Player Spies. Your thoughts?

DeletedUser19554

my turn LOL

I think spying is a dirty thing to do ecspecially when a leader:Angry: or even the founder:supermad: recruits member of another alliance that's just dirty and very very unrespectful to your enemy i think the only time a spy is anywhere near successful is when an alliance is forced to merge so the founder or a leader spys for their enemy

thank you:pro:

DeletedUser

A most interesting thread! The best alliances have a core of loyal players. That core is trusted and trustworthy. They are the ones that the leaders go to. Building loyalty in the other members is a time-consuming task and there are many ways of going about it, but that's not the topic here. My point is that the best alliances have a strong core of loyal and active players.

Treat the alliance as if there was the potential for a spy to be in your midst, no matter how many loyal players you have. Forum posts do not include future plans. Forums are places to share information, certainly, but future plans are discussed between the leaders and the loyalists. Plans are communicated in many ways, but definitely off the forum. When offensive operations are underway, the forum provides the best place to share battle reports and to fine-tune the tactics. The enemy already knows you are doing this, so any information here has a time-stamp on its usefulness and it's very short, as the enemy will see the incoming icons when he's on-line.

Disinformation has been mentioned - better ways of doing that than using spies!

Good players don't need spies - experience in this game will divine enemy intentions relatively accurately after a few attack icons start appearing (if you are defending) and patterns start to emerge. Let's face it, there are only so many ways to conquer a city; it's how you handle it that is telling.

Have I used information provided by a member of another alliance? Certainly, I'm not above free information anymore than the next person. Have I planted a spy in another alliance? Never felt the need to do so. Would I deliberately send someone into another alliance to spy? Nope! A few of my members have volunteered to do so when they were new, but (and please feel free to ask them) I always told them that their value was in building their empire with our team rather than spying for it in another alliance (and I believe that).

Spying will always be around, no point in worrying about it. Instead, increase preventive measures, be conscious of information security, use communications methods other than forums to discuss future operations, build a core of loyalists and then work on the remainder to increase their loyalty factor as well. Bottom line - be aware of the potential for spies, but don't let it become your focus.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser14613

Oh.. spies....
allways were, allways will be and so on...

Personally i have nothing in minde, if that is the thing that players need to keep them intertained, or bussy, or make it fun for them.. so why NOT!!
Soon or latter they will be cought!!

I never implant spy no where, never asked for infos, but I get it enywhey.. so if somebody offer it in bad times .. why not take it???

Its a game and that kinda stuff make it more interesting...

If nothing else, it keeps some alliances bussy right now, does it?? :p

DeletedUser19554

i'm glad nexus don't use spys

DeletedUser

planted in nspg
Id like to hear about this guy please? (in a message)
If you post publicly (wearing our flag) that you know about spy/s being planted you can expect me to be interested and not in a good way?!
It should be known that the spying player known to johnny 07 of SP is not known to the leadership. yet.
J? you talk alot dude, in messages and PF ... it comes back to me and worries me sometimes.
if all this time spent talking to everyone (inc enemy leaders - we do have diplomacy for that btw!) was instead spent playing grep, raiding villages and moving resource around ect, then your account would have more BP and more constant troops as a result .....

Ive encountered alot of players, usually younger, in zeta that play grep as a social network first and a competitive team game second and some of these players are too positive and interested in the idea of spying (cheating!) and "getting information" ... more than they are in the actual game itself is some cases!

the description of Grepolis is:
Build magnificent cities,
forge mighty alliances,
utilize the power of the gods,
conquer the world!

It is not:
Build a massive message page,
Secretly read the forums of other alliances,
utilize the power of gossip & rumour,
Spy on the world!

DeletedUser5757

the description of Grepolis is:
Build magnificent cities,
forge mighty alliances,
utilize the power of the gods,
conquer the world!

It is not:
Build a massive message page,
Secretly read the forums of other alliances,
utilize the power of gossip & rumour,
Spy on the world!

ahhh damn thats what i have been reading wrong :D:D:D

DeletedUser

Oh.. spies....
allways were, allways will be and so on...

Personally i have nothing in minde, if that is the thing that players need to keep them intertained, or bussy, or make it fun for them.. so why NOT!!
Soon or latter they will be cought!!

I never implant spy no where, never asked for infos, but I get it enywhey.. so if somebody offer it in bad times .. why not take it???

Its a game and that kinda stuff make it more interesting...

If nothing else, it keeps some alliances bussy right now, does it?? :p

I agree with this. Whenever you add the human element, players will turncoat. There are many reasons and classifications of spies.

The Jilted- Like a jilted lover, they feel betrayed and want their alliance to pay.

The Coward- One's alliance has made a move that endangers certain members and they offer info in turn for safety.

The Mole- Implanted with one mission in mind.

The Mouth- A spy of sorts because his loose lips inadvertently leaks info.

The Friend- Feels bad about the future of friendly neighbors and warns them.

The Broker- Exchanges intel with many alliances for more intel.

The opportunist- Thinks by giving intel, it will make his grepo future brighter.

The best thing about spies is exposing them and reading their PMs afterwards. Its always the same story (lies) but it never gets old! Spies are detrimental in real wars and they are no different in Grepo. They are usually executed in the real world and meet similar fate in Grepo. Here's to keeping it real :pro:

I like to thank Grepo for coming down on multi-account users. That was an unfair way to spy as the account holder lost an account he didn't care about. Quickly taking another account with the same motivation.

DeletedUser14613

The Mouth- A spy of sorts because his loose lips inadvertently leaks info.

this is a good one.. :p :p truth.. but then nobady can speak with nobady, in all conversation are infos in it :p :p

:)

But need to agree in all others.. :p

DeletedUser

Pro's:
It is a good way to break a deadlock in a war, it can give you the upper edge, and know were your opponents are going to hit, and it gives you potentially more time to respond to any crisis. It makes the game interesting.

Con's:
All other alliances with their heads in the right place will never trust you again. The spy himself will forever be looked down upon, and will never receive a position of trust in any alliance again.

Would i be/enlist a spy??
No i would be be a spy, although it is tempting to make the game more interesting, i would prefer to be trusted. I would never turn down free information, although unless it is from an extremely trusted source, i would view it with suspicion.

Summary:
There is always going to be spies, and information leaks, and frankly your attacks and plans should plan for this so that even if there is a leak, the plan/attack still is successful. I think it would be sad if your plans were so weak a leak would stop them from achieving success.

Just my two cents. :)

DeletedUser

I am not a Zeta player. I have about 20 cities in Delta and I play quite actively in an alliance that is rank 3 there.

I have had my fair share of good and bad experiences in Grepo alliances. When I first started, I confess, I was a complete noob. No idea how to play, no experience in games like this. I was asked to become a spy in an enemy alliance. I accepted, thinking this was a regular tactic and an accepted practice here. I passed on info, but my "teammates" in the alliance I was planted in kind of grew in on me. They became friends, and my loyalties at that point were not very strong to anyone. I stopped spying and passed on false data for a while, until they suspected and started attacking. My new alliance protected me and eventually won a war against my old one, and the old one was disbanded. (This was when the biggest player had like 15 or 20 cities. I had 1.) I eventually outlived this alliance, and grew on. I had good and bad times, being a commander and authority figure in an MRA, joining a renowned training alliance and working my way up there, and then being kicked for a noob mistake, losing credibility among old friends, and becoming a refugee, hiding in various places and moving my cities.

In my current alliance, and the one before that, I had to deal with spies. One spy had been among the "loyalist" group and was thought to be one of the most active and loyal players to the alliance. He was proven a spy, which he tried to cover up with a web of lies and deceit. He had privately declared allegiance to the enemy, and there were witnesses to see it. And when he was attacked by our alliance and lost more than half of his cities, he had support from the enemy the whole time. His reputation sank quickly, from a loyal player, to a dirty spy. We had no compassion in our punishment. We took most of his cities and he was forced to regrow with less than half of his old amount.

I feel that spying is a dirty tactic, though it will always be a part of grepolis, as it is a part of wars in real life. Some people will find opportunities and chances in the field of spying, and others will seek to take revenge on alliances that wronged them in the past. There are many types of spies, but in the end, they will all be caught. They will all be punished and taught an important lesson. Any current spies in current alliances, hear me: you may think yourself safe at the moment, amidst the friends that do not know of your betrayal, but think about it. You are a spy. You turn against people who trust you, besmirching your honor and reputation. Spies in real life are punished by death when discovered, so what do you think will happen to you when the inevitable happens? A good spy will last a while, but nothing can last forever. Good luck, we're looking for you. ;)

Have a great day, citizens of Zeta, and good luck with your own infestations. :D

DeletedUser19554

thx for you input and you'd be shocked by the hostility of this world if you joined it

DeletedUser

thx for you input and you'd be shocked by the hostility of this world if you joined it

You'd be shocked by the hostility of mine if you joined it. :p

There is a huge world war going on, with a three alliance merged together super power and a couple of its allies versus my alliance and a few of our allies. So the enemy are the number 1 and 2 alliances and a few others, while my side are alliances 3 and 4 and a few others. Training alliances are also in this. There are a couple of fence sitting alliances just watching the war and waiting to hop onto the side of the winning, and those likely have spies on both warring sides. There has been a lot of backstabbing and alliance ditching. Some of our best players and a leader defected to the dark side. :)

And if you take a look at the Delta forums, all you see is cryptic remarks and a flame war, with people insulting each other through elaborately written essays.

I once had a Zeta account, but I gave up on it a while back to concentrate in Delta. At that time, the biggest alliance in Zeta was DAFT.