Discussion Re: Moderation and Mods

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser

I am finished here...they only hear what they want and I am sure by now I am colored as a trouble maker. Just want you all to think about this ; If you have a lot of money and time invested in a game wouldn't you want to have a voice ? The standard answer is always some form of the following : "Contact mod so-and-so with any further complaints"...but what if mod so-and-so IS your complaint? Whos side do you think the other mods will fall on ? Who's got power to silence you on the forums? Who has the power to end your game play at their own personal discreation? If you don't think it could happen, think again. As of now I don't plan to come back to the forums. Whats the point?

DeletedUser

So this is accusing mods of biased behavior!

I'm not sure about this... If you msg Betsy I guess she can get it handles.

DeletedUser4965

Well unfortunately, as everyone's aware, we can't discuss a specific ban. This is why we're being so general.

Admin Staff rarely get involved? So, what if they're involved? Why can't all mods, as a group, decide whether a player should be permanently banned?

And banned players can post in the forums? Well in our "example", the banned player cannot post in these forums. So the banned player just so happened to break separate rules for in-game and forums to get banned in both places?

What about support tickets? How come our hypothetical banned player can't get their support tickets answered?

DeletedUser4013

And when are bans that allow players to still be attacked used?

My feelings on an Attackable Ban is that they are imposed when a player has blatently violated the rules time and again. In such a case, that player will not be allowed back into the game and therefore forfeit all their cities to others.

Most times a Non-Attackable Ban will be put in place.

DeletedUser

So this is accusing mods of biased behavior!

I'm not sure about this... If you msg Betsy I guess she can get it handles.

Well we would have a problem with that if we were discussing a specific ban. But we're not.

DeletedUser

Dag68, I cannot be bothered to say what everyone else has said. I just think that if you have a problem just contact ac04 or betsy who don't play any worlds.

DeletedUser4013

Well unfortunately, as everyone's aware, we can't discuss a specific ban. This is why we're being so general.

Admin Staff rarely get involved? So, what if they're involved? Why can't all mods, as a group, decide whether a player should be permanently banned?

And banned players can post in the forums? Well in our "example", the banned player cannot post in these forums. So the banned player just so happened to break separate rules for in-game and forums to get banned in both places?

What about support tickets? How come our hypothetical banned player can't get their support tickets answered?

Nietha, this is bordering close on not being general.

To answer your other points though, you need to realize that Admin Staff are Betsy and RyanWard08. Admin Staff should not be putting themselves into a position that compromises themselves as Admin. The decision for imposing a ban is discussed among the Senior Mods (Titans and SIGMs) since we are the only people aside from Admin that can impose a ban on a player.

A player who has been banned can have their support tickets answered. However, where they continuously spam the support system with appeals and other requests, it makes it harder for IGMs to carry out their duties.

I will not address the other point about your 'example' as that is no longer 'general'

DeletedUser4965

My feelings on an Attackable Ban is that they are imposed when a player has blatently violated the rules time and again. In such a case, that player will not be allowed back into the game and therefore forfeit all their cities to others.

Most times a Non-Attackable Ban will be put in place.

Well I wish you were the mod in question. Unluckily for us, you're not.

DeletedUser

Attackable bans are used for either repeat offenses or when a rule breach is of a very serious nature.

DeletedUser5

I am finished here...they only hear what they want and I am sure by now I am colored as a trouble maker. Just want you all to think about this ; If you have a lot of money and time invested in a game wouldn't you want to have a voice ? The standard answer is always some form of the following : "Contact mod so-and-so with any further complaints"...but what if mod so-and-so IS your complaint? Whos side do you think the other mods will fall on ? Who's got power to silence you on the forums? Who has the power to end your game play at their own personal discreation? If you don't think it could happen, think again. As of now I don't plan to come back to the forums. Whats the point?

You're assuming that every single mod has the same opinion on everything. Believe me, this is not the case. There have been several situations that I could call out off the top of my head, where there have been disagreements over certain situations. I am not going to bring these to light as they are irrelevant to this debate. The reason I brought them up is to point out that we are all our own person. We have our own opinions on things, and some of us like to make them heard more than others.

You should never assume that the senior to a moderator, nor the people they are senior of, have the same views. If you are disagreeing with a low level moderator, then you don't know if the seniors will agree or not until you ask them. If you are disagreeing with an admin, then you don't know whether the other moderators agree with them.

Also, remember that there is always someone more senior that you can approach. They may not always be directly accessible to you without going through the support team, but they exist none-the-less.

Why are you not coming back to this thread? It is a debate. It is not one sided, there are multiple sides coming into it, so please continue to debate. Perhaps all of your worries will be solved through it.

DeletedUser6029

I have to say, I find this whole thread pointless. Mods have a hard job, but without the mods you would have no game. If you tell them they no longer can play the game, your essentially going to cut the amount of mods down to nothing, and again, no mods, no game. Now before anyone tries to say I don't know what I am talking about etc let me tell you I have been victim of poor mod decisions, chewed out by eclipse and mailed by betsy for infractions I did not agree with. BUT and let me qualify this BUT very clearly, at the same time all of the Mods whom have made bad calls have also been involved in some very good calls. There has got to be more to this story than what is being UNsaid, because I myself have fired off some pretty colorful retaliatory PM's to all the mods in question, and have not been banned. Including one to Betsy. Now that being said, if we have a grievance and we say our piece all we can do is let it go. For starters, the Mods are human, and they are players, and they are all individual, and they have a lot of variables they have to deal with on a daily basis. The entire Bowes Foundation can leave based on this hypothetical issue, but Grepo will STILL putter along just fine. What is done is done, and as I said having my own share of run ins with the mods, I think they do a fine job overall. Look at it like being a parent, not all decisions are the best, but they are best stood by, as they are the best of the options. I think it is time to stop wasting time on this thinly veiled hypothetical issue and move on. Let it go.

DeletedUser1405

Im sorry, is this real? How can a person mod a game when they have no experience of it, i have never had any problems with any of the game mods and if i did i would move to the next level of the games moderators, it is kept fair by not allowing the mods to play the worlds they mod in.
Secondly if you have a problem about an infraction or ban, appeal it and speak with the none playing mods(as someone said earlier).
This thread should have been locked ages ago as everyone just keeps repeating the same thing.
Im sorry if im upsetting anyone but personally i could not take a warning seriously from someone who doesnt know what or how the game is played.
Thats my rant for the year. (soap box back in cupboard)

DeletedUser

personally i agree with dominotx711, yes the mods have a hard job, yes they sometimes make bad calls, yes sometimes they make good calls, they are human and they are gamers, we dont expect them to be perfect. what you must understand is that, i am not discussing a specific ban, im just remarking upon this fact incase you wish to close the thread on this matter, that as a member of the Bowes foundation, we respect matt because he was just trying to support one of our memebrs, ultimately, we just want our friend an leader back, and we did not know who to turn to when the people we were supposed to turn to in times of trouble seemed to be the "enemy" in this case

DeletedUser

As for mods or admin being biased, Betsy Plays in alpha and in world 2 of the test server. and not once has she used her position to scare of any of the other players. Also i was a mod on ikariam a game most people know about, and people do make mistakes but they do continually check and make sure a person deserves the ban before they ban you.

DeletedUser1405

Well im going to be the first to actually thanks the mods for the job they do, it is a thankless task with little rewards, and dont bother moaning about the pay they get.
The job of modding is hard enough with the sour grapes of people moaning because they have had their wrists slapped for doing wrong.
Im say get a life and leave us alone, we want to enjoy the game without the cheats who are regulalry caught and reprimanded.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.