Mods Playing

• Thread starter The Great Toast
  • Start date

DeletedUser

Ok this is a ingame discussion if you think it should be moved to the agora move it Alpha. ;)

Should mods be allowed to play ingame? It gives you such joy when you rim a mod , or when you become allies with a mod. But... They earn like 2000 gold a week. Is that really fair? They work hard, but this gives them a huge advantage over the regular players! Also they know "everything" about this game. Did you notice on many worlds current mods or retired mods (such as The-Iceman) are in the top 12 or number 1? Your opinions below.

Note: I have nothing against mods playing. I just wanted to bring up the topic.

Richard

Strategos
We get monthly gold, not weekly :)

I'd say a lot the (ex and current) mods who are in high ranks are there because it takes a certain level of interest in the game to want to help support it. A lot of them were good players even before moderating.

I don't think I know any more about the mechanics of the game than I did before joining the team, other than the likes of known bugs, or in my case, how revolt works (I hadn't played a revolt world before I supported one)

If anything, we are at a disadvantage because we have less time to play.

:p

Good topic, hoping for some varied opinions in here.

DeletedUser6029

I think that their seperation of "mod"ing from the worlds they play on makes it more than fair. I get more than 2K gold a month if I wanted to, and I don't have to deal with whining people like me to get it :D

I can't imagine a mod taking advantage of IG info...to be honest, I don't think they have access, and secondly, 2k isn't that much really. So I don't see a conflict.

DeletedUser8467

I think they should be aloud to play.......there just normal gamers? In game they are just like you or me.

Gold doesnt make a big difference....not 2K anyway.

As other posted before, alot of the mods were already playing before.

And why would you bother to be a mod if you werent still playing the game? Wouldnt they then lose interest?

My thoughts :)

DeletedUser

Well they earned that gold, it's like if you have a good job, and work hard you get paid more than someone else, it's the same scenario.

Aicy

Strategos
Mods are volunteers and none of them would volunteer to be a mod if they weren't allowed to play.

DeletedUser

I don't think being a mod brings any specific advantages ingame, apart from the gold, obviously. But even with that, a player without skill does not become the best on the server simply because he has premium advantages. Moderators are not allowed to moderate the world they actively play on, that's strictly enforced by Betsy.

As IG-mods, it's not like we have access to super secret insider info, either. We also don't have access to information on worlds other than the one we moderate, so it would be quite difficult to cheat.

Yes, moderators should be allowed to play on a world they are not involved in.

DeletedUser909

There are only two scenarios whereby someone does not play this game.

1) They've never played Grepolis.

Which makes me wonder where we would actually search for moderators and how would they be able to answer tickets if they didn't have some knowledge of the game.

2) They've quit playing Grepolis.

If they've quit voluntarily, then they're not here any more. Hard to contact someone who's not here.

If they're forced to give up their game in order to moderate, then what incentive do they have to moderate? And, again, how are they going to be able to answer questions about new features?

I've been at this job for a long time now. I have noticed that the players who seem to squawk the most about moderators playing the game are those who have been caught cheating. It's like a defense mechanism of diversion. "I'm not cheating. Look, that alliance over there is cheating. They have mods in it and the other mods are helping their friends!"

DeletedUser

In a game like this, you need some kind of police force to prevent cheating. If they receive a little extra something, it's fine.

As for them being in the top 12, this just gives everyone an incentive to display them from those seats.

A game isn't fun if you really don't have a goal.

DeletedUser

This is a pointless discussion as there is no way to state if a mod was ever accused of an abusing their position as it goes against the rules of this forum such as
-Do not attempt to provoke the moderators.
-If you have a query or problem with any of the moderation, do not create a topic about it. please PM Ac04.
And especially
The moderators have the right to edit or delete posts and close topics. Please follow their instructions.

So there will only be a general chorus of "yes, of course they should"

Now I expect this post the deleted and have the following imposed on me for stating the obvious.
Players who deliberately act against the building of the community will be denied access to these forums.

DeletedUser

I like attacking mods because I get owned

like the grepolice and the witness protection program that was funny every one was like our targets are them.

DeletedUser

I am a Game Moderator on the .nl version myself. We've all got different Moderating worlds and we are not allowed to play on those worlds. There is no way for these Moderators to get information about their own world. All the options to receive information are blocked, so you guys don't have to worry about that. The only advantage to f2p players is that they receive 2,000 gold a month which is a small compensation for the work they've done. Although there are alot of players who are buying more than 2,000 gold a month so I think it is a really good system to play fair.

DeletedUser909

This is a pointless discussion as there is no way to state if a mod was ever accused of an abusing their position as it goes against the rules of this forum such as

So there will only be a general chorus of "yes, of course they should"

Now I expect this post the deleted and have the following imposed on me for stating the obvious.

Pointless and yet you joined it.

The "victim" mentality is what is pointless. Why not just debate the idea if you feel that mods shouldn't play the game instead of expressing your overall dissatisfaction with mods. You could start by re-reading my first post in this thread and commenting on it specifically.

DeletedUser8467

So there will only be a general chorus of "yes, of course they should.

Iv only just ventured outa my own world forum, and into the main forums, but jujdeing by the ppl in our world forum, we are all very opinionated, and if a Mod was to post somthing we didnt agree on, im shore there would be players posting in disagreement (being as nice as possible of coarse :)..)

I would happily disagree and debat with mods, IF i thought i was correct.

In this case, i think its pretty str8 forward.

It dont think anyone really has a leg to stand on, to debate this issue.

But then thats what debating is all about :)

DeletedUser

Actually we are prohibited from having powers in worlds we play. They are stripped from us if we have world powers the second we join that world.

Now I expect this post the deleted

posts are not allowed to be hard deleted only soft deleted (shows everyone your post was there to everyone even when deleted) and that only happens when a rule is broken. While your post is made while you had no idea what on earth you were talking about it doesnt break a rule as ignorance is easilly cured. If you would like a list of our rules that could potentially cause you to lose a post please click here and read happilly knowing you have gained insight to the minds of a mod.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser8467

okay this might seem off topic and a silly noobish question, but is about the mods...(i think :S)

Iv noticed that alot of ppl posting have, like cronus, have stuff like Titan and hero below there names.......ahhh again a silly question (But to know, you need to ask), but what do these mean?

Im assumeing its some sort of title, but what are they?

Again sorry for diverting off the topic. But iv been wondering this for some time.

EDIT: Okay its been explained to me :) thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

I am not rebelling against the mods! Just thought you should know! I am glad to see peoples opinions. Even Queen Betsy's.

DeletedUser6029

I just want to bring something to light here....

Most mods despite their great egos, and grand titles, ARE NOT THE LARGEST players. I know a few mods, and when I look at their stats, their modding has given them absolutely zero ingame advantage. I think that becoming a mod distracts their attention from the game. I am bigger than most of the mods, and so even if they did have an advantage, what value would it be for them?

I personally have no beef with them playing, because as I have shown, the advantage is on me :D