Passed Retraining Troops

• Thread starter DeletedUser8396
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser8396

Proposal: Re train troops

Have you Checked the DNS and PSI lists in the Archives? Is this idea similar to one that has been previously suggested?
No, but i highly doubt its been suggested.

Reason: Lets you re purpose cities while still having troops in the city.

Details: This is NOT a disband troops option. Just a different way of achieving the same goal.

Throughout history, there have been times that cities, countries, etc, have needed to repurpose troops, ships, and so on.

What I am suggesting, brings that, and all its benefits into the playing field.

I introduce to you: REPURPOSING TROOPS!

With this you can now, train a swordsman, and when he has served his purpose, retrain him as a slinger (the resources and time still applies). This allows you to spin a cities capabilities on a whim.

The current system stays the same, except you can now change troops over.

This also works for ships as well.

You may also turn troops into ships (thanks to horus).

Pros:

1. Change city purposes.
2. No having to go and destroy them, just train them again.
3. Makes game more realistic.
4. You get a discount on the re purposing of the troop (instead of paying full price for trading a sword to a hoplite, the hoplite will be half off) (thanks to kanga for pointing it out)

Cons:

1. There is NO mythical unit changes.
2. No transforming any unit into these as well:

1. Catapults
2. CS's

This list is subject to change.

The one con is still up for debate if you want it to be changed, however, please provide a legitimate reason why.

Visual Aids: None

Balance: N/A

Abuse Prevention: The times for units will be slightly increased to switch over. This is because of the fact that we dont want people switching units over the second they have an attack. (thanks to WB fro pointing this out)
the unit training time + 1/2 of the old unit training time.

Heres the equation:

N = new unit recruit time
P = previous unit recruit time
T = Time needed total

N + (P / 2) = T

So lets apply this.

N = 3 minutes
P = 4 minutes

3 + (4 / 2) = T

4 /2 = 2

3 + 2 = 5

T = 5

5 minutes is the conversion time needed per unit (results differ between units).

Summary: Allow the player to re train troops and ships.

Last edited by a moderator:

Varun

Strategos
Good one. + rep.

Then can the troops become old and weary with so much of training and die out This will reduce the abuse (if any) and will free city population.

P.S. Cannot rep you, i need to spread it around before giving it to you again.

DeletedUser8396

I'd prefer to stay away from 'troops dying' area. Or did you mean like a cap on number of retrains?

Well, the bad thing about that is if lets say you retrain 500 out of 1000 slingers to be swordmen, then retrain the 500 swordmen back to slingers, you have a HUGE mess.

I think it being unlimited wont be abused because you still have the resource cost and time wait.

thanks for replying.

DeletedUser

What about recommissioning ships? I would prefer recycling transport boats to be used as something else, even if it costs extra resources and farm space to do so; such as biremes or LS.

DeletedUser8396

Proposal: Re train troops

Have you Checked the DNS and PSI lists in the Archives? Is this idea similar to one that has been previously suggested?
No, but i highly doubt its been suggested.

Reason: Lets you re purpose cities while still having troops in the city.

Details: This is NOT a disband troops option. Just a different way of achieving the same goal.

Throughout history, there have been times that cities, countries, etc, have needed to repurpose troops, ships, and so on.

What I am suggesting, brings that, and all its benefits into the playing field.

I introduce to you: REPURPOSING TROOPS!

With this you can now, train a swordsman, and when he has served his purpose, retrain him as a slinger (the resources and time still applies). This allows you to spin a cities capabilities on a whim.

The current system stays the same, except you can now change troops over.

This also works for ships as well.

Pros:

1. Change city purposes.
2. No having to go and destroy them, just train them again.
3. Makes game more realistic.

Cons:

1. Cannot change troops to ships and vice versa (sorry, I cant justify changing people to wood and sails...makes no sense). This also goes for myths. there is NO mythical unit changes.

The one con is still up for debate if you want it to be changed, however, please provide a legitimate reason why.

Visual Aids: None

Balance: N/A

Abuse Prevention: N/A

Summary: Allow the player to re train troops and ships.

Already covered horus lol

DeletedUser

I don't understand the idea. Could you please reword it in simpleton speak for Kanga?

DeletedUser8396

ok, step by step lol

1. Take your current troops
2. Go to barracks
3. Change them to slingers, hoplites, etc.

same principle for ships

Got it?

DeletedUser

Okay then, here's the problem... Some troops are worth more than others. You could simply make hoplites in order to save wood, and then trade them to other units, and still have all the wood left over. Needs to be balanced. How about only units that have been created more than two weeks ago can be traded?

DeletedUser8396

No. You still must pay for the new unit. The benefit of this is, until the actual training is done, you keep the unit.

DeletedUser

So you just get a discount on the new unit? That makes more sense.

DeletedUser8396

I believe thats the way it should be. I will edit that into the OP.

So, discount for the unit its being turned into.

DeletedUser

Also making the retraining time partly based on the unit it is being changed to, i.e; if a swordsmen is being changed into a chariot, it needs to take (for example) a quarter or half the time of an actual chariots build time, adds 3 more farm space, and consumes a portion of the designated units resources as well (in this case, more stone and some silver, with a little wood).

I wasn't entirely sure about the latter point if you were hinting at this, but it is now here to clarify.

DeletedUser8396

Well, I suppose I could 1/2 the training time, but I am keeping the resource discount the same as it currently is. If we start compensating the resources to fit the trade, it becomes more abusable. If the only pay a flat discount, then it is less likely to be abused.

Thanks for the suggestions :)

DeletedUser18132

Yes, bu then you could train swords and then transform them into cats... That is a major training time difference..

DeletedUser

...or a Cerberus if you had the favor. :D

Make myth units and catapults the exception to the rule.

DeletedUser

He said myth units wont be transformed. Also cats are ok. You are going to pay the price and wait for the cat to be built. The time and price will only decrease (the decreased time and resources = the same amount of resources and build time the unit is worth??).

DeletedUser8396

Myths were already an exception. I will make these units exceptions:

1. Catapults
2. CS's

If there is continued problems the time decrease will be taken away,as it isnt crucial to the idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.