Newspaper The LegendZ Take - Issue 3

DeletedUser44213

The LegendZ Take - Issue 3
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the 3rd Edition of the LegendZ Take. In this satirical newspaper, I will take you on a sarcastic and insulting journey through the world of Epidamnos. Hopefully, I will reveal some interesting facts along the way, but mostly we shall see who has the thickest skin and the best sense of humour.

DISCLAIMER: I mean no offence to any alliances or players and am writing this only for a good read once in a while. If you hate it, tell me and I won’t come back!

SECOND DISCLAIMER: I do not consider myself a legend.

THIRD DISCLAIMER: Data for this paper was collected 21/03 (16:00)

The Paper consists of the following sections:

1. The World Rankings

2. The World Wars

3. The Interviews

4. The Gossip

5. The Reports REMOVED

6. The Educational Section

1. The World Rankings

BEFORE
af326aa27c4da45fa20908797bdd3821.png

AFTER

78d4ecc9b9c53762163e4c499fa04ce5.png

Rise of The Shady Bunch – Despite dropping to only 49 members, The Shady Bunch have increased their average points massively and moved past The Priory into second position. This change came about during a large OP ran on The Priory by both The Shady Bunch and Plunder and Pillage. The Shadies have always been considered an Elite alliance in this world and their growth over the past 2 weeks confirms this.

Rise of Kraken – Kraken are now not far behind The Priory in 3rd position. Kraken have the luxury of not having too many large enemies at this stage and are using this to their advantage. An alliance that maybe looked suspect in 6th position, and part of the larger conglomerate, has now started to show signs that they are a strong stand alone alliance.

Rise of Skull SkeletonS – Anyone who has been around the worlds of grepolis a while will recognise names and know members in this rapidly growing alliance. If you do know their members your only question may be why they haven’t risen more! The top members of this alliance despite starting late have some of the highest city counts in the world, and with average city points still to rise you can expect this alliance to continue to make it’s move up the table.

Further Fall of True Fear – Strangely, I do not see this fall in the rankings as a bad thing for True Fear. Points aren’t everything and in this case, it has been very much a consolidation of the alliance. Now with a more stable core, and the players having picked their sides, TF are fighting back. I think that any concern for the fall down the rankings is unwarranted. It should be noted that their growth rate has remained largely the same as the top alliances, with Kraken and Skull SkeletonS just outstripping them.

2.The Wars

The past two weeks has produced some of the best fighting seen in this world so far. Alliance that in the last issue were thought to be under the cosh have pushed back and really balanced out the power of the world.

The Shady Bunch vs The Priory – Over the weekend, The Shady Bunch ran an op on The Priory and struck a major blow against the religious folk. The score last time of checking was 15-10 in favour of TP. The weekend op reversed that score with it now standing at 33-17 in favour of The Shady Bunch. The Op targeted the weak spots of TP and showed up a potential lax in membership management. The Shady Bunch pride themselves on having no weak spots and TP will need to address theirs if they are to try and prevent the loss of further cities.

The Priory vs Plunder and Pillage – It would appear that TP are very popular right now. Obviously attacking holy men is the new trend. This war, started by TP, turned when P&P decided to run a joint op with the Shadies. The defensive coordination had recently been dropped between TP and TS, meaning TP was hit on both sides by notable assaults. The op was a large success for P&P, taking on the largest TP player crwth and winning. The overall count is still significantly in favour of The Priory, standing at 44-19 but this has been a turning of the tides in the overall course of the war. Should P&P choose to work together with The Shady Bunch again, this total could change significantly.

Twisted Souls vs True Fear – Despite a resurgence in True Fear the overall score in this war does not make for good reading. 61-11 in favour of TS suggests this is still a rather one-sided war. This is to be expected however considering that TS is significantly bigger than TF and has the backing of Kraken and Twisted Minds for defense. Should that pact fall, TS may find they have a worthy adversary in TF when pitted in a 1v1 fight.

Kraken vs THE VANGUARD – Note: I can’t be bothered to acknowledge sister alliances anymore. The main alliance score is 33-1 in favour of Kraken. Domination.

They are the most interesting wars for now. I may take an edition to look further down the table and look at the outer alliances depending on developments.

DeletedUser44213

3. Interviews

In this edition, we say hello to the new upcoming alliance SkullSkeleton’s, and ask some of the top fighters in this world, what is the secret behind their success?

Shpiler

1. As one of the top fighters, I have to ask this question. How many golden (quad) BP tokens do you have remaining?

got 1 left out of 4 i got.

2. Would you say you prefer attacking or defending and why?

always easier to defend ,but of course killing s*** is my preferred way ,nothing batter than killing someone's offence in their home :)

3. Have you met any worthy foes yet and if not, do you expect there are any in this world?

not in my region anyways ,i made sure of that :)

giphy.gif

4. In terms of attacking (and you don't have to explain this) what would you say is the most important building? You may answer more than one for a specific build type.

your brain :p if you count that as a building .

5. Which hero do you currently have at the highest level?

20 ,you can figure which one when you biremes keeps dropping faster than you can build em :)

Things we can take away:

1. Shpiler counts his brain as a building… You know, those things with walls and a lot of empty space in between. Have we just got an insight into Shpiler’s brain?

2. I think I can indeed figure it out.

3. Shpiler is a strong believer in the best form of defense being attack… I can attest to that.

4. He isn’t too bothered about capital letters which really really stressed me o…. One sec……

giphy.gif

God dammit.

Jinsl100

1. As one of the top fighters, I have to ask this question. How many golden (quad) BP tokens do you have remaining?

Both.

Defending is easier to get bp. Seeing CS sunk is fun.

Attacking has more freedom. Spy, search map, choose target, favor farm... But need much more time to play compared to def.

3. Have you met any worthy foes yet and if not, do you expect there are any in this world?

It is not one vs one game. Easier to stack for this stage. So no personal foes.

4. In terms of attacking (and you don't have to explain this) what would you say is the most important building? You may answer more than one for a specific build type.

Depends.

At begining: 24 senate >> 31 academy > 35 farm+bath > 15 temple > 45 farm > 30 barrack > 30 docks.

Later game: Nothing more important. Every building will be built.

Artistotle > democritis > demois

Things we can take away:

1. Unsurprisingly no single person had stood out to jin before he left. Kinda hard to stand up to the sheer mass of troops he had.

2. Jin seems very unwilling to just answer my questions…

3. Prefers both? WTF

4. He probably favours temples higher than most people I know. He did seem to be a griff factory even outside of the event.

5. All his tips lead to you leaving a world.

Ituralde

I've used 2 golden (quad) tokens. I have two left. I didn't have the budget for acquiring the last 2. One was used to get a decent ABP score and one was used during the most recent Priory/Twisted OP on our alliance. Life is short, and even if the scale of the BP earned may rise over time, I figure the growth these gave me early-on outweighed the reward of holding them for later. These may be the most valuable tokens you can acquire in this game but they are meant to be used when good opportunities arise.

I am typically more of an attacker than a defender. The game is fun when I'm constantly fighting so I can satisfy that by either being the aggressor or being in a situation where I get attacked. I've been attacked a lot on this server. It's been fun.

I think both The Priory and Twisted are worthy foes. They have quite a few players I've fought with/against previously. I also fought against a lot of the Shadies on EN103 and we still duke it out on that server even while we work together here. I've played the game long enough that I've seen a lot of former enemies become friends, and I hope to see that here too. I'm certainly having a tough time catching many of you offline.

The Senate. In the interest of building the biggest nuke you can, offensive city construction is as much about demolishing the city once you've built everything you need as it is about what is built in the city. This is important on morale servers also because if you reduce your point score this also reduces your morale penalty. How low do you dare demolish the senate, knowing that you may need to rebuild your wall at some point if the city gets attacked?

Aristotle.

Things we can take away:

1. Ituralde is by far the best interviewee I have come across so far.

2. Adaptable… Been hit hard and kept fighting despite preferring to be on the front foot.

3. He can keep one world separate from another which is very respectable. I think it’s a key skill in this game for longevity.

4. Interesting that he thinks his senate will help him in attacks

5. We WERE hard to catch offline. I think that changed this weekend gone lol

DeletedUser44213

adamesi91

2 (used 2)

Attacking because you can chose the time that will happen.

Don't remember anyone put up a real fight. Yes I know some that would be pain to fight :).

Farm

Urephon

Things we can take away:

1. Has had an nice easy ride so far, I wonder if he is close to the tough guys?

2. Good choice of building.

3. Only player to have a Hero of War as his highest level.

4. He likes attacking because it’s on his terms… That maybe suggests that there is a time you can hit him that is very inconvenient for him?

ErikWijmeersch

1. Where did the name "Skull SkeletonS" come from?

Oh nowhere, had an old unused alliance profile in my closet the only thing that had to be done was to put a nice name on it, often we look at the names of both merged teams and start from there, but here it was very difficult to merge the names and try to look, awesome, pro, a atractive

A name does not make you a better fighter or team, but it is an attraction pool for new blood.

So this had to be good and hopefully we succeeded.

2. Which leadership, besides your own, do you respect the most in the world and why?

Every leader / founder deserves the respect of an opponent or ally, as long as the leaders only put the team's interest first and do not prioritize their own survival.

Even the less skilled have my respect as long as honor loyalty is not ashamed, this is just a game, you can win or lose so many worlds but once you have lost your name it is forever, this also haunts you in other servers.

But if I have to give a name after all, it is up to "the shady bunch".Rumors say that they have been attacked for weeks by almost the full top 6 top 7 alliances, but no surrender, this requires a lot of energy and motivation skills to survive under these difficult circumstances.

3. Will your answer to this question be no?

(No answer)

4. Why do you play grepolis?

I was a little fed up with x.box due to advanced left time and this game was a nice alternative, and especially at the beginning much cheaper, unfortunately, it is not as cheap as it once was.

I love fighting and a challenge, in the beginning, it was something new, as I progressed the fighting started to come into the background and a new world opened up for me, the political game behind the scenes.

Thanks to this game I read the newspaper with the daily news different as I did before.

I understand the political systems behind it better and through this game, believe it or not, I became a better coach in daily life.

5. Are Skull SkeletonS planning on staying around for WW should they get that far?

Of course, I can not predict who will stay alive until WW.This depends on many factors, diplomacy, combat skills, activity, little luck, goodwill from other alliances, cooperation skills with other teams too many to mention but I suspect that every team that has reached the finish is obliged to themselves and their members to build those wonders.

Things we can take away:

1. Erik ain’t got no time for stupid question… HE IS JUST TOO BUSY GREPOLISING

2. A true lover of the game. Enjoys the war, the politics and the tactics. An interest in all areas tends to bring us the most successful players… No exception here.

3. I like how he relates this game to the real world. It’s important to realise the experience this can give you in online communication as well. Try and organise a project with a team of 10? Well, have you ever tried getting 100 people in alliance to agree on their direction….

4. The Shady Bunch earn yet another vote for their ability to endure. I should know, I was fighting them for months and I’m not sure they even noticed…

5. Thought has gone into the name from a tactical perspective. Does Erik scream master tactician to anyone?

DeletedUser44213

4. The Gossip

Now, unfortunately, the gossip has been killed a bit in the forums. But here is the summary as to why:

1. The moderators have had to step in and ban members (I hope to mention the term ban without discussing specifics is not a breach of rules) and try to quell the personal comments that have been made in the externals. There has been an influx of unnecessary personal comments that have killed the mood in the externals. Hopefully, we can get back to some good old-fashioned grepo related trash talk.

giphy.gif

2. There is a general consensus forming in the forums that the uses of gold is hurting the competitive nature of the game. People would like to see more worlds without morale, and more worlds without pacts. This is a very common theme appearing and I think it will take an agreement between the world to make this happen. Maybe leaders would be behind a plan to drop all pacts when the WW era starts? Would really liven up the end game.

giphy.gif

3. TS and TF REALLY don’t like each other.

4. In more personal and light-hearted news… The Shady Bunch led by SlothTzu invaded The Priory discord chat last night. After I had kicked them and got rid of all our messages, we brought them back in and chatted for an hour. Bear in mind that just this weekend Shady took 21 cities from us we were able to have a good chat and laugh. I think, although not seen by anyone outside the chat, it was a real victory for the game. That is how it should be. Two enemies chatting casually, having a laugh. Please join the Epidamnos World Wide Chat that I have set up. I have posted the link here because people who have read this far care enough about the world to contribute to the chat. Please join as you IGname otherwise I will have to kick you... And I don't wanna do that :p Let's keep it respectful too. I don't think this has ever been attempted before so let's make it work!
https://discord.gg/XExPgA

giphy.gif

6. The Educational Section

That time again! This time we are going to have a look at a few words who’s origins are from Greek! Apologies if English is not your first language and this doesn’t interest you…

1. Narcissism

Narcissism comes from the Ancient Greek mythological figure of Narcissus, a young man who fell in love with himself when he saw his reflection in a lake. A nymph, who fell passionately in love with him, withered away into nothingness when he ignored her and the only thing that was left of her was her voice. Her name was Echo.

2. Marathon

A marathon is a long-distance footrace and there are thousands of marathons taking place every year around the world. Officially, a marathon is 42.1 km (or 26.1 miles) long, in a nod to the actual distance between the cities of Marathon and Athens. Legend has it that in 490 B.C. Phidippides ran all the way to Athens from a battlefield in Marathon to announce to the world that the Persians had been defeated at the Battle of Marathon. After his victorious announcement, he collapsed and died. In 2010, Greece celebrated the battle’s 2,500 year jubilee with, what else… a marathon.

And we get our words from a few of the gods too!

· Ôkeanos (God of the river Oceanus, the source of the Earth's fresh water) > ocean (large body of water)

· Khaos (the void from which all life sprang) > chaos (confusion, disorder)

· Clotho (the youngest of the Three Fates who spun the thread of life) > cloth (material made by weaving)

· Hêlios (god of the sun) > heliotrope (plant that turns towards the sun)

I think it really is fascinating how the English Language has been shaped by ancient languages in ways we never even consider. Please post below words you know to be from Greek Mythology!

Hope you have enjoyed yet another issue, and don’t forget to be a part of the discord chat to keep in with all the most active players of this world.

DeletedUser52860

A top paper. Not even here anymore and it's still a good read. I good mix of info and banter without decending into the nasty stuff which creeps into these externals all too often.

Keep them coming bud.

DeletedUser44213

And what happened next... Was a bloodbath and a half hahaha

DeletedUser26156

Great paper, as always. Love the bit on the Greek roots of words. Did you know though that, before the battle, Phidippides also ran all the way to Sparta and back to ask for aid in 2 days, a distance of 150 miles?

DeletedUser44213

Great paper, as always. Love the bit on the Greek roots of words. Did you know though that, before the battle, Phidippides also ran all the way to Sparta and back to ask for aid in 2 days, a distance of 150 miles?

I did not! I have read a lot of the book "Mythos", absolutely great read, but some slips my mind at times haha

jameslongst

Strategos
TF doesn't hate TS. We appreciate fighters willing to stick it out despite poor leadership. In fact, we stand ready to offer very generous terms of surrender to the Twisted Alliances.

Cease all offensive actions in 045. Take my partner on as your founder.

After you do this we will help you guys get trimmed back up into fighting shape.

Think about it. Contact me ig if you wish, anytime. Some of you already have.

With respect,
j

Kurbads.

Phrourach
Even the less skilled have my respect as long as honor loyalty is not ashamed, this is just a game, you can win or lose so many worlds but once you have lost your name it is forever, this also haunts you in other servers.

well done author, except that interview with honor loyalty guy Erik who killed his own team and backstabed so many in t his grepo career.. no respect for this guy - all he can do is olimpic games 24/7, dramas and huge rotating coalitions.. I never blamed massive gold users before but this "honored" guy killing grepo.. im sure soon we see skull shadies and skull priory and funny thing is that these little noname leaders are happy to be in Eriks back pocket.

jameslongst

Strategos
well done author, except that interview with honor loyalty guy Erik who killed his own team and backstabed so many in t his grepo career.. no respect for this guy - all he can do is olimpic games 24/7, dramas and huge rotating coalitions.. I never blamed massive gold users before but this "honored" guy killing grepo.. im sure soon we see skull shadies and skull priory and funny thing is that these little noname leaders are happy to be in Eriks back pocket.

You obvi never heard of an alliance called Hert.

How much gold gets you by, kurbs? A little? A lot?