Open Daily Quickfire Debates!

DeletedUser

Moving on-

As a parent, would you rather your child went to university and got a degree or went and learned a trade (i.e. Electrician, Carpenter, Plumber, Welder etc etc).

DeletedUser44426

I would have to say no. Because college is not really that much more important, regardless if it makes life easier or not. My uncle, before he died, became a businessman without going to college. He owned many restaurants to and made a really good salary. If many people can find good jobs without college, then so can my child without college.

DeletedUser

would you rather your child went to university and got a degree or went and learned a trade (i.e. Electrician, Carpenter, Plumber, Welder etc etc).

Hypothetically speaking... is my toilet currently clogged?

DeletedUser44027

I would say get a degree, but that's a product of how I was raised. As a child, my parents would verbally berate me for every "bad" (some of them were still above average) grade I received, and, as professionals and college graduates themselves, were constantly were pushing for me to not just "get into college", but get into a good one. In this day and age, the job market isn't as open as it once was, and I think it's important to have every advantage that you can get. From the perspective of the world I was told, "not having a degree means you can't get a job". Now, as an adult, I see this is untrue. As much as I would like to say it doesn't matter which option you take, however, I would like my child to be in a spot that will help her more, so I would reccomend for her to further her education. While both options are feasible, people tend to aspire for there children to, at the very least, accomplish what they did, and for me that would be my daughter living out her life in a nice, suburban, middle-class neighbourhood (ie working in IT, becoming a chemist, becoming a veterinarian [her favourite choice :p, although I hear the cost to go to school for that is quite high], etc.)

DeletedUser

all of those trades can produce a large deal of money if you are skilled, irdc it's my kid's life and I might tell them the pro's and con's or advise them on colleges i wouldn't pressure them either way.

DeletedUser

I would have to say no. Because college is not really that much more important, regardless if it makes life easier or not. My uncle, before he died, became a businessman without going to college. He owned many restaurants to and made a really good salary. If many people can find good jobs without college, then so can my child without college.

Just because it was easy for him doesn't mean it will be for your child. Let's say your child wants to be a lawyer. He walks into a firm one day and asks for the job. Well too bad for him, not gonna get it without that law degree. Let's say he walks into a science lab and asks if they'll hire him to let him say help them with genetic engineering. Not gonna happen. Heck, even if he asked to become an electrician without at least a 2 year degree he probably isn't going to get the job. That's how it is these days. He could be the best lawyer, genetic engineer, architect, etc. but without a degree...

You say many people can find good jobs without a degree but more often than not a degree of at least some sort is going to be needed for those 'good jobs'. My mom got her associate degree and worked her way up to a job that paid 70,000 dollars or so. Without that associate degree she probably wouldn't have.

DeletedUser44426

Just because it was easy for him doesn't mean it will be for your child. Let's say your child wants to be a lawyer. He walks into a firm one day and asks for the job. Well too bad for him, not gonna get it without that law degree. Let's say he walks into a science lab and asks if they'll hire him to let him say help them with genetic engineering. Not gonna happen. Heck, even if he asked to become an electrician without at least a 2 year degree he probably isn't going to get the job. That's how it is these days. He could be the best lawyer, genetic engineer, architect, etc. but without a degree...

You say many people can find good jobs without a degree but more often than not a degree of at least some sort is going to be needed for those 'good jobs'. My mom got her associate degree and worked her way up to a job that paid 70,000 dollars or so. Without that associate degree she probably wouldn't have.

But your using Ifs, and your saying these days. Things will not be the same when my child is old enough to find a job. You cant use todsys structure because of it. While my uncle got a good job without going to college, only proves the fact that college is not always needed.

DeletedUser

Simple, if they are good(not medium or goodish) they would go to college of course, if it was my choice, and if they were very good, they would go to the best possible.

DeletedUser

But your using Ifs, and your saying these days. Things will not be the same when my child is old enough to find a job. You cant use todsys structure because of it. While my uncle got a good job without going to college, only proves the fact that college is not always needed.

Your using implemented ifs as well. Whose to say things will be better when your child is grown up? And your using the 'If one man can find a good job without going to college so can my child'. Wouldn't you rather give your child a broader range of selections instead of just assuming he's/she's going to become successful just because your uncle did.

And besides, you treat college as if it's just something used to give jobs when it does more than that. It teaches many skills, useful skills. You can't argue that he'd/she'd be better off not going to college. And if he's/she's better off going to college why not send him/her or try to send him/her? You whole logic revolves around the fact that one man you knew made success without a college degree.

DeletedUser5819

People are different, and so are carrer paths. Some are impossible without a degree.
If your child has an entrepreneurial spirit and wants to go into business s/he may well succeed. However for the many who are not self starting, the life and soul of the party, or good at pushing themselves forward, qualifications enable them to prove to their employers that they are worth promoting. It is a hard lesson to learn 5 or 10 years into a career when you reach the ceiling and kids with no experience step in above you because they have the papers.

I hope both mine will go to uni, however if the musical one gets a break before that and decides to follow it thats fine with me. He won't be without work. The Geeky one will need a degree and a career path. They are different people.

DeletedUser18132

Nope. I'm really sentimental about everything though, and that's a bad thing... :/

DeletedUser

Care to explain why not? :D

I am pretty happy that the things that matter most to me are not inanimate objects.

DeletedUser33530

Let's get one thing straight Tom. If I have to choose between you and my cookies I won't have a moments hesitation in choosing the cookies. :p

DeletedUser33530

Not all baked good. I think I would pick you over a blueberry muffin.

DeletedUser

I'd kill for a blueberry muffin right now.
Anyway- Onto a more serious debate.

"Commerce with all nations, alliance with none, should be our motto".
That is a quote from Thomas Jefferson.

What is your opinion about this?

He is essentially saying that countries should not be in trade blocs, but simply trade freely with all nations. (Or at least, that's how I interpret it).

DeletedUser33530

Well this was a statement solely about the US. I see it as saying "who cares about Europe and their wars, let's just stay and the sidelines and make money off them".
I totally agree with this however Americans ego is too big to remain in just North America ;)