Slowing down?

DeletedUser5554

This seems to have been a problem since the end of first gen. Inno seems to be just EXPLODING and pumping out new worlds faster than we have players to fill them and keep a good interesting game going. It seems the days of challenging and upsets are gone. Once an alliance establishes supremacy nobody is left to challenge them. Why should they? There's now 4 new worlds open at this point and its only been a month or two.

Personally I think this is a pretty big thorn in the side of what was otherwise a great game. Anyone remember Gamma? The world had 30,000 players long after the first great team arose. More so because of this the world had tons of upsets and shifts in power. Not just the typical MRA rise and the good alliance sweeps them out for the first seed. Then the world dies. Does anyone else have a problem with that? That pretty much kills the world and the fun when a world drops from 30k players to 5k players within a month.

I think Innogames should think about slowing down the world output to put quality and interest back in the game. Its almost not a challenge for some teams anymore once a month passes and I miss that. Anyone else agree?

DeletedUser29066

I personally haven't been around that long so I couldn't say for sure, but it certainly makes sense to me. I've checked many players stats and see them playing several worlds with only one or two cities in each

DeletedUser6983

I know what you mean. Its crazy. Thats why i switched to a different language server. They release less worlds and still speed 3. Theres over 20 other languages, check em out.

DeletedUser5554

Thats what I feel this and World Wonders killed all worldly competition I feel and makes no real interest after a few months.

DeletedUser

i'd say it's the ww more than the speed of new world releases (although that really could slow down a bit :D)

the vast majority of people are more interested in getting a winner's crown than giving themselves a challenge, so almost invariably most of the good players on a server all join the same alliance and shut down any competition :(

so yeah, ww are not my fav ending for this game :D

DeletedUser

Gotta say I agree with you nod. I (and many many others) have been saying exactly that for a long long time.

DeletedUser

Good time were had on gamma :)

Nothing comes close anymore though :(

DeletedUser5554

Yeah I agree Gamma I actually got my butt handed to me a few times. Last time I had a real challenge was Tau.....

DeletedUser23222

It seems the days of challenging and upsets are gone. Once an alliance establishes supremacy nobody is left to challenge them. Why should they? There's now 4 new worlds open at this point and its only been a month or two.

... the typical MRA rise and the good alliance sweeps them out for the first seed. Then the world dies. Does anyone else have a problem with that? That pretty much kills the world and the fun when a world drops from 30k players to 5k players within a month.

I think Innogames should think about slowing down the world output to put quality and interest back in the game. It’s almost not a challenge for some teams anymore once a month passes and I miss that. Anyone else agree?

I am glad you started this thread, because this phenomenon has troubled me since I started playing Grepo (my first world was Delphi - so I have no memory of the good-old days - just Gen 2.0 and hence). This is a real and serious problem with the game - affecting its attractiveness and viability. I will be quite clear about my direct experience - what I have seen on Speed3 worlds is the relatively quick formation of a dominant alliance - made up of a large group of veteran players (who seem to know each other from previous worlds). In fact, the group is usually seeded by a veteran pre-made or two that start on Day 1 in the core oceans. These vet seeds quickly form a powerful and utterly dominate alliance that may morph a bit for a month or two - merge with another vet group or change names - but in essence this initial alliance sweeps out the core oceans and dominates the server. These players have the demographics and appearance of a fraternity - so I call them FratBoys. The MRA noobs are just live cattle to be consumed - too inexperienced to realize they will be slaughtered as needed. The random late starting players are faced with impossible odds. This is why most of the other players abandon these worlds. If you are foolish enough to stay - you are probably aren't very bright and unlikely to accomplish anything except give the FratBoys some sport - like caged game released at private hunting clubs. I get a chuckle at the hypocrisy I see when the FratBoys kill a server, and then complain about the lack of action and waste of their investment of time and money. "Don't quit" they plead "Stay and fight." Jeez - what do they expect when 60% or more of the talent is concentrated in one club.

I have struggled with this - and I don’t know exactly why this happens repeatedly. I do think this situation has evolved as a consequence of the game design and human nature. The game is difficult - if you want to be competitive it takes a huge amount of your time and some money so naturally you want to protect your "investment" and maximize your chances. You quickly learn that a lone player is helpless no matter how big or clever - and the quality and size of your team determines your fate. You also learn that proximity is critical, which makes your start very important. If you first drop into a remote or hostile place far from your friends, then you have greatly hurt your chances.

So what happens? The smart vet players drop into a core ocean together, consume the MRA noobs, and link up with like-minded players - another FratBoy alliance is born. I don't know first-hand if it is the same on Speed 1 and 2 worlds - but I assume it is. The phenomenon is just more pronounced on Speed3 worlds because these worlds develop and die at a much faster rate.

I think there are solutions to this problem, but Nod - your solution just won't work. You can't force good players to stick around on a dying or dead world by restricting access to new worlds that offer hope of victory. These displaced players will just stop playing Grepo altogether and your solution will just hasten the demise of the game franchise. I think the real solution lies in the attitude of the vet players. But I am out of time ... so that discussion must wait for another post.

DeletedUser

I am glad you started this thread, because this phenomenon has troubled me since I started playing Grepo (my first world was Delphi - so I have no memory of the good-old days - just Gen 2.0 and hence). This is a real and serious problem with the game - affecting its attractiveness and viability. I will be quite clear about my direct experience - what I have seen on Speed3 worlds is the relatively quick formation of a dominant alliance - made up of a large group of veteran players (who seem to know each other from previous worlds). In fact, the group is usually seeded by a veteran pre-made or two that start on Day 1 in the core oceans. These vet seeds quickly form a powerful and utterly dominate alliance that may morph a bit for a month or two - merge with another vet group or change names - but in essence this initial alliance sweeps out the core oceans and dominates the server. These players have the demographics and appearance of a fraternity - so I call them FratBoys. The MRA noobs are just live cattle to be consumed - too inexperienced to realize they will be slaughtered as needed. The random late starting players are faced with impossible odds. This is why most of the other players abandon these worlds. If you are foolish enough to stay - you are probably aren't very bright and unlikely to accomplish anything except give the FratBoys some sport - like caged game released at private hunting clubs. I get a chuckle at the hypocrisy I see when the FratBoys kill a server, and then complain about the lack of action and waste of their investment of time and money. "Don't quit" they plead "Stay and fight." Jeez - what do they expect when 60% or more of the talent is concentrated in one club.

I have struggled with this - and I don’t know exactly why this happens repeatedly. I do think this situation has evolved as a consequence of the game design and human nature. The game is difficult - if you want to be competitive it takes a huge amount of your time and some money so naturally you want to protect your "investment" and maximize your chances. You quickly learn that a lone player is helpless no matter how big or clever - and the quality and size of your team determines your fate. You also learn that proximity is critical, which makes your start very important. If you first drop into a remote or hostile place far from your friends, then you have greatly hurt your chances.

So what happens? The smart vet players drop into a core ocean together, consume the MRA noobs, and link up with like-minded players - another FratBoy alliance is born. I don't know first-hand if it is the same on Speed 1 and 2 worlds - but I assume it is. The phenomenon is just more pronounced on Speed3 worlds because these worlds develop and die at a much faster rate.

I think there are solutions to this problem, but Nod - your solution just won't work. You can't force good players to stick around on a dying or dead world by restricting access to new worlds that offer hope of victory. These displaced players will just stop playing Grepo altogether and your solution will just hasten the demise of the game franchise. I think the real solution lies in the attitude of the vet players. But I am out of time ... so that discussion must wait for another post.

This problem also has occurred within TW. Sure the worlds are larger and the process takes a bit more time, but that lies in the fact worlds are not released as often. The problem lies in the learning curve, either you know what to do, or you don't and get conquered. Simple as that. And here we get back into the discussion over teaching newbies. Most don't have the patience to be taught or think they know everything. Few seek out help and training. If you were to approach someone to teach them it can be seen as condescending. There really is no way imo to solve this problem without dumbing the game down, which I don't think many of us want.

DeletedUser5554

Its the same on all speeds. You're on the right track I played with Tax Collectors on Delphi and I can tell you right off the bat it was probably the only good team on the Delphi scene. But none the less its true. How I notice it usually starts is like this.

I'm not saying don't open new worlds i'm saying open worlds more slowly if you pump out that new world or two every 2 months suddenly the game is a lot more interesting and intense. Yeah some people will quit but lets be honest if you get conquered you're probably coming back also there is a point of no return when you're just too big to get rimmed and will continue to play until bored. If the competition is more keen then it will be a better experience.

DeletedUser12667

Why worry about the externals when new players jump to fill a world then leave when the next opens a week or so later. I will say that the banter and fun has went from good banter fun with players enjoying some fun trash talk to now I see mostly complaining on how the game has an unfair advantage, or some other post that contains moans about how the game is keeping them from being #1.

Life is full of unfairness. And that also goes for games like grepo. So those who find grepo causing them irritation or anger, lighten up. Remember we all are people with different views, mine may be opposite of yours, but that doesnt make mine right and yours wrong. But it does define us as unique individuals who have different outlooks on life. No need to let a players opinion or action ruin your day, when the fact is it doesnt truly ruin you RL day unless you choose to allow it to do so.

And nod I agree totally, the release of new worlds is WAY too often. I would say one new world every 3 months, and that may be excessive. If a noob wants to join let the join on the rim of an old world. It is better tan in the core of a new world. I see way too many players in the new worlds never top 300 points. So why start a new world when it is filled with cities less than 300 pts. I will end it there cause I am sure it will be wasted words to continue with the topic of how often worlds are opened.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

I do have to say, I do miss the slower world releases of the old days, and when players actually stuck out a world until the end. I wouldn't say this is entirely or mainly IGs fault, as there have always been the world hoppers with a short attention span looking for greener pastures.... or should I say, looking for a way to appear that they weren't getting rimmed.

The current release rate simply gives these players more incentive.

DeletedUser

Well it's been a few weeks since Delos, soooo perhaps we're seeing more distance between worlds now. :D

DeletedUser

I believe World Wonders did great damage to some "old" worlds, too... I mean, everyone was involved with them, and when the Era finished, people left... 1 year ago, things were better...

DeletedUser

Yes, that would be definitely better! This can keep players much more interested :D

DeletedUser

That was the idea, to bring the worlds to end. It also the same reason that IG stopped new players entering a world once WW started.

I understand, but if WWs didn't exist, we would continue playing the same way we used to! Fights, expansion, etc... But you are right at some point. New worlds open, old ones close :D