Construction Cost Reduction Discussion Thread

DeletedUser

Had this issue with 2.0.

How many players play in grepolis? Apparently 20M.
How many people are on all the various forums? Maybe 20k... Tops.

That's 1% of the total player population... Assuming everyone voted.

So, a poll would hardly be a fair representation :p

StormVoort must feel strongly about the Construction Cost Reduction feature to ask for a vote on the matter.
Yet you seem to dismiss his suggestion by saying, 'a poll would hardly be a fair representation'.

Surely, what you say would have to apply to all polls held in this forum. So why hold them if they are not a fair representation?

Thibron

Phrourach
ok, Grepo "officials"...this game is starting to look like one that is so bent on increasing profits, it is becoming less fun to play. Basically, it gives the advantage to those with the most money. Why don't you just sell wonders directly? Log on, buy four wonders, become winner of the world in 5 minutes, then move to the next world...how fun :(

The last couple of changes have made the screen layout stink. First the menu is changed to the middle (from the left of the screen), then you cannot see the tabs on open screens like messages (forward, reply, delete), then it was just changed again and is just as screwed up as before...only differently. Instead of spending your time trying to figure out how to get more money, how about getting back to a user friendly screen?

DeletedUser

When I look at my Senate now, looking for the best use of my ressources, I see those icons everywhere, like telling me "hey, you could make it better by putting some more money in". As a result, I have less fun. Because I know it's less about good play.

I'm a classical premium user, so I know I contribute to this game's existence. But it requires a whole set of balances for a game to remain fun and attractive in the long run. Each time grepo will make this kind of change, it will be the last straw that will make a number of players leave.

The point about the beginning of a world is a real one, and not only for "love of the art". When you begin in that game, you're less likely to use gold, because it is claimed to be free, because you don't know all the tricks, and because you don't know yet if you'll like this game in the long run. So if newcomers get disgusted from the start, there will be less recent players feeling involved, and the confirmed ones will be called back by RL someday.
Translation for finance and business holders: I can understand the idea of advertising about a free game, then turns out it is not really free, and the non-premium players get less and less from lack of perspectives. But not from the start, it's too soon. It's the time you have spent on your game and all that happened in it that makes you want to fight for it, and subscribe premiums to fight better. When you study the mistakes modern companies make, it's very often about too short-term thinking. Due to the way they tend to work nowadays.

About the comparison with World of Warcraft: it's not the same market. There they spend more money, but get flashes and pictures that make them forget about it (no offense meant). And some dramatically ruin their RL. Here it's a more calm game, with less income per player but available for the much wider market of people who have some RL (no offense meant, again).

DeletedUser345

Perhaps innogames could introduce this premium feature a month or two into the world thus avoiding the issue where it unbalances the start of worlds?

DeletedUser

this is the worst devlopment you could come up with..out of all the great ones you select this

the game was a close one between player with and without gold but now premiums have a huge hand
cost reduction? this will totally ruin the game for the guys still in school with dads not willing to pay for gold and paying to win against ones with job

DeletedUser345

this is the worst devlopment you could come up with..out of all the great ones you select this

the game was a close one between player with and without gold but now premiums have a huge hand
cost reduction? this will totally ruin the game for the guys still in school with dads not willing to pay for gold and paying to win against ones with job

Well being one of those guys in school at the age of 16 I can't say this puts the balance out any further out of kilter, this game is still 100% more about activity than gold and as someone at school that is more in my opinion the greater limiting factor and always shall be.

DeletedUser

My opinion is that gold balances the game... Typically, people either have money or they have time. There are exceptions to this rule, but generally speaking this is the case. So, you have schoolchildren and unemployed people who can play almost as much as they want and then you have people in full-time work who don't have enough time for 5 minute farming, etc. but have some disposable income to lessen the gap.

DeletedUser

It very partly compensates. If you're not here to keep an eye on your cities, gold won't help you much. OTOH, from a certain size, the hourglass at each click will make it impossible to farm every 5 minutes.

I've been fond of strategy simulation games for long. It's always mostly about dealing with some virtual ressources to achieve other goals (growing, benefits, fighting etc). In the spirit of these games, something that can gain ressources from outside like this is cheating.
Different from classical premiums, which is kind of fee that compensates the costs, and that most ambitious players choose to subscribe.

So I feel this is denaturing the game. And from the comments here, many players feel this way.
TBH, now I've lost a lot of interest in this game.

Perhaps innogames could introduce this premium feature a month or two into the world thus avoiding the issue where it unbalances the start of worlds?
It made me think of something along the lines, some premium that would only become available if you've subscribed x monthes of classical premiums. Kind of loyalty reward. More in line with customer relationship principles. I think the length of a world justifies it. Roughly 80% of players ghost before WW era. Probably a field of profit improvement for Inno...

DeletedUser23986

Inno somewhere said they "upgrade" the game to make it "attractive" for the majority of players. I fail to see, why, they fear to poll on it!

Petrilo

Phrourach
Nobody denies the right to Inno to profit from their product, but their current business model is to sell cheats for their own game. Ridiculous.

I hope that at some point in the future we would look back and laugh at this... 'good old times when you were able to get stronger units, instant units, buildings, almost anything and sometimes everything, for money... if you are were willing to spend. Now we are all equal, playing a fair game, even the poor beggars. Those who know, possess the skills have the advantage...' Not seeing this happening though, unless a lightning bold strikes Inno HQ and make them rethink what they are doing, or players revolt and do something about it.

I don't know why I even bother playing a game that is in it's core rotten.

DeletedUser

i noticed in my barracks in one of my cities my slinger troops i had started construction on are stuck in a negative count down instead of creating the troops and keeps counting down from -6, -7, -8 ....... and so on. Also the time is doing a negative countdown. i don't know who to write about this but its effecting my troop construction just in that one city.

DeletedUser27700

Try refreshing your screen.

If that doesn't work, file a ticket through support. :)

DeletedUser

as for walking away, there will be more fun and balanced games, in the world of browser games to play, if inno continues with it's premium-friendly politics. they are cutting the branch they sit on! it's not only about grepo, it's about all of their games they made

i can't think of any original ideas to keep players playing the game... gold for top attacker/defender/BPer of the day/week and month? prizes for players who played until the server ends?

although, some of these also are quite achievable by gold but still

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

I hate this 25% cost reduction thing. It gives gold users a massive advantage over those that don't use gold. Gold users can play 1/4 of the time that non-premium users play, and yet still have double the non-premium player's points and BP. I believe most of us remember Nikossa, whose family owned a large stock of the Coca-Cola company. He was rank 1 in his world, with double the 2nd player's points. He had over 500k within the first few weeks. If he had had this 25% cost reduction, he would have possibly had 750K+ points (triple the 2nd player's points).
Innogames was supposed to make Grepolis a non-premium friendly game. I suggest a world with no premium able to be used at all, except some of the smaller stuff like summoning the Phoenician merchant.

DeletedUser

Premium features such as using gold to build building level and building time reduction is like giving Lex Luthor a Kryptonite Blaster to use it against Superman. People are abusing these 2 features together to build 10K cities from 1K city within 10 - 12 Hours of time. This is seriously a Buzz Kill. Even i am a premium player but this is plain Abuse. There are other ways to make money. Offer more features like more tools or Units even to build from premium. Like that alliance reservation tool now that could have been a premium option for alliance to purchase. Do something like that not gold for building. People with money to spend can easily build cities which takes normally 2 - 3 days for a regular premium (budgeted) player. Please implement an Abuse Proof for this feature because this is not done.

DeletedUser

Hi guys,

Thanks for your feedback so far. Can I please remind you that Grepolis has not implemented any premium changes in game for a long time. The last time Inno implemented a permanent premium change, was the price change (20 gold increased to 25 gold) in September 2012. Prior to that, the last feature was the unit reduction feature. With this in mind, I find it a little unfair for it to be said that Inno does nothing but line their pockets. Moreover, between the two of these features, the Phoenician Merchant was capped, as a direct result of player feedback.

The function of Grepolis United, is for you, the players, to be more involved in the implementation of new features, and for Inno to be more open and up front with the features they intend to add. It isn't, however, a be all and end all. The feedback given, doesn't mean Inno won't implement the new features. Grepolis United should be looked upon as a transparency measure, to ensure that players are aware of the changes coming their way well in advance. I'm sure you would agree that this has already been achieved.

The reality is this, however, if you want to make it about money. Innogames are a business, Grepolis is a product. Innogames employee a large team who work day in day out to improve this game. So yes, they do need money to pay for the changes they are planning. If you take a look at the Grepolis Roadmap, you will see multiple features and game changes being made over the next 12 months. Can you explain to me how you propose they develop, test and implement these changes without revenue? For example, a lot of outcry from the community is for a redesign of the way in which the way World Wonders work. This is something Inno has committed to do over the next 12 months, but they can not implement such changes without developers, and they can't hire developers if the product doesn't make money. Having said that, I genuinely think those stating that all Innogames care about is money, is a gross injustice to them and their work for you as a community.

As has been stated, the new features is available for testing on our Beta server. If you would like to give it a go, go ahead and sign up to Grepolis Beta.

Richard

While I have the ample means to pay for gold, I have chosen not to and gave away my top ten in my world account last month partially because of a gaming culture that seems designed to attract gambling/ win at all costs type of people vs people who want to test themselves against strong opposition and using their wits win on a level playing field.

Great game; but for me to play I would need a subscription model to cap fees and provide equal play opportunities. Also, would need features not to help me gain advantages unfairly (playing in greed/gambling nature of people, which I find harmful), but rather to avoid tedious work. I quit at around 55 cities as the premiums still make play too much work. Why not farm all cities with one push? Why must I pull a slot machine? I know why and it makes me sad you want to leverage gambling behavior modification as your business.

Like the transparency so I am returning it. Peace.