 10% faster ship movement - great for helping defend other cities and getting your attacks to an opponent before they can react. Great for striking at those enemy LS Nukes.

Remember, you don't need to have every available ship or troop type.

And if you noticed that many of my must-have skills are based on ships... you're RIGHT.

But the reason for that will have to wait for Rooster Rule #2.

DeletedUser

Those are some good tips Rooster, not many tend to use research that cuts the cost and time of building units and ships in my experience, players tend to have every unit and ship short of catapults and triremes researched everywhere instead.

DeletedUser

in grepo, rebuild > everything else

=> anything which reduces the cost or rebuild time is a necessity.

DeletedUser

I admit, I'm a little dumfounded when I conquer a large city and it's academy is at lv 30 with barely anything researched. It is also quite annoying when you find that the player has started to research every single technology only to find out later on that he/she has run out of research points and there are still technologies left that are now unavailable (unless they reset a technology they have already researched). I am also annoyed when a conquer a smaller city and find that the previous owner paid no attention to their academy at all. All of their other buildings are at decent levels but their academy is tiny. You need your Academy, love it, appreciate it, USE it (as Rooster stated above).

DeletedUser

Rooster Rule #3. - OH MY GOD!

This rule runs along with the great points made by Horus, Pythagorus and Zeric...

After playing this game for a long time, I have come to the conclusion that the God who seems least helpful at the beginning... is the most valuable in the end.

Don't get me wrong, each of the gods have really cool powers... and each adds to the strength of your empire.

its probably best to start with Hera on your first city and as you build your empire have cities that worship each god.

But in the end, when you have several cities and you are deep in the fray... the BEST friend of your empire is Poseidon... and his mighty Call of the Ocean.

Ships built in HALF the time? For a lousy 60 Favor Points??? SAAAAAAAA----WEET.

Watching those tiny little dock workers dash around like Popeye on a deranged spinach high... cranking out first class biremes and top notch LS in half the time is WAY better than a bonus for a land attack.... or a pointless Lightning Bolt.

Focus the majority of your growing empire's temples on Poseidon - at least until the diminishing rate of return shrinks your investment too low.

Your teammates will thank you... and your enemies will rue the day they crossed blades with you.

And this too, ties into Rooster Rule #2... yet to come.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Absolutely, Poseidon has some useful spells that do not cost much favor. He also has the Sea Storm spell which destroys 10-30% of the targeted ships, sometimes handy if you want to even out the odds between your attackers LS and your biremes.

I agree that Lightning Bolt isn't that handy, if anything, all it will do is provoke the person you sent it to.

Hera is a good goddess to use for your first city, she helps you expand faster by giving you extra resources and by increasing your resource production rate. She isn't very useful for defensive or offensive purposes, but her spells will help you grow your first city quickly, which is vital.

DeletedUser20429

Probably some of the best advice right there.

Definitely. I wonder if I can dig up the screnshot of the 200 LS I destroyed in 2 cities. That was hilarious. The guy PM'ed me and raged. I blocked him soon after and he attacked back with 50 LS which was destroyed by my wopping 300 biremes. (Some were support) easy BP.

DeletedUser

Definitely. I wonder if I can dig up the screnshot of the 200 LS I destroyed in 2 cities. That was hilarious. The guy PM'ed me and raged. I blocked him soon after and he attacked back with 50 LS which was destroyed by my wopping 300 biremes. (Some were support) easy BP.

300 Biremes is not wopping.....

5000 Biremes is wopping...

DeletedUser

The best advice I could give in addition to my previous advice is:

DON'T GET RIMMED

DeletedUser

I saw a good one on another thread, this isn't mine:

The best defense is a CS defense... Stuff your harbor so full of CS, no light ships can get through. When you're done, PM me so I can give it the LS nuke test before it faces real attackers.

DeletedUser

Oh please someone do that!

I'll test the defense for you, it's brutal.

You won't lose a single CS if you have 20 or so stacked, I swear on ArShark's life...