Create a "Stop Attack" feature in Battle Resolution

Would you like to see this idea implemented?

• Yes

Votes: 37 48.7%
  • No

Votes: 39 51.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser

Proposal:
INTRODUCTION -
Under the current rule system, all battles are resolved by (more or less) calculating how many casualties are created by the losing side before the losing side is completely destroyed. In other words, there is always a side that is completely destroyed. Sometimes both sides are destroyed or one side is left with an insignificant number of survivors. However, as a General, I might want to withdraw an attack if I am suffering too many casualties rather than take the chance that I could still win. As a potential target city, I know that I would prefer a cautious attack vs. a bold attack in hopes that the attacker would withdraw before finding out if he would win.

IDEA -
To create an input field in the "Battle" system where the attacker enters how many casualties (in terms of percentage) he will accept before he leaves the field. If he leaves the default percentage of 100%, then the battle is resolved as always. But if the attacker enters 50%, then regardless of who is actually stronger, the attacker automatically retreats and his attacking force suffers 50% loss (based on the attacker's TOTAL land force, rather than based on just the attacking land force).

Reasons for Change:
1) It allows for more variations in combat outcome (including outcomes where both sides suffer partial loss).
2) It allows a player to attack with a large land force without risking the entire force, especially if the attacker doesn't know much about the city but still wants to be active with his army.
3) Simulates actual battlefield decision making more realistically by allowing for retreat under heavy casualties.
4) It reduces downtime needed to rebuild forces when both sides suffer mutual destruction.
5) Bold attackers can still attack as always by not changing the default "stop loss" factor.

Details:
1] When the attacker clicks on the ATTACK screen, there would be a new field called "Stop Attack at this % of Casualties". It's default value would be 100%, which is the game's current inherent setting. It would provide for 2 other settings: 50% and 75%.
2] The factor refers only to land units and applies only to the land phase of a given attack.
3] The percentage is based on the Attacker's TOTAL land force.... not merely the land force involved in the attack.

Visual Aids: - na.

Balance:
To provide balance:

[A] Penalty Calculation: If a General sets the factor at 75% and wins, he receives 75% of the loot he would ordinarily take. If a General sets the factor at 50% and wins, he receives 50% of the loot he would ordinarily take.

Defender Casualty Bonus: If a city is attacked by a cautious general using a 75% factor, the final casualty calculation inflicted on the DEFENDER is decreased due to calculating an attacking force at the 75% level, rather than the 100% level. The final casualty calculation inflicted on the DEFENDER is decreased even more if the 50% factor has been selected by the attacker.

[C] Additional Penalty: If the attacker withdraws before winning, he receives the same intelligence from the battle as if he lost the battle (i.e. none).

[D] Further "Balance" is achieved since the optional factors become less helpful the larger the total land force the attacker has. To the extent the attacking force is less than 100% of the Attacker's TOTAL land force, the more casualties would have to be experienced before the 75% or 50% thresholds could be triggered.

EXAMPLE: If a General has 100 Archers (8 attack points x 100) and 300 Slingers (23 attack points x 300), his total land attack force is 800 + 6,900 = 7,700. If he sends an attack of just the 300 slingers, a 50% stop loss would be triggered when more than 3,850 slinger attack points are lost, or casualties of 168 slingers (168 x 23 = 3,864).

HOWEVER, if a General has 300 Archers (8 x 300) and 300 slingers, his total land attack force is 2,400 + 6,900 = 9,300. If he sends just the 300 Slingers, a 50% stop loss would only be triggered when more than 4,650 slinger attack points are lost, or casualties of 203 slingers (203 x 23 = 4,669).

So the more land forces are left behind in an attack, the less the stop loss factor can be usefully exploited by more powerful Generals.

Abuse Prevention:
Does your proposal open up possible exploits or make it possible for players to cheat?
It doesn't allow cheating because it is based purely on system math. As discussed immediately above, larger cities or more powerful Generals would be less motivated to use the option frequently because it is more difficult for them to benefit from the 50% and 75% settings. Frivolous use of the more cautious settings is automatically discouraged because of the lack of intelligence derived if the attack is withdrawn and the reduced loot obtained if the cautious attacker actually wins. The defender benefits from reduced casualties when attacked by a cautious General.

Summary:
The default "stop loss" factor of 100% allows a General to attack without experiencing any changes - - as per the current Status Quo. However, a General can choose to attack a relatively unknown city with a large army without putting the entire attacking force at risk if he is willing to accept less intelligence (if he loses) and less loot (if he wins). By mathematical definition, there would be fewer battles where BOTH sides are virtually destroyed in a single attack - - and less downtime by both the defender and the attacker while their armies are being rebuilt.

This optional flexibility allows for a greater range of outcomes and simulates the realism of being able to withdraw from some attacks when casualties become too painful. The new "stop loss" factors of 50% and 75% would also allow for de facto military "wagering" that parallels the risks and rewards experienced in poker tournaments, while becoming less and less relevant, or less available, to more powerful Generals.

The ability to withdraw from a battle in the face of high casualties is FUNDAMENTAL to moving Grepolis from "a fancy SIM game" to a nuanced and sophisticated battle system. As far as I can tell, the primary source for OBJECTING to this proposal are those with large systems of cities that **WANT** people to destroy themselves by attacking their communities - - rather than deal with people being able to avoid 100% destruction with each attack.

Administration:
Yes, this idea meets the Ideas Guidelines & Criteria.
Mathematically speaking, increasing penalties to the attacker or increasing bonus to the defender, or both, can be made if further balancing is recommended. In my view the more important issue is how difficult would the coding become. Since the proposal doesn't affect how screens or buttons or images are managed, I am hoping the coding is relatively easy to process. Aside from the creation of a new data field (to enter 100%, 75% or 50%), coding for this proposal is purely mathematical.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser2795

No. This would be way too easily abused. Suppose the following situations:
-as you mentioned, easier spying
-fake attacks that would receive few losses
-completely safe C-Ship's
-no penalty for attacking
You see, in other words, this almost nullifies the amount of effort you have to put into spying the enemy, building your army to beat them, timing your attacks, etc.

DeletedUser

JKP...,

I don't really understand your objections.

1) We can limit the application to land battles only.
2) Sending tentative attacks is not ABUSE.... it's NORMAL.
3) As I said towards the end, we can bar any special information to the withdrawing attacker so that it won't replace spying.
4) In fact, we could give the VICTIM of the withdrawing attacker the attack information since, technically speaking, the victim of the withdrawing attacker is the WINNER.

In other words... I don't see it nullifying ANY of the things you think it nullifies.

Lord Sandman

DeletedUser2795

1) so what is the use of even implementing this then? and it still applies as a problem
2)well, this way you could send 'tentative attacks' and receive no losses, while confusing the defender.
3)alright, but this still gives the attacker more information then necessary
4)the defender always receives the attacker's troop numbers, so it isn't like this is new.
and if you might have slightly misunderstood me, my final line was not based entirely off the former lines. If you were able to control exactly how your troops reacted to the attack, you would not have to worry about the defender suddenly getting support, you messing up the timing, etc. but those chances are part of the game

DeletedUser

JKP...,

I still don't really understand your resistance to this concept.

I was attracted to Grepolis because it had a superior battle system. I did not join Grepolis because it had a SPY system. While the SPY sub-system does provide a measure of realism, it is not the "draw".

To me, the "draw" is the combat. And I find it frustrating that I cannot tell my general to "give up the battle" if we lose too many men. This is the BED ROCK of combat tactics.

Fighting until 100% of the opponent is dead is very odd.... and completely unnecessary when all we need is one more "data field" and one simple equation.

The overall affect of this new factor would be to INCREASE THE NUMBER OF COMBATS, which I think is inherently favorable to a war-gaming system. And yet, it allows for the truly bold to fight without any changes at all... simply by typing 100% into the data field.

Those who chose to use a lower percentage would receive no special intelligence from their withdrawal. They would simply be willing to engage in MORE BATTLES, because they knew they would not lose everything on one bad day.

It's the way they actually fought ... then and now.

It seems like a Win-Win to me.

Lord Sandman

DeletedUser

Maybe if it had a 45% Minimum, or something like that.
Or maybe this would be a new morale?
Where, the bigger the difference in points, the larger player has to stay for more losses?

DeletedUser

I do not understand his resistance either. So what if the defender gets confused. I don't see where the attacker gets to much information if all he gets is a question mark. Fake attacks are only supposed draw a few loses, thier main purpose to draw the enemy away from the real attack.

DeletedUser

I like this idea, but there are some abuse issues that need to be addressed.

As stated in the first post, how much information on opponent troops should you get from the battle? I would think that if you run away, you should get no information because you essentially lose the battle.

One of JKP3nt's concerns is important and I think I'll address the other two below as well.

1) fake attacks that would receive few losses

-This is a serious abuse problem. When you can just send a hundred attacks at someone, using them as fakes, and being able to set the % of troops lost before withdrawing at 0%, you would lose 0 of those troops and that type of attacker advantage is abuse of your system. Maybe if you want to set some sort of % Cap so that you can't lose less than a certain % of what you sent.

2) An abuse concern of mine is how would it be determined which troops survive? When 60% of troops die, the remaining 40% return. Naval battles occur first, so your ships will always take the most casualties if you have lots of ships with your attack. So essentially, there is abuse here because it helps save your ground troops in case you run into a stacked city of biremes. So you would use your system as a safety net in case your battle ships die, allowing your transport ships filled with your ground units to return home somehow. I can't imagine how your transport ships can realistically escape the defenders ships if that were to happen.

DeletedUser

Eclipse,

Good comments.

1) The system change should only apply to LAND BATTLES. If the troops survive the naval engagement, when they land, the "Stop Attack" would then apply.

2) I'm not sure I get the point of the phrase "fake attack abuse". Right now someone can send lots of SMALL attacks. By adding this feature, it would mean someone could waste putting MORE TROOPS into units making small attacks.

This is not a bad thing. It's not even an issue to me. Let them.

These concerns seem small or irrelevant when compared to the extremely odd thing of being FORCED TO LOSE THE BULK OF YOUR FORCE, only to come out the winner because 2 chariots survive. No reasonable general fights battles like this..... except under extreme circumstances.

The new feature ALLOWS for these extreme circumstances, but allows generals to be smarter when they need to as well.

Lord Sandman

DeletedUser

If it's just land battles, then that still affects my concern. You could just choose to lose 0% of your ground troops, using your idea as a safety net for them.

The problem with how your idea would impact fakes is that someone would lose 0% of troops sending fakes at another player. It's essentially my concern above, which is that your idea would act as a safety net for your ground troops in fake attacks. You can't just decide for everyone that I'll just send 100 fake attacks at a player and choose to lose 0 troops out of it.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

I have no problem with putting a limit to the factor. Since the point of the concept is to focus on not losing a huge number of troops in a victory, I have no problem with making the bottom limit WELL ABOVE ZERO%.

In ancient days, a victory where you lost 25% was still pretty devastating. But we can make new soldiers a lot more quickly now. So if we went with a factor range of 40% to 100%, that would still be relevant.

Obviously sending attacks that risked NO TROOPS makes no sense. As it is now, a person has to send at least 5 ground units to be able to launch an attack.

So the proposed factor could be "40% or 5 units" (whichever is greater) to "100%".

Lord Sandman

DeletedUser

Actually, the attacking unit minimum increases as your gain points in relation to who you're attacking I believe, it's not just a constant 5.

I'd say that you can choose to have troops withdraw from battle after 50% of them have died. So anywhere from 50%-100% is what I would recommend you set as the cap.

DeletedUser

Please update your first post with any changes. This idea still needs more opinions and discussion though.

DeletedUser2795

I would be okay with a limit (I still do not like it though :S) but the limit should be proportional to the number of troops sent (ie, if you send the minimum number of troops, you would not even have an option to 'stop' attack, while if you sent all of your troops, the limit might even reach down to 50%). I guess that the reasoning would be that a smaller force would have no time to get away, while a large force would have time to pack up and run. The reason I ask for this is although there is the reasoning I just provided, but it is also to help prevent fakes (because 50% of a small number of troops is not a huge loss)

DeletedUser

I'm not convinced that something like this is really needed in this game. Other games where you have one base and no support do have a limit on the amount of troops you can use, but here the loss of all troops does not mean 'game over'.

Another point to consider is that when this idea is used for fake attacks, it increases the losses by the defender. A traditional fake is usually soundly defeated, often without loss to the defender. By sending a full city worth of troops as a fake, the defender loses the advantage of higher troop numbers in the calculation and will lose more troops before the withdrawal point is reached.

Overall, this idea does favor larger players.

DeletedUser

As requested. I have edited/revised the "details" section of the initial post.

But I have to say that I am not convinced this favors larger armies. The one thing no one wants is to wipe themselves out in a suicidal battle..... neither the winner OR the loser. Neither a large army or small army.

So.... if the attacker decides the losses are too steep, he withdraws. Saying this FAVORS LARGER ARMIES is kind of beside the point, don't you think?

The rule favors the prudent.... and BOTH SIDES benefit.

And they benefit in a way that is tactically realistic.

This constant harping on "fake attacks" should be dropped now that we are talking about a higher "minimum percentage". There's nothing fake about risking HALF your army! So can we cut it out?

Lord Sandman

P.S. Are you in some kind of panic or something? I've never imagined objections like this.

DeletedUser

thay don't like big changes :p

but i like it
it adds more to this game because like he said "why would you kill everthing or lose everthing"

but one thing i want to know is when do you put in the %

DeletedUser

The logical place to put this option is when you click on th city you are attacking, and then click the attack icon. The data entry cell could be at the top of the screen, or it could be placed next to area where you choose your quantities of land units.

Lord Sandman

Status
Not open for further replies.