Are there too many worlds?

DeletedUser

I've been playing Grepolis since it was about 6 months old. Started in Alpha and Beta, but left for Zeta and Epsilon as the speed matched my playing style better. The original worlds were scrappy, had real battles every single day and almost no simming. I really learned how to play this game in Zeta and Epsilon with some truly outstanding players. Many of us went to the Hero Worlds after the Age of Wonders ruined those servers.

The Hero Worlds brought together outstanding players from many worlds and that's where I discovered that, despite my experience etc, that I am only an average player in that milieu lol. The first few months were furious and filled with all the excitement of Epsilon and Zeta (I won't get into the argument of pre-made alliances here lol). We had a lot of fun and for some undefinable reason, we seem to have lapsed into a more sedentary style of play overall.

The rest of the worlds keep popping up all over the place and players move from one to another to see what the new world is like (myself included - while keeping my core worlds going). Eventually, we pick one that we like and that suits us and we leave the others.

I'm not entirely certain why so many worlds keep getting created - we don't seem to be getting thousands of new players, just recycling the rest of us lol.

My thought is that we should definitely slow down on popping out new worlds and give the existing worlds a chance to grow. I loved this game when it first came out. It became a second job for a while (you guys that have been around for more than two years know what I mean) until we reorganized our R/L and sorted out our priorities. Now, it seems that I can accomplish all my gaming goals by logging on only twice per day without much danger of catastrophic situations happening to my personal empire.

I don't know how others feel about this, but I propose that we find a way to slow down the new world production and let the current worlds run their course. When one looks like it will be ending soon, then it may be time to pop out a replacement world.

Thanks for letting me rant.

Spike
(btw, I use the same name here that I use ingame - nothing to hide here lol)

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Heya Spike,
Thanks for posting, it is a valid concern.

In theory, worlds are created when the old ones fill up.
Faster speed = lower player cap

So speed 1 worlds have a cap of something like 45,000 compares to around 15,000 in speed 3. (Not sure of exact numbers).

This month has been particularly heavy on worlds for some reason...

Inno is a business and it needs new worlds to keep the cash flowing!

It is an issue that has been discussed before... The solution would be to release more speed 1 worlds, however many people don't like them and complain when we get too many.

T

DeletedUser

I have pondered this issue... it seems the player pool is being diluted as players race from one world to the next.... abandoning the previous world as soon as they realize they aren't on top anymore.

Of course I've also pondered where all the gluten goes to when they make gluten-free food products....

DeletedUser345

Heya Spike,
Thanks for posting, it is a valid concern.

In theory, worlds are created when the old ones fill up.
Faster speed = lower player cap

So speed 1 worlds have a cap of something like 45,000 compares to around 15,000 in speed 3. (Not sure of exact numbers).

This month has been particularly heavy on worlds for some reason...

Inno is a business and it needs new worlds to keep the cash flowing!

It is an issue that has been discussed before... The solution would be to release more speed 1 worlds, however many people don't like them and complain when we get too many.

T

I disagree strongly tom, if you counted the actual player base who stay around for a month, perhaps even two weeks then you would halve the amount of players 'in' the world. Its not about just opening new world after new world to answer the 'demand' because there isn't any, i believe there should be a world every three weeks plus. The solution is not to release more speed 1 worlds, thats very logical isn't it? There's too many worlds! Oh I know the solution is to open more. What inno needs to do is have a tool which clears out the dead weight early on in the world. Perhaps all those who have 0-175 points and have been 'playing' for three hours should be removed and then for the first two weeks anyone that is inactive for three days should go. It is the fairest and best way.

DeletedUser

I think there isn't a thing like: To many worlds. There ìs such a thing as: To many worlds in a short time.

DeletedUser

I disagree strongly tom, if you counted the actual player base who stay around for a month, perhaps even two weeks then you would halve the amount of players 'in' the world. Its not about just opening new world after new world to answer the 'demand' because there isn't any, i believe there should be a world every three weeks plus. The solution is not to release more speed 1 worlds, thats very logical isn't it? There's too many worlds! Oh I know the solution is to open more. What inno needs to do is have a tool which clears out the dead weight early on in the world. Perhaps all those who have 0-175 points and have been 'playing' for three hours should be removed and then for the first two weeks anyone that is inactive for three days should go. It is the fairest and best way.

I think you misunderstood, what i was saying is that there should be more speed 1 worlds and fewer speed 2/3.
That way there will be a longer time between worlds as it takes longer for speed 1 worlds to fill up.

There is an idea in 'developments' about removing inactives faster at the start of the game. :)

DeletedUser13405

There are too many worlds. Yet the worlds folks are clamoring over (another conquest HW without morale) are not created.

And why does Inno need new worlds to keep the cash flowing? I may be misunderstanding, but in theory folks who have played a world for months would be more likely to spend cash on it than with a new world opening every couple of weeks.

DeletedUser

No, because early game is where you need gold to stay ahead/keep up with the top players. It is also more effective early game.

DeletedUser

No, because early game is where you need gold to stay ahead/keep up with the top players. It is also more effective early game.

Keeping up with the golddiggers is easy. Just make a big army to attack players when BP ends, then attack someone. Keep doing that till you have 900 fighterspoints (or more), and you'll be able to conquer 2 cities way faster then golddiggers.

J.n.c 1993

Strategos
It's pathetic.

Back in the old days, I've been playing since February 2010, and the worlds back then had great players, always competition, good fun and no one used to leave so early. But NOWADAYS, since Inno are releasing new worlds every 2 weeks, players from the older worlds are quitting to join the newer worlds. The worlds don't even get filled up properly... I play in Edessa It's only about 4/5 months old and I've seen the amount of players drop dramatically, it can fit up to 20k players, but now there is only about 2.8k players there. It's really bad... The edges of the map doesn't get filled up, NOT EVEN CLOSE!

Back in the old worlds, the edges of the map would fill or fairly close, especially if it was a speed 1 world (easily), even my best world Eta, so much competition, it got filled up near to the edge. But lately, I see NO where near any of the new worlds getting filled up.

They need to stop releasing so many worlds, just do 1 per month. Just throwing in my thoughts.

James

DeletedUser

I agree. Also i dont see how player-per-server limits are an issue... Early worlds had like 80k players from memory. Why cant we do that again?

Is it a corporate issue, or a hardware one?

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

They had 60k actually, and that is because they were speed 1.

Think about it, there is a limit to the number of cities that there could be in one world because the map is a limited size.

DeletedUser

I estimate there are about 10k starting anchors in each ocean (someone please correct me if im wrong, its a guess)

so each core ocean filled totally = 40k cities. But the core is only 4 oceans.... out of 100. Why waste all those slots?? May as well shrink the maps.

DeletedUser

you are waaay overestimating that.
There are about 500 players in ocean 45 of the latest world. I can't imagine that there are many more than 1000 in each ocean.

DeletedUser

So how to worlds have 20k players 36 hours after a world starts, and yet not have filled the core oceans?? Your figure doesn't make sense. I will ask the Envoy and get back to you on it.

DeletedUser

Because there isnt an even distribution around the map. Typically worlds are shaped weirdly, not in a perfect circle.

You can't say my figures don't add up. I have used three, two of which are completely factual. I don't know how many city slots there are in an ocean, but it isn't 10k.

DeletedUser

Ok fine. I just went into Niecea or whatever its called, and there is 53 pages of players in one ocean. (o55) each page is 20. So that is 1.5k in that ocean. times that by 100=150k, not 20k

DeletedUser

What an interesting discussion. I think that perhaps the title is a little misleading - I tend to agree that too many worlds in too short a period of time would be more descriptive.

I don't agree with the proposition that the speed 1 worlds are the answer. Most of us who started in Alpha and Beta quickly moved on when the Speed 2 worlds appeared, although I do concede that a lot of people did stay and play til the very end of the speed 1 worlds. It's not the speed of the worlds that seems to be the dissatisfier (from my point of view); it's that fact that players don't stick with one world long enough to help make it interesting. Thinking back to my first four worlds, players stuck around (perhaps because there were no alternatives) in spite of the fact that they were getting attacked regularly, eventually joined an alliance that was better at supporting them, then started to grow (using all those lovely BPs gained previously). With growth came thriving and with that came success and learning the subtleties of the game.

I greatly miss the adrenaline rushes of mass attacks (either giving or receiving), the staying online all night long to make sure I didn't miss anything, the scraps of paper by the computer with all my notes that would help me snipe an incoming CS or would help me coordinate a closely timed attack that would be horribly difficult to defeat (especially if I sent 2-4 different CS attacks to the same objective). It's been months since this aspect of the game was part of my grepo-life in spite of starting and leading second-tier alliances and picking on larger alliances lol.

More than anything, I blame the Age of Wonders for completely ruining the fun. It's attack, attack, attack - Age of Wonders (= simming for about a month) then someone wins, and it's attack, person leaves, attack, person leaves, then it's no one left to fight (= complete boredom) so I leave too. I know that the game designers want a way to free up servers for other games or newer versions of this one, but really, who was ready to leave Epsilon (or name your favourite old world) before the WWs ruined it for us? I'm just saying ....

Anyway, my point is that we have diluted the player pool as we all try to figure out which world we want to play in. There are no fights, no monster alliances going after each other, no prolonged battles, no wars, no tactics - all the great points of this game have been diluted along with the depth of the player pool in each of the worlds.

Can we please consider opening a world every 3-4 months instead of every 3-4 weeks?

DeletedUser30490

im pretty sure that wont happen cas like it was said before inno is a company which is looking for a revenue and opening a world is good for them as at the start of world alot of users use gold

J.n.c 1993

Strategos
@Spike... Lately it's usually every 2 weeks a world is released. I think it should be at least 6 weeks minimum before they release a new world.