My Perspective on Why the Game is Dying.

• Thread starter DeletedUser39031
  • Start date

Baudin Toolan

Grepolis Team
This seems to happen in a decent speed revolt world. Maybe Baudin should open a a fast no morale conq then when it fills up in a month or less, open up a 2/3 revolt.

Richard does get to voice his opinion and he listens to what the forum users ask for but I was under the impression from another thread that no morale was seen as a bad thing. More than a few posts stated it drives away new players and contributes to the decline in player numbers. Richard can ask for a conquest world with super cool settings but if he gets told it has to have morale I'm sure he wouldn't want to waste those super cool settings. Some form of general consensus on morale and if it's seen as honestly awful or a great thing would be nice since it's a bit of a dividing concept atm.

DeletedUser

Richard does get to voice his opinion and he listens to what the forum users ask for but I was under the impression from another thread that no morale was seen as a bad thing. More than a few posts stated it drives away new players and contributes to the decline in player numbers. Richard can ask for a conquest world with super cool settings but if he gets told it has to have morale I'm sure he wouldn't want to waste those super cool settings. Some form of general consensus on morale and if it's seen as honestly awful or a great thing would be nice since it's a bit of a dividing concept atm.

Honestly morale is a matter of debate, it is good and not good at the same time so morale in my opinion shouldn't be a constraint.

DeletedUser50931

Just my opinion, but for me the game isn't Dying the competition is... Once a big number of players decide to join forces and create a Premade Alliance, it creates other Premade Alliances, then that creates more Premade Alliances.. And so on, once a big number of players jump to each server creating Premade alliances... I've noticed that other alliances in the same worlds allways ban-together to fight the premades.... It's maths really, the more alliances that team up against big alliances, the less alliances there are to fight... It's literally less competition.. Everyone is after a WW win now, so the "good of the game" is less likely to receive any acknowledgment

Bring competition back... If you don't know the right people or you haven't made the right friends, you'll bounce about joining different worlds seeing tha same names and same alliances.. You'll get bored with the game fast, Less competition

Just my opinion, but a shake-up on server settings would be fantastic, maybe Bring a "Hardcore" server out, max Alliance Cap 10 people, max pact limit 1.. Imagine the forums/game-participation on a Alliance Cap 10 world, Mind-Blowing!

Obviously premades would still be made, but if you a newby/lone wolf joining a world you'll have a much better chance of actually learning the game and staying interested before your city gets taken from an Alliance with 80 people in it, the game and it's players have been evolving fast in the past 12months... Bout time the servers did

Just a thought y'all

DeletedUser22650

the competition isnt dying its changed, before ww it was conquer the most ground, hit the milestones and be the scariest squad on your map now with ww its take your spawn ocean, turtle up the borders, colonize the spare flags for shorter resource trips later.....its a totally different strategy for a different result and barely resembles the war game it once was. i allso prefered old farming, 1 hour shipping horses around got you your max res then the rest of the day was for fighting, now you 5 minute click all day long and convince yourself youre actually playing. shared dbp allso sims up the servers, before abp was king and the only way to grow, now defensive mercs can rake in dbp without ever fighting anyone directly.......for me those 3 game destroying features do worse for grepo than any premades,mass pacters or gold whore events

DeletedUser

the competition isnt dying its changed, before ww it was conquer the most ground, hit the milestones and be the scariest squad on your map now with ww its take your spawn ocean, turtle up the borders, colonize the spare flags for shorter resource trips later.....its a totally different strategy for a different result and barely resembles the war game it once was. i allso prefered old farming, 1 hour shipping horses around got you your max res then the rest of the day was for fighting, now you 5 minute click all day long and convince yourself youre actually playing. shared dbp allso sims up the servers, before abp was king and the only way to grow, now defensive mercs can rake in dbp without ever fighting anyone directly.......for me those 3 game destroying features do worse for grepo than any premades,mass pacters or gold whore events

Shared DBP was implemented to encourage players to support each other. I like the shared DBP idea. The end game needs to be changed obviously.

DeletedUser22650

i never had a problem supporting team mates or finding ppl to support me when needed before it was implemented, but trying to stop players being destroyed goes against the entire original concept which was a purer version of tw without bots etc ruining it, i saw in the roadmap about new player protection, i wonder if anyone thinks about the players that do stay and play (and spend) instead of allways worrying about the ones that dont....i mean some ppl will just never like this type of game no matter what, its just horses for coarses

DeletedUser41523

Yeah, you're probably right, I didn't think that one through fully haha. It seems like we need a decent mix of speeds and morale/no morale.

I don't think the game or competition is dying. I've been paying attention and there's some stiff competition, more so now because worlds are packed. People are mistaking forum activity for it a dead game. But the thing is that certain users also like certain worlds. Not every world type is released in a year anymore. Which is something we as a community largely asked for.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser49230

Why doesn't Inno make a world without gold trading,if they are after more profits,just add 50 gold for each of the admin/captain etc,lm sure it would be very popular,and would reduce people leaving the game.

It would allow the average person,who doesn't use gold trading to compete on a level playing field

DeletedUser

I mean If they spent there time actually Fixing common bugs that have been going on for ages now it would be a start instead they waste there time making stupid banners that last to long and putting some smoke above cities we attack

DeletedUser53365

The game have changed. Now if you don't want to play in MRA, with 50 pacts... it's practically impossible, except if you are very lucky and find some other neighbors with the same idea of the game than you...

I'm really disgusted to see what grepo became. In worlds with conquest too, this is not very different.
The challenge of being few players against many was interesting few years ago but now, when the "many" are 1000 players, what can I do with an ally at human scale of maybe 30 players ? mostly if we don't start at the beginning with a pre-made ?
These coalitions kill the game...

For me the problem is the popularity of the game. Too many players come here without the time and the implication needed for a real war game. Their only solution to survive is to be with te biggest number, because if they are not, they are loosing their cities. If they are, they have more than 20 000 ls or flying units to break the siege...

It is the reign of semi-active players, simmers and perpetual noobs. Why loosing their time playing and learning to play (learning to fight) when they feel protected by so many allies ?
But I really wonder what is the interest of these players in the game... If they only want to build cities and are afraid by the fight, they could have the same thing with Simcity... no need to come here and disgust the other players of the fight !

DeletedUser

First post in forever, and it's on the status of Grepolis..

I wouldn't say the game is dying, at least not rapidly, but I would say that it has lost its luster. I don't think it is pulling new, active players in at a fast rate, but I'd say a lot of members that have joined in previous years still play. I would agree that it has changed, but I'd say in a good way. I mean, they added heroes and quests and a new god. Along with those they added the whole event aspect, which was a nice added interest. I don't know how much more they've added since I last played a few months ago US side, but I'd say what has been added has been enough to keep players playing.

A lot of the drop outs in this game are people who simply don't have enough time to put towards this game, or don't want to put enough time towards it to be successful, like myself. Of course, there are also players that drop out because they lack interest, but I would think that the active player base is about what it has always been. I think the players that remain aren't putting as much energy into it as they did when this game was still pretty new, for example the amount of forum activity has definitely gone down, and that's why people think the game is dying.

Of course, I haven't been EN side in quite awhile so I can't really be to sure...

DeletedUser13240

Ahoy mateys,
Well, I be havin' to agree with Dolgarok on the state o' the game at this point.
Been nearly a year or so since I were on a server, an' it be fer reasons stated above.
It be gettin' to the point I rarely even visit the forum now days. (But I do 'cause I truly love what the game once was an' keep hopin' it will get better again.)
Startin' a game off with the server divided into two or so multi-mega-consolidated groups just don't be gettin' fer meself any more.
I keep lookin' an' hopin', but I have found other venues to be spendin' me time an' hard earned coins on these days.
If they could bring back the fun an' challenges into the game, I would be thinkin' hard on gettin' back into the fray.

yer anxiously awaitin'
unit

DeletedUser51129

I mean If they spent there time actually Fixing common bugs that have been going on for ages now it would be a start instead they waste there time making stupid banners that last to long and putting some smoke above cities we attack

Smoke above cities is very helpful, you dont have to memorize when last time looted inactives

DeletedUser22517

This isn't be all and end all just an honest opinion of someone who has played since 1.26 (aka Good ole Days). As we all know Grepo is on a downward path and it's probably not long before its scrapped or something similar to that as many players leave and not enough fill up the numbers.
But why do people stop playing games?
1. The game is exploitable
2. The game is boring
For Grepolis, the players can only affect option 2 although both are present. Now boredom in Grepo comes from a few areas, I'm going to use my last 3 worlds as an example: Paros, Sinope and Golgi. Out of those worlds, I enjoyed Paros the despite having to leave because I didn't have the time to deal with being attacked, whereas the other two were/are boring me to death. The difference between these worlds is that Paros had the Top 3 alliances fighting it out with each other constantly (usually 2/3 vs 1) with I'd say 1 small pact each that still acted as its own alliance. On the other hand Sinope and Golgi, had these clumps of 1000 vs 1000 players with approximately 10 alliances sharing forums and all answering to one main alliance which is extremely boring in my and others opinions. There are two causes of such evil in my opinion,
-Eviction Notice: This isn't a hate thread, but as far as I'm aware they pioneered this strategy and were on both Sinope and Golgi a large amount of their players were there
-World Wonders: Encourage alliances to pact and use the stupid rotational situation

How the players can stop this?
Impossible, so long as players are taking this game and the digital crown symbol too seriously, and putting it over their own enjoyment (to be fair they may have fun doing pacts).

Just an opinion

In high speed worlds there is nothing you can do ATM as long this end game is still on.No matter how good team you have if you decide to fight alone your chances of winning are slim to impossible.You simply don`t have enough time before WW starts and that is 6 months.
But speed 1 that is a different story.If you have good team, speed 1 is perfect if you want to play the game the way was meant to played, FIGHTING.
Check Emporium world we(The Syndicate) wiped the floor with 1k coalition lead by one and only "The Legend" only 80 of us.
How do you do it?

1.Bring your A team and start in core(there is no other option, you must expand in every direction)

2.Make sure your top fighters are loaded with gold(they gonna call you GH and cry on external forum and yet they spend more gold than you on events)

3.Mark every alliance red and announce war to all of them(they gonna laugh at you)

4.Pick the strongest alliance and go after them(don`t expect to be easy, all simmers will defend but if you are good you will find a way to rebuild faster than them, simmers don`t like losing their troops and their nice built big cities)

5.Go for their leaders(there is no better filling in grepolis when you destroy their leaders and suddenly they tell you some RL problems happened we have to leave and yet they still playing other high speed worlds and are superstars there)

My point:Yes grepolis can be still played as war strategy game but unfortunately for now only in speed 1.

I expect Ranga and Tea comments in next 5 min from my post

DeletedUser52269

I'm not quite following your logic mungus... not sure what world speed has to do with the quote you are responding to, or what world speed has to do with any of the complaints listed.

DeletedUser41868

In high speed worlds there is nothing you can do ATM as long this end game is still on.No matter how good team you have if you decide to fight alone your chances of winning are slim to impossible.You simply don`t have enough time before WW starts and that is 6 months.
But speed 1 that is a different story.If you have good team, speed 1 is perfect if you want to play the game the way was meant to played, FIGHTING.
Check Emporium world we(The Syndicate) wiped the floor with 1k coalition lead by one and only "The Legend" only 80 of us.
How do you do it?

1.Bring your A team and start in core(there is no other option, you must expand in every direction)

2.Make sure your top fighters are loaded with gold(they gonna call you GH and cry on external forum and yet they spend more gold than you on events)

3.Mark every alliance red and announce war to all of them(they gonna laugh at you)

4.Pick the strongest alliance and go after them(don`t expect to be easy, all simmers will defend but if you are good you will find a way to rebuild faster than them, simmers don`t like losing their troops and their nice built big cities)

5.Go for their leaders(there is no better filling in grepolis when you destroy their leaders and suddenly they tell you some RL problems happened we have to leave and yet they still playing other high speed worlds and are superstars there)

My point:Yes grepolis can be still played as war strategy game but unfortunately for now only in speed 1.

I expect Ranga and Tea comments in next 5 min from my post

Everything Mungus said is dead on. Our crew still plays grepolis as a war game and we are not only holding our own against the whole world, we are dominating them. Plus, rather than take new players and make it easy for them to sim their way to a watered-down crown, we show them how to become good players and we take already good players and show them how to become great players.

DeletedUser52269

Chad, congrats to you and mungus and your mates for "swinging the big hammer" in your world, but I don't see what world speed has to do with the complaints that he is responding to. Not trying to be a pain in the , and I'm sure he will have a response that will answer my question. Fact is, I really like (and agree) with all of his points (don't agree 100% with #2 but that's just me). IMO you could apply everything that he said to a speed 3 world and there would be no difference.

DeletedUser46838

In my opinion ( I've played quite a range of worlds, from speed 1 to speed 4), I think I would agree more with mungus for many reasons.

1-Speed 1 is slow, therefore it requires more time to complete the world. Also because the world is slow, production including unit production, resource production is slow, and farming demand village is also low. That forces players to think "Where should I allocate my resources to make it more efficient?" and "Is sending this manticore nuke worth the attack? I don't want to send an attack and get minimal damage).

2-To build on my previous statement, I would like to talk about speed 2,3,4. In these worlds, the speed is faster, therefore it goes faster (WW comes in quicker than speed one) In these higher speed worlds, you don't have to worry about wastng resources as you can easily get them by demanding the farming villages. Nukes can easily be build and there's not really fun doing that.

In conclusion: The only world type that's truly challenging is speed 1. Speed 1 teaches about strategy, perseverance, and making good choices; The lessons learnt from speed 1 is truly the embodiment of Grepolis

DeletedUser22517

Chad, congrats to you and mungus and your mates for "swinging the big hammer" in your world, but I don't see what world speed has to do with the complaints that he is responding to. Not trying to be a pain in the , and I'm sure he will have a response that will answer my question. Fact is, I really like (and agree) with all of his points (don't agree 100% with #2 but that's just me). IMO you could apply everything that he said to a speed 3 world and there would be no difference.

1.In speed 3 WW starts in 6 months.Does not matter how good team you have if you chose to fight alone against alliances like "Cuddling Club" read Eviction Notice, you don`t have time.Those coalitions are coming with at least 2 sister alliances and they will cuddle with everyone.You can take cities from them and rim members they will simply replace them with new ones.You don`t stand a chance unless you also have a big team to match them.

2.Simmers don`t like to rebuild their troops and lose big cities.In speed 3 you have the most important thing, resources and speed.They will rebuild and try again.If they fail in speed 1 they don`t have that, will have to wait and they don`t like that.Every mistake in speed 1 is deadly.If you have organized team you can rebuild twice faster than simmers without any gold.

3.It takes 3 times more resources for WW to be filled in speed 3 than 1.Lets say alliance cap is 70-80 players, for 6 months you can count on maximum 3k cities in speed 3.That is simply not enough cities to fill 4 WW, 7 WW you can forget about that.