Spies: Discuss...

DeletedUser14492

The purpose of this thread is for everyone to discuss their general and specific views surrounding the use of spies in Grepolis.

Some alliances manage to get a spy into their enemies alliance, and they use this to thier advantage.

To anyone knew to this concept, or requiring clarification: Alliance A gets a member/friend/traitor into alliance B. Alliance A and B then enter a war. Alliance A receives information from their spy on all attack and support action taken by B, gleened from the B forums etc. This allows A to react effectively to support their own alliance, and to attack with greater effect their enemies. It also has a damaging effect on the moral of B, causing members to leave or switch sides entirely. This whole process can and is currently being done on World Theta.

Some dissagree with this type of action, while some view it as a tool of war.

What is your opinion?

Please keep things neutral for the most part, I want to discuss the process itself, not specific alliance politics.

DeletedUser

Well it is a tool of war. It may leave people hurt emotionally but like you said it is a morale killer and causes people to leave which weakens the alliance. But really if the spy is only getting info off the forum then that person really shouldn't be doing a whole lot of damage unless very specific type of information is revealed

DeletedUser

I agree, for example, we have a spy in Atlas Dragons, they aren't really doing much damage seeing as the alliance isn't attacking us atm. But if it was an active war, and they were constantly planning attacks then that spy would be feeding us good usable info.

I think it is a great tool if used properly.

DeletedUser14492

But really if the spy is only getting info off the forum then that person really shouldn't be doing a whole lot of damage unless very specific type of information is revealed

Most alliances use their forums for posting calls for support and to reply with the support being sent. Forums are also used to plan attacks, and provide attack information.

This information can be hugely beneficial to an enemy. They know what support is being sent where. They also know who may be weak due to sending support. All this info allows quick informed decisions to be made about where their own support should be, and where their own attacks should be made.

In short, the alliance with a good spy in with their enemy, has a massive advantage in a full scale war.

Trying to organise attack and defence without forums is much harder, as is keeping members informed and up to date with developments.

My own personal thoughts are, its a major tool of war that can be massively effective. BUT, I personally frown upon it simply on principle. War is ugly, but we can still have rules and a code of honour.

Baudin Toolan

Grepolis Team
Quite frankly being that most of us can agree it's a tool of war then logic follows that it's fair game to use it. Same with disbanding and such. I'm all for honor but the last time a country fought with honor they got destroyed by a smaller, less experienced group of people (Britain vs America). Fighting with Honor and a code of morals is fine but if the other side isn't doing the same it can become unbalanced.

DeletedUser

When you play for an allaince with such mass numbers you should know better then to reveal all your info such as troop numbers or any specicif plans over a forum and you are just asking for trouble if you do that. it is better to wrok in small indivdiual groups using personal messaging.

As for the honor part well this is a game not real life, and the honor excuse is often used by the side that is loosing and can't infiltrate their enemies alliance with their own spy

DeletedUser12212

It is widely used, but in my opininion it is wrong. Why win the war hands-down by cheating when you can play fairly and have a proper fight. There is no real fun in spies, sure you get some enjoyment out of cushing your enemies without much of a fight, but to be honest, a fair, strong war is better.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Truth be told, spies can be more devastating in the early-game than this stage. Their usefullness also stretches beyond revealing info, they can also reveal false info like "I have incoming attacks from x-player that hit in x-hours"... that distracts players and lets the spies allies know which cities have their defense out.... so his allies can destroy it.

DeletedUser

It is widely used, but in my opininion it is wrong. Why win the war hands-down by cheating when you can play fairly and have a proper fight. There is no real fun in spies, sure you get some enjoyment out of cushing your enemies without much of a fight, but to be honest, a fair, strong war is better.

calling it cheating is a bit of a stretch, If the allaince that you are fighting is truly strong and stable then the spies damage will usually be minimal unless you have a corrupted leader or just someone who a lot of people trust

DeletedUser

Wrong you say? Then how do you except us to win wars? You have to get your hands dirty to get what you want son. Spies are useful to crush your enemies from the inside and to give you information.

But they are unreliable.

DeletedUser

Wrong you say? Then how do you except us to win wars? You have to get your hands dirty to get what you want son. Spies are useful to crush your enemies from the inside and to give you information.

But they are unreliable.

I am guessing that's why you have 8 red bars below your name... :eek:

More than GGM? :eek:

DeletedUser

Truth be told, spies can be more devastating in the early-game than this stage. Their usefullness also stretches beyond revealing info, they can also reveal false info like "I have incoming attacks from x-player that hit in x-hours"... that distracts players and lets the spies allies know which cities have their defense out.... so his allies can destroy it.

That would be risky, unless said allies actually attack said city with decent attacks.

DeletedUser

That would be risky, unless said allies actually attack said city with decent attacks.

That would be the idea if a spy orchestrated and attack on himself, but you would have to find who and where support comes from. but if i send support to somebody and then that city i used is attacked then i'm thinking that there is a spy but depending on who you tell it doesn't say for sure who exactley it is.

If you have multiple spies then you could try to do that with one of them

DeletedUser

Spies are vary easy to avoid, it is called skype, quick efficent and easy to block out suspected enemies. I find that spys are vary usfull and should definatly be used in warfair. They can even the playing feild for alliances that would otherwise be out played.

DeletedUser11886

But then again... How would you get the message to them aside from forums and messages? :p Big alliances need to keep their watch lol!

DeletedUser14492

There are a few posts commenting that spies are easy to deal with, use Skype or forming small groups etc.

Even with these good tactics... it does not get rid of a determined spy. Who will stay hidden, unknown and continue to pass all forum/chat information.

Even with Skype if you dont know who the spy is... what is to stop him coming on Skype as well. Thats the point, no one knows who he is if the spy is doing his job right.

I also cant agree with people who make a distinction between real life honour and game honour... your either an honourable person (I believe I am) or you are not.

My personal opinion is that I would not want to win by using a spy, that is the honest truth... each to their own though.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser340

There is nothing wrong with spies, its a part of the game. Infact, it's a strategy.

Morally on the other hand I do not agree with it.

DeletedUser

There are a few posts commenting that spies are easy to deal with, use Skype or forming small groups etc.

Even with these good tactics... it does not get rid of a determined spy. Who will stay hidden, unknown and continue to pass all forum/chat information.

Even with Skype if you dont know who the spy is... what is to stop him coming on Skype as well. Thats the point, no one knows who he is if the spy is doing his job right.

If you are a good alliance you have your means of finding spys, each group taks about there own seperate tactic. If it gets passed to the enemy, you know the group. once you have this, you talk to each player individualy via PM and give each member a different op, then you know.

DeletedUser

Doesnt always work, experienced spies never, or hardly ever work alone (EG Jarpenguin)