Dotw #2- What is the best stage of the game?

DeletedUser15240

Welcome to another Dotw, feel free to keep the last one going if you like.

All credit to osl112 for coming up with the idea.

dotw.png

Every week, a question will be asked, which you can answer with your opinion below. There will be a couple rules in place to make sure this doesn't get out of hand as well as the normal forum rules.

Rules:
Respect is key. Respect everyones opinion, even if you don't agree with it yourself.
Keep on the discussion topic, don't stray.
No egotistical nonsense of any kind, everyone is equal, no matter of in game rank or so.
Do not begin flaming, or I will have to act accordingly.

I will also be requiring some new topics to discuss weekly, so if you have any suggestions, just push them over to me and I'll pick a popular topic to discuss.

So, this weeks question:

What is your favorite stage of the game and why?

Which stage of the game do you prefer:

Early: 1-5 cities
Middle 5-21 cities
Late: 21+ cities
Very Late: 60+ cities

Please give a reason for your view

Discuss away :)

DeletedUser23516

My favorite stage is right after BP ends, and I mean minutes after BP, and you have 30 attacks coming in, and you are sending out loads of attacks. Its intense

DeletedUser

me thinks you are over exagurating.... most psople haven't built ships by the end of BP.... so you would be maxing at 15, but then you can guarantee 50% are never going to grow... so that cuts it down to 7-8... on a good island...

Personally my favourite is when the conquest wars start.

DeletedUser22940

I personally like mid-game.
Most alliances are established by then.
Provides a challenge while also giving you the fire power to actually engage in wars.

DeletedUser

I have to agree with Saintedstarr. My favorite part of the game is lat mid-game to early late-game (15-30 cities) that is when you have set alliances and large scale wars and everyone has a good amount of firepower. that is also when the most skill is involved. you need the best timing to attack and defend at that point in the game because you have to leave no gaps for a snipe and you don't have enough troops to throw some away aimlessly by not worrying about the order of troop and LS nukes but landing them all close. To snipe you have to hit a 1 second gap (if your lucky) perfectly with as many troops as possible.

DeletedUser

A week after BP ends, because alliances have the foundation, and its always fun to see where they will go :)

DeletedUser

I actually find it hard to chose... Every stage has its own thrill (though I've never been to the Very Late yet).
I guess mid game is where most fun resides, but then I know that Late game can be extremly captivating as well, if you have some good wars on your hands. Early game fun too, with the first conquer race, and with stomping out your island neighbors :)
If I were to rate them from 1 to 10, I'd put it like that:
Early game: 7
Mid game: 9
Late game: 8
Very late: ?

DeletedUser

Which stage of the game do you prefer:

Early: 1-5 cities
Middle 5-21 cities
Late: 21+ cities
Very Late: 60+ cities

I am between stages to be honest. I loooooooove the mid game. Wars actually feel like wars at this stage, and there is significantly more fighting. And if you don't have to obsess over keeping everything nice and organized with the admin like you do when you have a lot of cities in the very late stage.

What I do like about the late stage, however, is the badass feeling of being a one man army. I have 76 cities to play with in Tau, and if you get some proper organization going on, its a lot of fun :) especially with a little help from excel.

DeletedUser

Middle because not everybody is worried about World Wonders as they are focusing on getting more cities

DeletedUser25060

Probably middle, lots more noobs to make fun of and conquer. Only been playing for about 6 months so not overflowing with experience.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Early part and I think the good part is just right around the corner and coming up quickly. The very active, experienced, or gold assisted players have had conquest for a few weeks now but the rest of the players should about be coming up on getting conquest and putting some boats in the water for their second city. They'll be the normal ghost and inactive towns being gobbled up but I wouldn't be surprised to see some new wars started over disputed cities. Once that happens we should really start to see some fun.

DeletedUser

Personally, I've not enjoyed the early part. As a noob in an alliance of much older players, I've been brought back to my childhood when all I wanted to do was get big like everyone else! Roll on puberty!

DeletedUser

Their is nothing like the conquest of your first enemy, calculating your clearance waves to land just before your CS lands in Revolt worlds, or clearing your first conquest target in Conquest worlds. Building an alliance from scratch and teaching new players techniques and watching them learn and grow and the enjoyment they get from our game.

DeletedUser

Me myself. I like when Conquest begin It's always fun to see alot of players Raceing to Gain conquest But in a way Late Gameing is always fun too Players with 20+ cities Size each other up.

DeletedUser

Welcome to "Resurrect a Thread", a new regular feature with your host, Spodamemnon.
Here we have a nice Discussion of the Week (remember them?) about everyone's favourite stage of the game.
Last posted on in April, this thread deserves to be brought back to life because nothing, but NOTHING, is more interesting to read than people's meandering thoughts about a completely pointless topic.

So here goes.

I'm in two minds, here. Obviously I like the early stage of the game when you can just till your fields and build up your marketplace before all those mean soldiers come and steal your wood.
But then I also enjoy the late stages when you build 10 swordsmen, hunker down and hope the rest of the world doesn't spot you.

What's that? The game goes on even longer? For another 17 months?
You must be ********* kidding me.

DeletedUser29225

I laughed pretty good at that post. Nice work. Truer words have never been spoken. I have played this game for a long time and on many worlds. The reasoning is because I always got so bored after a certain point. Once the killed stopped what was the point. Everyone had 20 cities and it took a ridiculous amount of fighting just to take 1 city. I was in the same boat as most where I would easily lose interest in this game and would just idle on by until a new world with interesting specs was about to start.

This is the first world I will probably see all the way through. The disappointing thing about this world is that it started off so interesting and then a bomb went off and that interest hit the walls and slowly fell down to the floor in to a slimy, oozing pile of boring. I have never, ever, in the 8 or so worlds I have played seen so few alliances this early in the game. It is aggravating.

My favorite time in a server, or more specifically THIS SERVER, was right after conquest started. We were ATARI, 13 people fighting against The Precedence, an alliance of 60+. We were looking for cities to conquest to make our alliance and players stronger and they wanted us to merge. We refused and slowly... actually very quickly, broke into war. We were losing cities left and right and treading water like nobodies business. Then we open'd a can o Woop a$$ and never looked back. We took city after city after city. It was a game of birms. If you could land a cs and get 200 birms in that harbor, there was no one that could break it.

Then after a couple of weeks we merged, then broke up, then merged. We had an on again off again relationship. Then merged in two weeks time with Idle Hands. This was due to the ongoing threats of every ocean having a gigantic alliance around us. We didn't really stop to smell the roses and realize everyone was too scared to actually venture out of their oceans.

Anyhow, WDS was created and war broke out with WP. Again still very interesting and entertaining. The kind of interest that has you waking up in the middle of the night wondering, did I send out my LS nuke long enough so that it wont get killed if someone attacks me an hour before I wake up?

Now that the war with WP is over and the SA war was less than 1 week, we are in a state of peace time. (Sorry other than the war with HASH, but honestly for me it is peace time because I am so far removed from that war). Now I poke around maps looking for some poor sole to unload an extremely unnecessary amount of troops to clear a city of 20 swords, 180 slingers and 2 manticores.

So I think the result of my typing this out has me left realizing that there is no "best stage" of the game. The best PART of the game is fighting. Bring on the blood.

Thanks for the trip down memory land spod.

DeletedUser

Welcome to "Resurrect a Thread", a new regular feature with your host, Spodamemnon.
Here we have a nice Discussion of the Week (remember them?) about everyone's favourite stage of the game.
Last posted on in April, this thread deserves to be brought back to life because nothing, but NOTHING, is more interesting to read than people's meandering thoughts about a completely pointless topic.

So here goes.

I'm in two minds, here. Obviously I like the early stage of the game when you can just till your fields and build up your marketplace before all those mean soldiers come and steal your wood.
But then I also enjoy the late stages when you build 10 swordsmen, hunker down and hope the rest of the world doesn't spot you.

Spod.... you're killing me with laughter mate. As always. i still chuickle over the mable post....

My favourite bit is yoas of yet undecided.

DeletedUser

Now that the war with WP is over and the SA war was less than 1 week, we are in a state of peace time. (Sorry other than the war with HASH, but honestly for me it is peace time because I am so far removed from that war). Now I poke around maps looking for some poor sole to unload an extremely unnecessary amount of troops to clear a city of 20 swords, 180 slingers and 2 manticores.

So I think the result of my typing this out has me left realizing that there is no "best stage" of the game. The best PART of the game is fighting. Bring on the blood.

Thanks for the trip down memory land spod.

i agree Oliver. I havent been on this game long enough to truly appreciate all stages of the game. I have enjoyed all parts so far on this world. Its been great.