Is Beta really dead?

DeletedUser

"It is always the calmest before the storm"

The quote above has been proven throughout history. Time and time again, the world will quiet and all will prosper for some years.

But Grepolis is not the world. Grepolis is a browser based simulation game, of the world. The key word here is simulation. A simulation game, by definition, simulates an event or time period. A good simulation game should follow the events well. Now you make a connection, simulation of the world and the world.

There is a depression among the players of Beta. A certain sadness and worry that the world maybe just maybe is actually coming to a close and everyone has spent more than a year of their life for nothing. For it all to end because the foundation of the world is set so solid none can break it. No one dares challenge any alliance that isn't on the rim. But look at it from a different view. Consider the foundation of Beta as the foundation on a game of Jenga. Each brick seems to be key and the one who toys with it brings the whole tower (world) down upon them and their mates. A fear of losing. A fear of bringing down the wrath of the world on oneself. That is what Beta has, not a foundation so solid no machine can topple it. Everything may be set in their ways and all players may have powerful allies, but this is NOT SOLID. The world is slimming and each piece holds more power than the next and no one challenges the order.

The fear is that alliance A is allied with alliance B and we can handle alliance A but alliance B is a no no. The fear is bringing down the world. I am no massive player. My alliance is no world power. In diplomatic terms were a small country that is well set. The simple fact is no matter what alliance you are in it can seem this way. DH is at war with DS and that is it. No one touches anyone else until the mega-alliances do or say to. The truth lies in your leaders heads. Each one knows somewhere that something must be done but what can be done? What can one alliance do to fight a behemoth alliance? Who can charge a castle when the first defense is a insurmountable wall? All we can do is ally with other alliances and sit and talk about what our plans our. But is that it? Have times gotten so bad that a once flourishing and exciting world filled with the best players known to Grepolis can't realize that all it takes is one overjoyed poke at a single block to cast the world tumbling down and have it rebuilt?

By now you probably forgot the quote I stated at the very beginning. The complaints about inactivity and loss of skilled players are futile. Dark ages have been overcome. By what? Certainly not just talking and messaging or someone posting on the forum. But by those who take a risk to stand above the crowd and shout to the world "I will not stand and watch. I will take action". Is communism ever ended by doing nothing? No. Was the Berlin wall passed by simply down talking the government who put it there? No. Certainly slavery of the Jewish people was not ended by crying out to the slave drivers. It was ended by people, or a person, standing up and taking the reins. Does that quote not apply to Beta? You all can do it. No matter how many cities you have or what alliance you are in. Change takes one person. Who will that person be? No one knows. But next time you say or read someone saying "Beta is dead" just laugh in your head and remember, it is always calmest before the storm.

So is Beta really dead or is it just on the brink of a massive thunderstorm so large it will shake all of Grepolis? You decide for yourself, because only you can make the change...

DeletedUser

Yeah it's dead/dying. The first year was so much better than this one in terms of things going on..

DeletedUser345

When I went quiet the forum went quiet...

Co-inkidinks? :p

DeletedUser

Ya know what if we were given what we promised with the upgrades nearly a year ago it wouldnt be falling apart. Inno has to get the finger out and give us what was promised. They keep starting new worlds but dont take care of the old really bad business model if yo ask me

DeletedUser

Personally, Beta has died long time ago. I still played when I thought it was dead. I still do that with certain games (online ones). Does it bother me? No. But there is a point, when you need to leave a dead world. I did that a while ago. May this world see more flowers in the future than it has in the past.

Btw, Phen in their prime was one of the top. But every alliance, when they start to decline, merge into others or accept others to merge into them. Sometimes destroying themselves/others in the process. But the true best alliance in Beta was/is... (wait for it) Oh wait, the world hasn't ended so that hasn't happened yet. Jeez.

[This is my farewell]

Btw it's been fun bickering/political talks and all that fun jazz in Beta. For those few precious months where I enjoyed this game (roughly 9 or so), I thank you for your time, service and taking some of my money out of my ignorance. May the players enjoy each other with political talk and such.

Hopefully catch some of the better players (talkers & fighters) in another online game. But unlike Bowzer, I won't return. ;)

DeletedUser

Ya know what if we were given what we promised with the upgrades nearly a year ago it wouldnt be falling apart. Inno has to get the finger out and give us what was promised. They keep starting new worlds but dont take care of the old really bad business model if yo ask me

I agree... I'd also say that it would be sensible to give the donators (or those that have donated recently) some sort of incentive to start playing on other worlds. I dropped a lot of coin in this world at some points and I probably won't start playing another world when I'm finished here. However, if they offered an incentive, then I would probably try another world out.

DeletedUser

I should have left EH earlier. Since leaving the attacks I have received from DS has gone up 100% ^_^

Lugosi

Strategos
I should have left EH earlier. Since leaving the attacks I have received from DS has gone up 100% ^_^

I think that's because EH is seen as some scummy disease like they had back yonder so no one likes touching EH; they're like the dirty kid in the corner of the class who picks his nose and eats it but on a more vulgar scale. Now you're non-EH, you're touchable . . . well just about; some say eGOD is a disease within itself o.0

Other news AEIS are rank 2 in 44 just about . . Progress through luck :3

DeletedUser

Personally, Beta has died long time ago. I still played when I thought it was dead. I still do that with certain games (online ones). Does it bother me? No. But there is a point, when you need to leave a dead world. I did that a while ago. May this world see more flowers in the future than it has in the past.

Btw, Phen in their prime was one of the top. But every alliance, when they start to decline, merge into others or accept others to merge into them. Sometimes destroying themselves/others in the process. But the true best alliance in Beta was/is... (wait for it) Oh wait, the world hasn't ended so that hasn't happened yet. Jeez.

[This is my farewell]

Btw it's been fun bickering/political talks and all that fun jazz in Beta. For those few precious months where I enjoyed this game (roughly 9 or so), I thank you for your time, service and taking some of my money out of my ignorance. May the players enjoy each other with political talk and such.

Hopefully catch some of the better players (talkers & fighters) in another online game. But unlike Bowzer, I won't return. ;)
Otis I never came across you in game, but you were/are a respected member of the Beta Community and will be remembered as a reverent leader and a damn good forum poster. Farewell. Good luck in all you do.

On another note it seems my thread has spared a conversation here. With Pepe Silvia appearing, does this change anything for Beta? Is it a push forward or backward? Or is it even an event worth mentioning?