Inactive Topic Secretly open a message.

DeletedUser

It doesn't sound right...
Besides, if someone doesn't want to receive mails, they have to block the irritating players...
It sounds too private... And sender has to know if the recipient opened their message or not...

DeletedUser8790

Here is a suggestion on this, Have a privacy Icon in the players profile, Kind of like the forum, You check it off and all of your mail is now "secret", So no email is marked read or not. It could have a notation that "this player is invisible" on the players profile.

DeletedUser22650

i think the mail bluffs are fun, i often leave ppl waiting days or open as fast as i can depending on how i feel and i block any enemies sending me mindless banality's which are obviously activity testers...unless they're funny, i think they should at least have the decency to make me chuckle if they want to know when im online so i have to say no, we dont want to lose anotyher fun aspect of the game

DeletedUser

Bah simply dont open message?

IS IT SO HARD?

Its good thing that we can pick times from that.... why not curiosity killed the cat :p

When enemy sends me message i intentionally pick it up before i go to bed and they think i just got online!

I guess it also depends on your postion in an Alliance. Founders/Leaders/Diplomats/Recruiting Officers will receive mail on a lot of topics, some of which can be time sensitive.

Being advanced in years and needing little sleep, and that frequented on many occasions by waking up with night terrors, my own time of playing is going to be of little use to any player. That is not the case for all residents of Grepolis.

However, to play devil's advocate - the online status of any player can also be deduced from the time stamp it was sent.

It is my feeling that both need to be removed.

DeletedUser29371

I guess it also depends on your postion in an Alliance. Founders/Leaders/Diplomats/Recruiting Officers will receive mail on a lot of topics, some of which can be time sensitive.

Being advanced in years and needing little sleep, and that frequented on many occasions by waking up with night terrors, my own time of playing is going to be of little use to any player. That is not the case for all residents of Grepolis.

However, to play devil's advocate - the online status of any player can also be deduced from the time stamp it was sent.

It is my feeling that both need to be removed.

Founders/leaders of GOOD alliances generally play or are available over 18h a day and those alliances also have cleared everyone within their 5h reach...

Also dont open if its not enemy diplomat else just XXXXXXXX

and like you said it can be deducted from when you sent it... not to mention its also athenasrecord for a guess etc....

big NO from me or atleast it should cost 50 + favor from Zeus instead of annoying LB then i say YES!

DeletedUser

Founders/leaders of GOOD alliances generally play or are available over 18h a day and those alliances also have cleared everyone within their 5h reach...

Also dont open if its not enemy diplomat else just XXXXXXXX

and like you said it can be deducted from when you sent it... not to mention its also athenasrecord for a guess etc....

big NO from me or atleast it should cost 50 + favor from Zeus instead of annoying LB then i say YES!

That's an interesting point... Being charged res to do that, or even favour as you suggested. Perhaps it is a pointless idea though. :p

As for leaders of good alliances being on 18h per day, that's way too much. What do they do with their lives? I've lead a good alliance whilst player 2h per day, at a push. ^_^

DeletedUser29371

That's an interesting point... Being charged res to do that, or even favour as you suggested. Perhaps it is a pointless idea though. :p

As for leaders of good alliances being on 18h per day, that's way too much. What do they do with their lives? I've lead a good alliance whilst player 2h per day, at a push. ^_^

Im cofounder and i am on from 7am till midnight.... sure i dont sit infront PC all that time but i do check game atleast each 45 min.... so yes impossible to pick my offline times... not to mention i easily wake up at 3am just to check so no surprise on my cities :)

Charging favor for it is the only reasonable exchange since you cannot pillage favor and you cannot buy it on market...

DeletedUser

It doesn't sound right...
Besides, if someone doesn't want to receive mails, they have to block the irritating players...
It sounds too private... And sender has to know if the recipient opened their message or not...

While this is a game, some parts of it need to be realistic. If you send me a letter or package in real life, you have no way to know when I open it, except for actually watching me do it. And as I tend to do that in my birthday suit at a certain time of the day, it would not be an enjoyable event for the viewer. Indeed, finding someone in my home to record that event would probably lead to having to summon the coroner. Even with registered/return receipt requested - all you know is that I have received it. P What we have now is a complete invasion of privacy, and the game supporting spam intended to find online status.

On the suggestion for a resource cost, I'm completely the opposite. It should cost a significant amount of resources or favor to know what time it was sent, or when it was opened. Would be even better if all "registered mail" aka timestamping on either side, required a flier or ship to be sent to the location, so your envoy can actually witness it.

In the spirit of preserving my privacy, I am thinking of instituting a new policy. Spam mail will be answered with spam lightning bolts and/or earthquakes. Much better than tipping the Western Union telegraph boy a nickel. And would tend to confirm I was actually online at the time, rather than using any of the bots now prevalent in the game.

DeletedUser2663

This idea gets a no from me. Dux has basically explained my reasoning already

DeletedUser17103

:) defo yes :p i used to do this on the old grepo cos once i read a message i just pressed back on my browser and it apeared as if i hadn't read it >:)

DeletedUser29371

While this is a game, some parts of it need to be realistic. If you send me a letter or package in real life, you have no way to know when I open it, except for actually watching me do it. And as I tend to do that in my birthday suit at a certain time of the day, it would not be an enjoyable event for the viewer. Indeed, finding someone in my home to record that event would probably lead to having to summon the coroner. Even with registered/return receipt requested - all you know is that I have received it. P What we have now is a complete invasion of privacy, and the game supporting spam intended to find online status.

On the suggestion for a resource cost, I'm completely the opposite. It should cost a significant amount of resources or favor to know what time it was sent, or when it was opened. Would be even better if all "registered mail" aka timestamping on either side, required a flier or ship to be sent to the location, so your envoy can actually witness it.

In the spirit of preserving my privacy, I am thinking of instituting a new policy. Spam mail will be answered with spam lightning bolts and/or earthquakes. Much better than tipping the Western Union telegraph boy a nickel. And would tend to confirm I was actually online at the time, rather than using any of the bots now prevalent in the game.

Yes yes lets make the game even more defender friendly.... this is basically your point of view.... also why not buff swords/archers a little more while doing your idea :p

this game is so defender friendly and without athenas records and noobs opening mails players who attack frequently would be on even worse...

I bet you would also want spy not reporting your wall size and armies but just other buildings.... sigh...

On another note i just thought off spy should provide academy research and god worshipped report also.... good idea lol!

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

I think the basic units are fine as they are.

I said nothing about wall levels. I believe you are misunderstanding my post.

I'll support the idea to have a spy gather the academy research done - and in progress, as well as the god worshipped, and how much divine favor is at hand, I believe for completeness you should add Senate building queues, harbor building queues, and what troops are currently being trained. That is an excellent idea.

We, after all, have to spend both silver, and wait while our spy travels. Sending spam, to me, doesn't qualify as spending any kind of resources - except that which we all share - server resources. Isn't this whole idea of finding online status with spam one of the underpinnings of why the limits to mass mail was instituted?

And as a personal response
Games, and literature for that matter, must be realistic to be enjoyable. Even if the reasoning is predicated on fantastic elements. The time stamp for sending mail, as well as opening it, is not within the scope of the game - as there are no game mechanics for it. As such, it needs to rely on real world reasoning - until such time as messengers or other means to deliver those messages are instituted in game. You would not want to read complete gibberish, nor would this game be enjoyable if every time you entered a command, a completely random event happened to a completely random player. The game must be realistic predicated on the elements present.

DeletedUser

Playing mail tricks on players is an important thing. Grepolis has already removed a lot of my tricks, if this gets removed it will hurt the deceptive players like myself.
If Grepolis does decided to impliment this, there should be a cost. Offhand I can only think of Gold (eg: 10 gold to set a particular received mail as private). The cost of gold will prevent players from wanting to use this function all the time.
If there is no cost in using this function then an alternative would be to impliment a system where players can find out who is online, which I believe would be problematic also.

DeletedUser

No offense to the deceivers here, but these kinds of tricks aren't that safeguarded in terms of knowledge these days, they are almost common knowledge.

DeletedUser18132

Yes from me too. Besides, you could just go to Athenarecords... :rolleyes:

DeletedUser

If you are going to get rid of that tactic from the game you must as well just make it a setting which by default allows a response to be sent. All experienced players as soon as the world opens will just go in and click it off. If thats the case it will eliminate another strategic move but I guess it would allow players to view messages from other alliances.
I'm still against it though, war means taking risks, putting your head up and risking it being shot.

DeletedUser

I'm still against it though, war means taking risks, putting your head up and risking it being shot.
Yes, but in real ancient Greece, when you get a message, the sender doesn't know if you read it until you send a message back