Open Daily Quickfire Debates!

DeletedUser5819

I agree with you there Thomas.

Skully, thank you for posting. I must admit my flabber was ghasted by Mr M-T's post and I 70% think he must be playing Devil's Advocate. I checked all the points and like you decided not to address them piece by piece only to avoid going way off topic. You said it all so well.

Similarly for chalna - what skully said.

I was not envisaging official rewards as such for whistleblowing, however being a whistleblower already carries heavy unofficial penalties. Getting another responsible or high level job in the industry you have "betrayed the trust of" the peers of those who would be employing you is surely near impossible. The price is already very high, and I feel that it is right that there should be social kudos and support for doing the right thing.

Gonna suggest a debate on taxes for Mr M-T to vent his spleen and get some worthy responses.

DeletedUser

Well, moving on:

Should school pupils do a 45 hour week?
45 hours a week, 45 weeks a year.

DeletedUser

Seeing as quite a few adults work 37.5 hours a week, why should children have to work more than an adult?

DeletedUser5819

No.

I mean...that's a wide open question. Most kids in the UK start school at 3.5 years old. In fairness any with all their parents in full time employment will be doing 9+ hour days already in daycare, so might not move to the state schooling system so soon, where the babysitting cover is only 6 hrs a day and an hour of that is lunch. In fact usually at first the provision is only half that.

So... to take the question at pedantic face value, should anyone who is a pupil in a school do 45x45? Well, if schooling is not compulsory then I suppose it is sustainable but a strange thing to insist upon.

A better question might be whether (state) schools should be required to provide that coverage of babysitting to enable the populace to take on full-time work. However unless one parent works in the same town as the school 9hrs a day would still not be enough. If they commute to the city and do a standard 40hr week themselves then a 55 hour week of babysitting provision would be required.

In the UK the school-day-school-year required of government funded schools is " at least 380 sessions (190 days) in each school year." and although no requirement for hours per session are made 9-3 or 3.30 is normal.

In the privately funded sector it is normal for provision to be much longer, enabling parents to earn the fees. 7:30am to 8pm with meals included is not unusual. The actual school day would take 8.5 hours of that time and enables far more education to take place, with sport and non-academic education included every day. In fact many fee-funded schools require Saturday attendance from age 11 or 13.
On the other hand these schools are usually only open 30 weeks a year, not the 39 or 40 weeks of the govt schools.

I think it would be nigh on impossible to keep kids over 11 in prison...school 45x45 without actually providing a hugely expensive range of interesting and useful educational experiences, and I cannot imagine the taxpayer wearing it. As it is our govt has to threaten to imprison parents to keep many teens in school (yes they have actually imprisoned parents for not ensuring their kids attend) we are clearly way short of the mark. The problem of providing useful educational experiences in a safe environment to the masses at a price the masses are prepared to pay seems overwhelming.

In short more provision would be good, but more enforced participation would be bad.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser5819

You and many more. Could solve the population problem I suppose. Perhaps that could be an argument for even more imprisonment of young folks for no personal gain to them.

I wouldn't vote for it.

DeletedUser

Well, moving on:

This seems like an impulsive random solution to a non-defined problem :p

I mean, why? Is there an inherent problem with education? If there is then I'd like to know what it is to suggest alternative solutions; if there isn't then my answer is no, a child should not do 45x45 because such a huge change to a working (as far as I know) system just seems foolish to me.

+ I don't want Pushty to die (I think...)

DeletedUser

In a world of ever expanding knowledge and endless innovation of thought & science... the burden of keeping up with the new and the improved will fall squarely upon the shoulders of the youth who will live within that world.... the youth who will rule that world.

So it always has been. So it always shall be.

When I was growing up, we TOO had to learn all the required skills to master the world at that time... you know... learning the tell-tale signs of scurvy... the science of crafting long bow string from human hair... and the advanced math required to figure out exactly how many wildebeest are required to feed a tribe of seventeen.

Two and a half. The answer is two and a half.

Did that all take 45 hours a week and 45 weeks a year to learn? No.

It was a simpler time.... we were simpler folk... who spent most of our time dancing around the fire and bleeding from our gums.

But if you want your fancy world of high technology, advanced science and oral hygiene... you're going to have to spend some time learning about it.

For what its worth... you shouldn't feel so bad.... the next generation will have to spend 60 hours a week in school... learning how phase photon collectors work.... and how to avoid the morlocks.

DeletedUser

This is just such an extremely inconsiderate, egocentric thing to say. We are all very impressed with your badass ability to stand up for yourself, but as your fallacy is anecdotal, not everyone is such a marvellous bruiser as you apparently are. Bullying is a problem and even though I would rather call it telling on someone than whistleblowing, even at this scale, it is necessary and should definitely not carry any repercussions.

no where did i say it was because i was physically superior, nor did i say i won those fights......

DeletedUser33530

Well, moving on:

I don't think making school longer would improve anything. The smart and hard working will still succeed and be able to one day fire all the people they hated from their companies. The lazy kids will just be lazy for longer hours and regret it just the same. Oh and of course (this is for the US) the government will still blame all of their failures on the teachers.

DeletedUser

There is a 35x35 system here, 35 hours a week, 35 weeks a year.

I remember from my own time that staying at school from 8am to 3pm with only 10 minute breaks in between lessons was pretty draining. If any more was added it would have become excruciating.
On the other hand, it was mostly plain lessons, if one would increase the break-time between lessons and include some non-conventional lessons to the bunch (things which are mostly considered extracurricular atm), it could very well be worth it. Students would be engaged to stay in school if they'd have the option to do what they like instead of what is forced on them. I guess it's pretty much what waldorf-schools do at the moment, but I'm not too familiar with their system.

DeletedUser5819

My youngest is in school 11.5hrs a day and loves it. When he was too young to stay past 6pm he wanted to board. He sill looks disappointed when I arrive to collect him </3
You might think he hates it at home, but that is not the case, honest :D

My eldest couldn't wait to get home when he was in school 6hrs a day. He is in a much better school now for 10hrs a day + travel, but still takes every opportunity to get out early. Just not so desperately.

People are different, and any increase in enforced imprisonment is wrong for many reasons, not least because it will be wrong for some people, and that will damage them rather than improving them.

Is it time for the next debate yet?

/whispers taxation.

DeletedUser33530

Skeaky has children!?!?! :eek:
Why have you not introduced them to us here yet?

DeletedUser5819

Because they are not here :p
They have both played a bit, thankfully in Grepo (unlike Tribal Wars) I cannot sit their accounts and therefore can manage not to stress over their youth and inherent farm-like qualities.

They may return later but for now they are happy playing games with more movement, and audible social interactions :p