Book Recommendations

DeletedUser31385

I'm just shocked you have never heard of the book. Not read i can understand but not heard of is just amazing.

Perfect time for me to find out what it is and see if I am interested in it. I will start researching it.

DeletedUser8396

I'm just shocked you have never heard of the book. Not read i can understand but not heard of is just amazing.

This^ I haven't read C&P, but I hardly go 2 months without hearing the name (then again, I do have a friend that idolizes Dosto).

DeletedUser31385

This^ I haven't read C&P, but I hardly go 2 months without hearing the name (then again, I do have a friend that idolizes Dosto).

I hear about certain books all the time. Nobody I know has read C&P so I have not heard about it. I did some research and it was written in the late 1800s, correct?

DeletedUser31385

Mid 1800's.

That is also a reason as to why I have not heard about it. I usually only hear about the new books when I go to a bookstore. I have read some older books though. I remember reading White Fang a few years ago because I saw the movie of it on TV. Older books aren't really advertised as much as newer ones are is why they get forgotten about.

DeletedUser8396

That is also a reason as to why I have not heard about it. I usually only hear about the new books when I go to a bookstore. I have read some older books though. I remember reading White Fang a few years ago because I saw the movie of it on TV. Older books aren't really advertised as much as newer ones are is why they get forgotten about.

No one forgets Crime and Punishment lol

DeletedUser50332

If we're talking Russian literature here, then in addition to C&P, I would recommend:
Leo Tolstoy's Hadji Murat, especially given Russian intervention in the Caucuses more recently.
And Gogol's Dead Souls.

DeletedUser31385

I've read quite a bit of English literature (not US). I just haven't gotten to other languages yet.

Varun

Strategos
If we're talking Russian literature here, then in addition to C&P, I would recommend:
Leo Tolstoy's Hadji Murat, especially given Russian intervention in the Caucuses more recently.
And Gogol's Dead Souls.

Since we are speaking of Tolstoy, don't forget War and Peace

DeletedUser50332

Lol, I was talking about Leo Tolstoy's work - 'War and Peace'

It's not his best work though, in my opinion.
(although the last 40 or so pages are excelllent as it describes his political philosophy, but has little to do with W&P!!!)

DeletedUser50332

One book that I would like to recommend is 'Q' by Luther Blissett.

It is a bit of an action-packed booked set at the time of the Peasants War in Gemany around 1525. It also covers a period of the beginning of the Protestant Reformation and how radical it was at the time to start having the bible translated into vernacular language, rather than only in Latin. Thus, it became understandable to the masses and not simply to an elite. This was revolutionary stuff!

Can I also mention that Luther Blissett was a former Nottingham Forest football player who went to play for an Italian football team. And he became famous in Italy for being such a BAD player!!! Anyway, the book is written by an Italian collective who took on his name as their own!

Entertaining stuff!