Milestones Era of World Wonders

DeletedUser48096

Nobody actually knows what the Colossus's stance was or even what it looked like, But it is accepted by experts that the statue didnt stand in the harbour as many later artists suggested but instead the general belief is that it stood on the hill over looking the town. But the colossus stood for almost 60 years before it was brought down by an earthquake in 224 BCE. So not only is the picture structually impossible (It would need a third point or leg to be on the ground to keep it standing) but it also wasn't in the harbour as the picture presents.

But if you want to go down the subject historical inaccuracies, I suggest you look up the Hanging Gardens of Babylon Jams. Structually in the ruins of Babylon there is no evidence for their existance at all which as a result has led to many scholars and historians to question their existance entirely due to that lack of evidence. Historians writing around the time don't mention them and the first mention of them is after the believed date of their destruction so their is no contemporary accounts of them. It is believed that authors who mention them were purely representing a romantic ideal of an eastern garden rather than any building covered in a garden with water channels as presented in much later paintings and drawings. Many experts believe the real gardens were actually the just gardens belonging to Assyrian king Sennacherib (704–681 BC) who built gardens in his capital city of Nineveh.

DeletedUser49162

I have to ask do ye just look up the real wws to show off here about them

DeletedUser

Cato99 said:
I have to ask do ye just look up the real wws to show off here about them

No GGN knows everything. When the internet isn't working Google ask him for all the answers .

GGN said:
(It would need a third point or leg to be on the ground to keep it standing)
Quite fortunately and coincidentally i do have a third point of contact with the ground, oft mistaken for a leg...The Colossus of Serbia :p

DeletedUser45577

Yes, there is some dispute about that amongst scholars regarding the location and the pose of the Colossus of Rhodes.
Most scholars believe the pose straddling the harbour is impossible for two reasons. One, it is not a traditional Greek pose of a God and this is the sun God, Helios, that is being depicted. Secondly it's because Rhodes was both strategically and economically important and the construction of the Colossus in such a manner would have meant the closure of the harbour for the duration of construction. The most likely location of the Colossus is at the harbour entrance, on a breakwater, with hand raised to the head to shield the eyes from the rising sun or held aloft a la Liberty and maybe even holding a torch that could be lit for night navigation.

As to the Hanging Gardens there is historical evidence in Nineveh of glorious gardens built and recorded as accomplishments by Sennacharib, whereas no mention of them is made by Nebucandnezzar in Babylon. It's most likely Greek historians mistook the name "Gates of the Gods" to relate to Babylon when Nineveh was also given that same name.

DeletedUser

Wow guys, many heartfelt thanks for paraphrasing what you just read on wikipedia...

Side note: Nebucandnezzar is an amusing name.

When the internet isn't working Google ask him for all the answers .

:D

We are all entitiled to our own opinions and if I disagree with someone I will publically disagree

Yes, some of those opinions just happen to be glorious beacons of light - others can only hope to improve. *snigger*

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser46851

I am really happy to see you post on the externals today Cod :)

DeletedUser45577

Some of us know these things from knowledge garnered whether for education or entertainment purposes.

Wikipediea is a faulty and sometimes dubious source of information, not unlike yourself SC, that I have rarely utilised.

DeletedUser48096

I dont need the wiki page to talk about historical facts SC.

Yes, some of those opinions just happen to be glorious beacons of light - others can only hope to improve. *snigger*

No more than yourself then it would appear..

Also I now know who one of the negitive feedback posters is. Cant say Iam suprised with it as I noticed that they were online at the same time as me and suddenly negitive feedback appeared on my notifications at the same time. The silly person even signed the feedback to me with "~ GGN"... I wont name them yet, But surfice to say this person is a member of Apoc ZT.

The GM

Phrourach
I don't know about that, I find the rep system gives a fairly accurate description of the kind of posts you can expect from each account. Some randomly selected examples:

Sir codfish - "Sir Codfish is a glorious beacon of light"

Generic Greek Name - "Generic Greek Name can only hope to improve"

The GM - "The GM is infamous around these parts"

That said, it'd be nice if it wasn't anonymised, to prevent all my mystery Generic Grey reps from this Nameless person...

Oh come on Cod, even the blindest of pitiful souls on this server know you are as crooked as an elbow. You deflect all the blame away yet again to serve your petty needs. Just have a look at the rubbish you and your non-English speaking posse of clowns have stooped to new lows in plagiarising others with my rep.

I too would like to know who has a real problem speaking English as their comments are baseless and would be offensive to a lesser man than myself. I like the one You Cod even signed as GGN, claiming that you are a grep king, lol.

It is a real shame that Apoc have tarnished my glorious reputation with their endless barrage of neg repping myself and GGN it seems. In certain countries they wait with bated breath for guys like GGN and myself to speak. Whole economies are based around our honesty and words of true wisdom.

NEG REP.png
[Edit: New rating: "All hail Jamo is the King of Grep". These comments are as pathetic as watching Apoc attack. Yet Jamo (the self appointed King) still claims you guys are good fighters? The Nazi's were good fighters too and they still got smashed back to where they came numerous times...]

Last edited:

DeletedUser

The GM said:
Yet Jamo (the self appointed King) still claims you guys are good fighters?

For the very last time GM, I am not a self appointed King of grep, I was anointed by archon Of Corinth and Reddevils90210..I am the self appointed Serbian Jesus.. so 'King of Kings ' is a bit more accurate :p
I don't think responding to the accusation that Apoca are good fighters or not is helpful as at this point it is academic, however if you really want me to explain the obvious i will (not entirely happy to desend back down this road ..again, but will)

The GM

Phrourach
Oh dear, and yet the latest pile of dribble attached to a neg rep claims to be from GGN "Jamo and Cod are Grep Kings".

Smells like, stinks of, looks like a down-trodden rotten fish again to me.

Your patheticness Cod on the externals sums up your whole alliances activities throughout this whole journey.

Last edited:

DeletedUser

Your patheticness Cod

Is... is that a real word?

It is a real shame that Apoc have tarnished my glorious reputation with their endless barrage of neg repping myself and GGN it seems. In certain countries they wait with bated breath for guys like GGN and myself to speak. Whole economies are based around our honesty and words of true wisdom.

Congrats, it's rare for any humour to be gleaned from your posts - on this occasion it's most appreciated!

As for me once again being labelled a neg rep fairy. It's been proven people are pretending to be me (as I can't give grey rep), the reverse is just more nonsense. You make my own point for me, it can clearly be seen in your pic that I claimed the neg rep I gave you: "You're so full of lies and fluff - SC"...

The GM

Phrourach
Is... is that a real word?

Yes it is;
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/patheticness

As for me once again being labelled a neg rep fairy. It's been proven people are pretending to be me (as I can't give grey rep), the reverse is just more nonsense. You make my own point for me, it can clearly be seen in your pic that I claimed the neg rep I gave you: "You're so full of lies and fluff - SC"...

For the life of me, who would want to pretend to be you? You do enough damage to yourself without anyone elses help. Just imagine the monstrous state of Apoc now if there were two of you Sir Cod!

DeletedUser31057

Heads up!

Now that the former Apocalypse-ZeroTolerance player CWBIII has ghosted, the Apocalypse-ZeroTolerance WW Hanging Garden has been lowered into level 9.

Let us see how the Apoc could catch up on this another milestone in en72 Hermonassa. :cool:

DeletedUser48096

Let us see how the Apoc could catch up on this another milestone in en72 Hermonassa. :cool:

:D

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news for Apoc but for those realists like myself it might be time to admit thats not likely... Those monitoring the situation would have noted that TDs Garden was on level 9 before CWBIII ghosted. Now Iam not willing to note what stage the TD wonder was at or if it was ready for upgrade when CWB ghosted. But when CWB ghosted Apoc lost a level on their Garden, they will have also lost all the res on site too. So not only do they need to re-complete level 9 but they are also in a resource race with TD. A race they have lost before. So now they are behind in a res race with TD... what chance do Apoc have?

In my humble opinion... Slim to none...

DeletedUser31057

Well said GGN.

Yes, all knew the Apoc-ZT chance at the moment for WW Hanging Garden is slim to none. But what would our friends from Apoc-ZT say on this. :D

DeletedUser

Well said GGN.

Yes, all knew the Apoc-ZT chance at the moment for WW Hanging Garden is slim to none. But what would our friends from Apoc-ZT say on this. :D

i would say for a player that disappeared when the war against apoc started and re appeared at ww you're coming back with some interesting opinions .. ;)