Morale Opinion

What is your opinion of morale?

• Total voters

Baudin Toolan

Grepolis Team
It can be rough at times but I can understand the benefits to smaller players so I just try to avoid picking on the little guys

DeletedUser

The concept of morale, at least in its current form, both on TW and Grepo, is too flawed. The negative side of it to larger players is steeped too high. If someone decides to play a war game, and log in only once or twice a day, they deserve to be farmed :)

DeletedUser

The concept of morale, at least in its current form, both on TW and Grepo, is too flawed. The negative side of it to larger players is steeped too high. If someone decides to play a war game, and log in only once or twice a day, they deserve to be farmed :)

I only log in maybe two, three times a day..

But, I'm also on for ~4 hours after each time I log in.

DeletedUser

I think this should be bumped up with there now being 4 consecutive worlds with Morale active, and around 90% or people i speak to hating it!

DeletedUser

many of us started out (whether on TW or grepo) being a small player who was attacked by much bigger players, but that didn't stop us learning the game and moving to a new server to put that into practice and become a better player ;)

i reckon morale keeps noobs from learning the game in a way by stopping them being attacked by experienced players, who will obviously have far more points than them - and that is surely the best way to learn! (although i think i just convinced myself of this point right now, so may not feel the same in a day or so :p)

DeletedUser

Morale is counter productive in many ways. Morale helps simi-inactive players the most. Those players are the least desired in any alliance. They seldom attack/defense or chat with other players they add little to nothing to the alliance.

Active players no matter when they start the game will continue to grow with or without moral. So, sooner or later every active member get punished because of moral.

Active large players that get forced into being small moral helps them the most less chance of a forced restart.

Overall for the sever it means less targets a active player is willing to hit. This turns into more boredom for those active players. The more bored an active player becomes the better chance they go find anther game to play.

Penalize the active player. Reward the inactive player. The Average Joe/Jane gets nothing.

smaller players and those defending already get
1) ability to make defensive troops quicker then offensive troops
2) defensive troops have a better resource balance then offensive troops
3) the militia (250-375 extra troops every 3 hours)
4) ability to stack troops
5) wall that defends up to 141.9% more then troop average
6) tower the defend a extra 10%
7) Divine Forces that can destroy 10-30% of the attacking force

Seems to me this game already favors the defender which is normally the smaller player ..... but all these advantages only go to the active defender

Most active players don't need the advantage of a morale system and an inactive shouldn't get any advantage from a morale system.

So I do not see the point of a moral system, i would rather see beginner protection last longer or a type of morale system for the first few months of game play when starting a new account within a old world as long as it phases out at some point.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

The morale rule has been questioned before when Grepolis was quite new. The forum issues were such a concern Inno Games, the company that owns Grepolis, conducted a vote with all players directly through their accounts as the game was designed to incorporate the morale rule within it, however it came later as the game was already being played at that time; such is the case with free games. The result of this official poll conducted by Inno Games indicated that the majority of players preferred the morale rule. However the company consented to permit non-morale rule servers to exist for those that preferred playing this way. In this respect Inno Games relented to change their coding to permit non-morale rule servers to exist.

The justification Inno Games offered for conducting this poll was simple. The vast majority of players choose not to use the main forum and in this respect it does not accurately reflect players viewpoints. I happen to agree with Inno Games here and it is a matter of concern when the people they engage to represent them as moderators continue to contest this matter.

The original post about this, which was instigated by Yondo and well moderated by Tyrion can be found below. It is perhaps a shame a few moderators here continue to contest the wisdom of Inno Games.

http://forum.en.grepolis.com/showthread.php?t=5523&highlight=morale

Those that wish to contact Inno Games directly over this matter can do so here:

http://www.innogames.de/en/contact

Always remember no one is forced to play on any server settings and as far as I can see, Inno Games are simply offering player choice. It is however true that the server setting are not well explained to the players and they should be encouraged to make this more transparent to players before they sign up. This way all players will have an opportunity to choose more wisely.

Happy gaming regardless of what servers you choose to play on.

Cyrus

DeletedUser

The result of this official poll conducted by Inno Games
....... It is perhaps a shame a few moderators here continue to contest the wisdom of Inno Games.

perhaps a few moderators saved InnoGames from making a huge mistake.

the problem with hidden polls are simple.
1) they are taken before people really know what they are voting on.
2) questions can be set in a why that confuses the user
3) then you have to trust that people taking the polls are telling the truth .... how would we know if they consider everyone that don't strongly oppose the idea, as liking the idea.... some things are truly based on opinion.

last thing everyone always forget every poll and statistic tells only half of any story.

tracking the players base tell even a better story then any poll
5 moral severs with 80,240 players (80,240 / 5 ) = 16048
11 severs without moral 218,735 players ( 218,735 / 11 ) = 19885
so, 19885 - 16048 = 3837

the average non-morale sever has 3,837 more players then the average morale sever.

so, if their internal poll was not bias in some way. It would then be hard to explain how majority of players preferred the morale rule. While the severs with morale rules are under-performing other severs.

I hate to add this part but it's true while this is a free game it's also about the $$. Will premium users be willing to Pay for "additional advantages " even if later in the game they take a penalty for it?

this is InnoGames statement about the game
InnoGames is a developer and publisher of browser-based games wiith more than 6 million active players in more than 40 countries.

Our goal is to offer our players games that provide both long lasting entertainment and continued satisfaction. We achieve this through our dedication to development, permanent system monitoring and excellent support done by a big and active team of moderators.

All of our games are free to play without restrictions and time limits. Players have the option to purchase premium accounts that offer additional advantages in the games. We strive to make sure that all players, regardless of standard or premium account, have the opportunity to experience optimal gaming gratification.

Sometimes you have to watch the money. An investment company only gets involved if they see a good chance to make money

HAMBURG, Germany and LONDON, May 18, 2010 /PRNewswire/ -- Fidelity Growth Partners Europe (FGPE) a pan-European venture and growth equity investor and InnoGames, a leading developer and publisher of free-to-play online games, today announced a strategic partnership. FGPE has taken a minority stake in the company and will provide advice and access to its extensive partnership network to help InnoGames expand globally. InnoGames currently has almost 50 million registered players across the globe playing successful titles such as Tribal Wars, The West, and Grepolis.

"FGPE's investment - both in capital and serving as close consultant and advisor - will enable us to take the company forward at a faster pace", said Hendrik Klindworth, InnoGames, co-founder and Managing Director. "The online gaming See gaming. market is experiencing tremendous growth, and we intend to be one of the dominant players. The combination of our gaming know-how and FGPE's invaluable and wide-ranging experience will get us there."

"InnoGames has every indication of a company that can become a global success," said Davor Hebel, who led the investment for FGPE. "InnoGames has developed and published some of the industry's most popular browser-based online games, quickly building a community of millions of engaged players. Our partnership will enable the team to focus on what it does best, building great games; and allow us to focus on what we do best, providing the advice and hands-on guidance that helps companies transform their markets. Companies such as InnoGames, with the potential and aspiration for greatness, are exactly the type we want to back. This is a fantastic kick-off investment for our new GBP GBP

In currencies, this is the abbreviation for the British Pound.

Notes:
The currency market, also known as the Foreign Exchange market, is the largest financial market in the world, with a daily average volume of over US $1 trillion. 100 million European fund."

watch the money
fidelitygrowthpartners

DeletedUser8969

how come whenever someone says they don't like morale someone comes on and says you don't have to play the morale servers if you don't like.

i assume the person making the originating statement is quite aware of that fact. it is possible to strongly dislike morale and not play any new morale servers and still have a valid opinion as to that deleterious institution which is morale.

morale punishes good play and rewards poor and inactive play. i have yet to see any accurate argument to the contrary. i don't believe one exists.

i would certainly like to see a good argument made for morale. i have read these forums and have yet to stumble across one. all i see is if you don't like it don't play. i already don't play morale servers anymore. i just don't see why my opinion matters less than those who slog through morale servers.

DeletedUser

I dont want to write a same thing in every anti morale thread that exist. So my opinion is that it is Absolutely Despise

DeletedUser

I see no point attacking semi-inactive players. A semi-inactive player is one who isn't realy serious about the game and is often a sim city type player who plays only to watch his points increase. I try not to interact with such players and only attack active players or ghost towns, so for me it's mildly anoying at worst.

DeletedUser

When you poll active players who are forum goers, its overwhelmingly against.

When you msg everyone in the game and all the noobs read the way they phrase morale, they dont know its implications on the upper end of the game (a place they aspire to reach im sure) and the vote becomes close to even. This is what happened when morale was first introduced.

Morale is by far the worst mechanic I have seen in any game. Not only does it not make sense in terms of the fantasy experience (why are my troops weaker when fighting a weak enemy?) it makes no sense in the gameplay and target audience perspectives either.

Too much to say and not enough time, but at least the poll does a good job of showing how pointless this mechanic really is.

DeletedUser

I full-heartedly agree with the uselessness of morale.

And, I'd like to ask what the thought process was behind it?

It protects the small, slowly growing player.
On a general census, I'd be willing to bet that those receiving the positive effects of moral have never payed for premium. I'm also willing to bet that a large number of players do not purchase premium, or have simply left the game, because of how negatively morale effects gameplay.