Ok this time l think we need something a bit harder so let's try some riddles. Remember if you cant do them all just have a go where you can because every point counts.
Answer these riddles. Some have more points than others as stated. Post below. Your answers will disappear but we can see them. This competition has a total prize pot of 2500 gold and will close at 9am on 11th December.
1. 2 mortals came across Aphrodite wandering in the woods. They asked her for a Christmas kiss. Aphrodite didn’t want to kiss them so she decided to set a contest. She took 2 golden stags from her stable and gave one to each of them. She asked them to climb on to the stags and ride to the edge of the forest. The winner would earn a kiss but the winner in this case would be the stag that came in second place. She thought that neither one would allow the other to come second so there would be no race and no winner. The mortals thought about this and found a solution. What was it? (2 points)
2. In 2021 Zeus decided to join Santa on his sleigh dropping presents down all the chimneys in the world. They started at the North pole. In which direction did they go? (1 point)
3. What can you catch but never throw? (1 point)
4. Artemis gazed around at the beautiful wintry scene below her. Then turned to Hades and said ‘ I love Pine trees but they are just so bad at knitting. Do you know why that is?’ (1 point)
5. I fall from the sky. I am beautiful. I am unique . What am I? (1 point)
6. I have made an appearance in Andros but I spend most of my time at the north pole. Who am I? (2 points)
7. Theseus climbed the steps to his turret and entered his private bathing room. The room was made of stone with no windows. As he closed the wooden door he heard the outer latch click shut. He turned on the taps and let the bath run full planning to work out his escape while he bathed. However, when he tried to turn the taps off neither worked. Assuming the room is watertight how will Theseus avoid drowning? (2 points)
8. Hades decided he needed to build up a few muscles in preparation for the Christmas party. After all he likes to impress Persephone. He picked up his bar and added a 25 pound weight, a 10 pound weight and 3 2 pound weights on each end. How much did he lift altogether? (1 point)
9. Christmas is made of the English alphabet but is still different from the English alphabet. How is that? (1 point)
10. Young Hera is afraid of monsters hiding under her bed. She usually runs from the door to her bed as fast as she can to avoid the monsters catching her. The door, and the bedroom light (a candle) are 12 feet from the bed. She manages to blow out the candle and jump into bed before the room is dark. Assuming that the candle is beside the door and does not move how did she do this? (2 points)
11. Athena is carrying a santa sack full of presents. Ares is carrying 3 santa sacks the same size as Athena’s but Ares load is lighter. How can this be? (1 point)
12. Zeus held a wine goblet that was filled to the brim. He raised the goblet in a toast to Santa and then let it drop to the floor without spilling a single drop of wine. How could Zeus drop the goblet from 5 feet up without spilling any wine? (2 points)
13. How many times do the hour and the minute hand cross each other in a 12 hour period? (Start at 12.00 noon and count that once) (2 points)
14. How many of each species did Moses take into the Arc? (1 point)
15. King Croesus has placed 99 sacks of fake gold coins in his cave with just one genuine sack of gold. All the sacks contain equal numbers of coins. Fake gold coins weigh 1 oz and the real coins weigh 1.01 oz. There is a set of scales in the cave but they can only be used once. How can you work out which sack contains the real gold? (3 points).
Total marks 23