The life and times of the tiny

DeletedUser

So I am new to Beta and Greoplis. Been reading around and noticed how everyone seems to think the forum is dead. So here is my attempt to liven things up and perhaps to induce a bit of nostalgia for you players who barely remember your 1 city days.

Morning in Invasion-
Lord Thukydities rises before the dawn as usual to another shining day in Grepoland. He is only mildly annoyed that all the troops are home and asleep in the barracks as the island is secure. Grabbing a cauldron and spoon he walks through barracks and raises the cry, "All up!,All up! there's booty to be had men, get dressed and in the yard in five!"

After the men are assembled in the yard he quickly sends the horsemen off to the three cities with the largest take on the island and sets the seargents to drilling the other men while waiting for the cavalry to return.

A quick scan of yesterdays scroll reminds him of which cities have been recently plundered and in no time he has compiled a list for where his raiders will be going first. By now the horsemen have returned from their quick trip with panniers bulging. The yard is a riot of activity as loot is unloaded into the warehouse and men grab weapons and personal good luck charms.

Now with the full army assembled down by the docks, Lord Thukydities addresses the men.

"I'm proud of all of you. In the short time since our founding we have had 2 victory processions and if we keep this up by the time we research conquer we won't be just taking one city men, but two! (huzzah!) Now get yourselves on to those ships and bring us back gold and glory! (huzzah!)"

The men rush to the ships, soon the din is past and all that remains is the waiting. Watching the sails disappear around the headland, He thinks to himself, life is good.

-So there we are. Comments?

DeletedUser

This is very nice... However, I am used to one city :) (I just started in Lambda :p)

DeletedUser

Is there another chapter?

I figured before I bothered to write more I would see what sort of response I got. If people seemed interested I would continue to inform you of the exploits of my city.

And heck, since this is what went on in my Beta account, I have to live them before I can write them.

DeletedUser

"My Lord..."

Raising his head from the book he cast his glance upon the steward. Never had he seen Baldrick this agitated. "yes"

"You must come, a ship..."

Striding from his keep the sail was obvious the moment he cleared the doorway. Perhaps he should listen to his builders and raise the wall higher but it was friendly. Lord Antoni's crest clearly visible even at a distance. But why? They had no meetings scheduled. And the speed as they entered the Harbor, something was afoot.

It seemed forever as he waited, a Lord did not go running to the docks like a girl, so wait he must but finally the messenger knelt before him and held forth a scroll. "My Lord. From Lord Antoni. And Urgent"

How he longed to break the wax there and answer his questions but nobility must be maintained. "A flask of wine Baldrick, in the study."

Even after taking his seat he did not break the seal. He could almost feel the tension in Lord Antoni's seal, like his hand had been shaking while the impression was made but he waited until Baldrick had brought the wine and poured him a goblet. Then waiving away his steward he broke the seal and read the news. At last.

Downing the wine in a single swallow he set his feet towards the Temple. His long strides brought him to the open doors and he could hear the priests murmuring their eternal prayers to Hera. To the center and her golden statue his purpose carried him, then brought him to his knee's.

"My goddess, we need your help." Like an invisible wave he could feel her power spread out from the icon covering his city in her Glory.
"Thank you." Raising now he approached the High Priest.

"We will be needing Athena's help. You know what to do."

Not waiting for a response his next stop was the barracks. Troops he needed and a short conversation later he new they would soon be in training. Then the Harbor. Though his fleet seemed enough these were uncertain times and he needed all he could get. Before he had even left the beach the sound of hammers rang in the air as another sleek vessel was being prepared for its bloody work.

"Baldrick, assemble the captains. I must address them." Never even looking to assure himself that Baldrick had heard or was even their. His steward had never failed him.

The sun was slowly sinking towards the horizon and two of his own ships were sliding into their slips as he cast his gaze around the city. The glint of new gold and silver was clearly visible from the men returning home and by just the sound he knew it had been a successful voyage. Why not? Had they ever failed him?

His captains sat in silence. Lord Thukydities. Terror of Ocean 15 sitting like a rock before them, the half curled scroll from Lord Antoni on the desk before him, eager they were. For blood and glory.

"It seems our ally has some friends coming to visit. The rabbits are tired of running and have turned to fight."

Eyes and faces shone with excitement but still the silence.

"Are you ready for a war?"

"Huzzah! Huzzah!, Huzzah!"

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Your cunning and subtle reference with Baldrik made me smile.

DeletedUser

Your cunning and subtle reference with Baldrik made me smile.

Thank you for catching it. Black Adder II, FTW!
And no worries Percy and Ploppy son of Ploppy will most likely find their way into the story as well.

And if something makes you winch, sorry for the inconwienience. lol

Hard to believe Bean is the same guy. Not funny at all IMO.

DeletedUser

I completely agree! Bean makes me cringe.

Can't wait for the next episode of your story :D

DeletedUser

Great story, it is quite compelling :)
Perhaps you could enlist more people to write other viewpoints such as of people you help, your captains, etc. ;)

DeletedUser

Great story, it is quite compelling :)
Perhaps you could enlist more people to write other viewpoints such as of people you help, your captains, etc. ;)

I would LOVE if someone from the other side of this war could write their POV. That would be outstanding.

I have been sick for the past couple days and just last night had a huge real life blow. Stress hormones on top of the illness have really wrecked me.

Lots has happened and tried to put something together but my eloquence seemed to have suffered as well, So I will be re writing it. I would rather make you guys wait a bit than give you something that fails to live up to previous posts.

Hopefully a snack and a nap will help to repair my muse and I can get something worth reading to you soon.

Thank you all for the positive feedback.

This game and this forum have made me look back on my days of Travian as a waste of time. This community is outstanding and I hope to be around for the long haul.

-T

DeletedUser

The hours since Lord Antoni's scroll had arrived had been a blur of activity. His own messages had needed to be written, coded and sent on to his allies. Several more messengers had arrived from all the members of Pernicious Fate and he had even met with the Lords Koldo and Antoni in a fishing ship at a roughly center point between them. It was good to see his allies and several important matters had been settled. Then the breakneck trip back to Invasive to meet with his Captains.

After he had conferred with his captians the hurried loading of the ships had begun and getting the men off to the first target of the evening, White City. They had been under the boot of Pernicious fate for sometime so resistance was expected to be light. When his troops returned the report was as expected. Less than a handful of defenders. The loot was lighter than expected but the wall was once again razed and as soon as the meager haul off loaded the ships were again gone. This time the result was not a forgone conclusion.

It was Ionian Revolt who had a handful of attacks inbound on Lord Antoni but they were all from days away. They seemed not to understand how important alliance cohesion was as did he and his allies. The plan was to show them the folly of their ways.

THEBOS lay but a few hours from Invasion and Thukydities was sure they had not the foresight to reinforce this city before rashly joining in the fun. He had promised Lord Antoni that the only result of IR's attacks was that they had made AMISTER an unhappy Lord.

The wait was not long, it simply felt that way and even before his fleet returned to the harbor he could hear the laughter and ribald comments ringing on the water telling him the attack had been a success.

Then he heard his most loyal captain, Brasidas' voice from across the water.

" A total victory M'Lord! They had no idea we were coming! A surprise most complete and victory! Victory! Victory!"

The Victory Procession began the moment the ships were in their slips but he took Brasidas aside to learn the details of the attack. Over 200 enemy slain, wall destroyed and more loot lying around than they could carry. The ships were hardly sea worthy so much had been crammed in but it was the 104 men that would never return that blackened Lord Thukydities face. Never yet had their losses been so great.

"Now cheer up my Lord", Brasdias jibed him "history is written in blood and though a paragraph was written by us tonight, THEBOS provided us will a full chapter. By morning our culture will allow us a third city." Then, being lead into the growing party by his trusted man, the night became but a blur of ale, happy faces and that slip of a girl who he had found in his bed when he awoke the next morning.

When he came out of his bedchamber, head ringing and foggy with too much ale Baldrick awaited him. "My Lord, a new swordsmen, Athena brought him, you must speak with him."

This was confusing. Had he not just gotten the High Priest to change the temple over to Athena? There was no way they had gained enough of her favor to gain this and he knew he had yet to ask anything of his new patroness. Yet there he stood when he entered the yard. Strong, young, fully equipped and obviously trained by the way he carried himself. The swordsmen went to his knee at Lord Thukydities approach, "I am here to serve you my Lord. There were more of us but your city could only afford to feed me."

"Rise and tell me who sent you."

"King K my Lord"

"Welcome to my service swordsmen. Report to the barracks, now off with you."

Could Athena have been so pleased with his choosing to dedicate his temple to her she influenced this King K to send this man to him? Well his head was foggy and hurt he would send a messenger immediately and find the truth of these matters.

Before he could even regain the shade(the morning sun hurt his eyes) Brasidas was by his side. "The men are ready and waiting M'Lord, all we need is your command."

What? Oh, yes the attack they had planned for iZues00. "Fine, off with you. Baldrick! A cool cloth and someone to rub this sore neck."

Back in his study it seemed the entire day passed in a fog spent writing letters and receiving messengers. The attack against iZeus00 was not as successful as hoped. They had been seen coming and the entire militia had been turned out by iZeus. Hardly any booty taken and fairly heavy losses. If not for the fact that again the walls had been reduced to rubble and an enemy ship sunk he might not have even called this a victory. The war was certainly heating up. Was that his own ship? Or support. Perhaps he should visit the spies and have them look into this.

But his head still pounded and neck felt like an iron bar was in it. A nap was called for and Baldrik's voice informing him of "important matters" was the last he heard before he drifted off...

...Awake and feeling better. Not feeling right but at least that terrible fog had left his head.

"Baldrik! Wine. I must review whats been done."

In his study now, the letters he had sent to this King K in his hand, he could hardly believe his own words. Honor demands, thanks but no thanks, what had he done? But the past cannot be undone. The war continued and there was an unopened scroll that must have arrived while he slept. The seal bore that of iZeus and the future had yet to be written.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

The point of iZeus' correspondence completely escaped him. This was the third time his walls had been raised and his troops massacred. Why write and claim that Lord Thukydities was weak and a coward? He could understand frustration and even anger but this was pathetic pointless drivel. He consigned the scroll the fire and promised himself any future scrolls would join it unopened. The only way he would interact with iZeus would be with his armies from now on. Besides he had wasted enough time on this, the sun was already setting and this would be a busy evening.

Thukydities gathered a few important scrolls and hurried for the harbor. The entire army was again on the move and already more than two dozen ships were making way while more men filled the transports still at the docks. He could see the fire ships at the head on the convoy, the failing light turning their sails red, eerily reflecting their brutal purpose. He mounted the quay and headed for the bireme that awaited to take him on the short trip to Argamedon and his meeting with Lord Koldo. The men were once again on their way to White City, another trip to keep Lord Gandoff firmly beneath the boot of Pernicious fate. Lord Koldos men should be preparing or already on their way to Lord Peckeroo's city on a similar mission.

This meeting was important. Legions of Greece was finally starting to support each other and they were both certain who was the mastermind of this weak alliance. Setting sail the bireme speed past the slower transports and fire ships and in but a few minutes he saw the fleet of Lord Koldo heading south. Lord Koldo's word was like good steel, folded and tempered, it could not be broken.

As they swept into the Harbor he saw the man himself awaiting him at the docks. Tall and slender stood Lord Koldo with a grace in his movements that bespoke of competence and fitness. Like himself this Lord not only could command but was a warrior born and found time to keep himself in fighting shape.

"You bloody killer, do you have them?" the first words from Koldo's lips as Thukydities stepped from the ship.

"Of course you old wolf. Have I failed you yet?" this new friendship had blossomed quickly and he truly like this man. He could be described as regal and was most definitely the only man who he might consider bending his knee to but in the internal politics of Pernicious Fate neither one had yet gained more than the respect of the other.

They made their way to Koldo's private chambers and Baldrick laid the scrolls before Thukydities before retreating to the background.

"As we agreed. Lord Cobarde is 5000 silver poorer and I have the report as well. He has more biremes than I like. We need to move now." Passing the reports across the table Thukydities noticed Koldo's man bringing a silver tray into the room. Upon it were two fat cigars and two crystal tumblers filled with strong whiskey. Koldo was wealthier than he and again he felt the unwelcome feeling of envy. What could he accomplish had he but a portion of this Lord wealth.

Koldo's face was dark as he was studying the spies report but brightened when he noticed the cigars and drinks. Snatching up one of the cigars and motioning to the remaining he spoke, "will you join me in some relaxation? From the looks of this we have bloody work ahead of us."

They spoke for a full hour. The room filled with smoke as the plan took shape. Koldo would clear the way with his fleet of fireships, his capitain making them more efficient for this task. Thukydities army, larger and more battle hardened would follow them in and clear the city. The need for speed was paramount so the meeting ended as soon as possible. By now both their fleets would be on the way back from their respective attacks and Thukydities must return to send them back out on this new mission.

Having beaten his army back to Invasion Thukydities took this short period of time to open one of the many tombs from his personal library. He was an avid reader of the histories and works of military men. The mind was a weapon and must be honed by words as a swords must be sharpened by the stone.

When he heard the word from Baldrik that the fleet was approaching his swift strides brought him to the docks.

"Pass the word! As quickly as possible, resupply and reboard! We strike Feigling tonight!"

The efficiency of his men was extraordinary and as quickly as they had appeared from the darkness they faded back into it. Their new mission a fire in their breasts. The call of victory their guiding star.

The nervous waiting could not keep him from taking the time to pull Herodotus' tomb from it place on the shelf and become absorbed by its words. It took the shouts of the guards to accomplish that. A spy from Lord Codarde had been caught. He must know they were coming. Surprise had been lost and this had just become very interesting.

DeletedUser

*appluads*

Still a great and compelling story. Might be able to compile a book by the time you put up the pen :)

You ever consider a career as a writer, if you do not already have one?

DeletedUser

It certainly looks like at least a short story is in the works. I am not sure if there are enough Gropo fans to make publishing worth while though.

As for me. I have done a bit of erotic fiction for S&G but I am just an ex-construction worker and current backcountry trail guide. The only thing I had considered writing was a treatise on morality in America. Not quite so interesting or exciting a read. lol

DeletedUser

True, but with some rewording, mostly in names and such, it could be more like a story of an ancient Greek world full of competing city-states.

Yet I'm sure some people would have read the treatise anyways :D