Unused units - We could make a refreshing update to this game.

Let’s face it, there are units you will never make, or just in extreme circumstances.
I did extensive research on different units and I realized that this game could be more interesting if we could balance things a bit. We can even have a world where we do testing, before launching updates. But that’s just a suggestion.

So here is what I found:

There are units that anyone makes. And this is fine. Why would I make a unit that's not good? We all know how good Slingers and Horsemen are in attacking scenarios. Also, there is another part when defending we make Swordsmen and Archers, maybe Hoplites. More on the hoplites later on.

Chariots

I don’t see why someone would make Chariots. The main thing that makes this unit “ undesirable ” is that it costs 4 population, while the stats don’t add up.

56 Sharp attack for 4 pop = 14/pop

This compares to the Hoplites, but they have 16 sharp attack. More than 14% more.

76 Blunt defense for 4 pop = 19/pop

Here is where it might be interesting exploring this unit. There is nothing that has this much blunt def/pop. Hoplites have 18, Swordsmen have 14. Basically here we see a small advantage of this unit. 5.5% advantage over the Hoplites.

16 Sharp defense for 4 pop = 4/pop

This is where chariots just become useless.

56 Ranged defense for 4 pop = 14/pop

Swordsmen have 30 ranged defense/pop. That’s more than double.

Bottomline: Chariot's only true strength is in Blunt defense, where it outperforms anything on a /pop basis. But, we have an issue. And I can encourage you to open up the simulator and see for yourself. 400 Horseman - Attackers VS. 300 Chariots - Defenders. Both sides have 1200 pop. But the Horseman will win. It is a shame that the most advanced unit is not used. It does not make much sense to me. I can research on level one Academy and have Slingers, and those units would be better off than with Chariots.

Let me break this down. We have 3 types of defenses. Each type has a go to unit. Ranged def - swordsmen; Sharp def - Archers; Blunt def - Hoplites. But with attacks, we use one of the units that we are using in def. Hoplites. (Blunt being Horseman and ranged with Slingers). Hoplites have one of the highest Sharp in the barrack/pop. (Mythicals excluded).

So then we don't change things up? Why don’t we make it so that one becomes a better attacker and/or the other becomes a better defender?

Suggestion: Make Chariots actually good at Sharp Attack or Blunt defense.

Divine envoy

Let’s face it. You make this unit just so you pass the mission. And then use it to complete the mission with bandits.

What is the issue? Same as before. It costs too much population, or we can go the other way around. It doesn’t have the stats we wish for a unit that occupies 3 pop.

Bottomline: No one makes this unit because the stats and pop cost doesn’t add up.

Suggestion 1: Reduce the pop to 2 and then reduce the attacks to 35-40. Just so it doesn’t perform better than the Horseman.

Suggestion 2: Increase the defense values to 50-55 to all. That way we could argue that it would make much more sense to make these units for defending a city.

Trireme

Let’s face it. There is one reason why you would make this. You send a CS with Triremes so that it cannot be taken over right after you win the first the naval battle, and than you wish to have defensive units lay around until reinforcements arrive. Even then we can argue there are better ways to accomplish that.

This unit has 15.625/pop both in attack and defense. Compared to Biremes that have 20 def/pop, Triremes are behind by 28%. Quite a difference. Light Ships have 20 att/pop. The same 28% difference.

Bottomline: It is weird how the most advanced naval unit (excluding the CS, that’s not for combat), it’s basically useless.

Suggestion 1: Reduce the pop to anything between 12 and 14. At 12 pop, it would be the best unit in the game. At 14 it would be a bit better, it would be just 12% less efficient (that’s 16% increase in efficiency).

Suggestion 2: Increase attack and/or defense. I would say somewhere around 300 would be a great number.

Suggestions for game devs
This article wants to put the spotlight at the units that are not used, or rarely used and the reasons they are not being used.

My intention with this post is to make this game better. My suggestion is that for these kinds of changes we create a test server that runs for X amount of days to see, analyze and gather data over what changes should be made. It would surely refresh the game.

MasterSpy

Chiliarch
Like your other thread, i see where you're coming from but your arguments lack thought. Chars are fast, and getting that defense there in time to block attacks is often more important than the strength ratio. DE's are one of the most important units of this game. Use them wisely and correctly to favour farm and you will have a huge advantage over your enemy in both spelling attacks and boosting WW builds. I agree with you in regards to tris in a revolt world, however they are a great option in a cq world frontline city as they give you the chance of both front and back snipes. My argument on this topic would be more related to many of the useless mythical units.

Clas17

Hipparchus
Let’s face it, there are units you will never make, or just in extreme circumstances.
I did extensive research on different units and I realized that this game could be more interesting if we could balance things a bit. We can even have a world where we do testing, before launching updates. But that’s just a suggestion.

So here is what I found:

There are units that anyone makes. And this is fine. Why would I make a unit that's not good? We all know how good Slingers and Horsemen are in attacking scenarios. Also, there is another part when defending we make Swordsmen and Archers, maybe Hoplites. More on the hoplites later on.

Chariots

I don’t see why someone would make Chariots. The main thing that makes this unit “ undesirable ” is that it costs 4 population, while the stats don’t add up.

This compares to the Hoplites, but they have 16 sharp attack. More than 14% more.

Here is where it might be interesting exploring this unit. There is nothing that has this much blunt def/pop. Hoplites have 18, Swordsmen have 14. Basically here we see a small advantage of this unit. 5.5% advantage over the Hoplites.

Bottomline: Chariot's only true strength is in Blunt defense, where it outperforms anything on a /pop basis. But, we have an issue. And I can encourage you to open up the simulator and see for yourself. 400 Horseman - Attackers VS. 300 Chariots - Defenders. Both sides have 1200 pop. But the Horseman will win. It is a shame that the most advanced unit is not used. It does not make much sense to me. I can research on level one Academy and have Slingers, and those units would be better off than with Chariots.

Let me break this down. We have 3 types of defenses. Each type has a go to unit. Ranged def - swordsmen; Sharp def - Archers; Blunt def - Hoplites. But with attacks, we use one of the units that we are using in def. Hoplites. (Blunt being Horseman and ranged with Slingers). Hoplites have one of the highest Sharp in the barrack/pop. (Mythicals excluded).

So then we don't change things up? Why don’t we make it so that one becomes a better attacker and/or the other becomes a better defender?

Divine envoy

Let’s face it. You make this unit just so you pass the mission. And then use it to complete the mission with bandits.

What is the issue? Same as before. It costs too much population, or we can go the other way around. It doesn’t have the stats we wish for a unit that occupies 3 pop.

Bottomline: No one makes this unit because the stats and pop cost doesn’t add up.

Suggestion 1: Reduce the pop to 2 and then reduce the attacks to 35-40. Just so it doesn’t perform better than the Horseman.

Suggestion 2: Increase the defense values to 50-55 to all. That way we could argue that it would make much more sense to make these units for defending a city.

Trireme

Let’s face it. There is one reason why you would make this. You send a CS with Triremes so that it cannot be taken over right after you win the first the naval battle, and than you wish to have defensive units lay around until reinforcements arrive. Even then we can argue there are better ways to accomplish that.

This unit has 15.625/pop both in attack and defense. Compared to Biremes that have 20 def/pop, Triremes are behind by 28%. Quite a difference. Light Ships have 20 att/pop. The same 28% difference.

Bottomline: It is weird how the most advanced naval unit (excluding the CS, that’s not for combat), it’s basically useless.

Suggestion 1: Reduce the pop to anything between 12 and 14. At 12 pop, it would be the best unit in the game. At 14 it would be a bit better, it would be just 12% less efficient (that’s 16% increase in efficiency).

Suggestion 2: Increase attack and/or defense. I would say somewhere around 300 would be a great number.

This article wants to put the spotlight at the units that are not used, or rarely used and the reasons they are not being used.

My intention with this post is to make this game better. My suggestion is that for these kinds of changes we create a test server that runs for X amount of days to see, analyze and gather data over what changes should be made. It would surely refresh the game.
chariots - op for front cities as a quick hybrid unit good att and deffense ; good when rebuilding since they use a lot of stone which would go to waste if you are just building the other units

trireme - same argument, att+def kind of make sense for front cities that you send a CS from

divine envoys - very important to farm favor

I understand you want to improve the game but you lack knowledge of it

Venomm

Hipparchus

So here is what I found:

Chariots

Divine envoy

Trireme

For all of that I'm only agree with trireme part. Most of the time I meet tris nuke the bp ratio they give is very very bad. They can't even face full ls nuke and can't even break 400 birs *without full buff*. Maybe it have little useful in frontline but personally I'll never ever make it. SO I agree if Inno want to revamp trireme a bit.
That's a photo about how suck trireme nuke is even with the help of 60% bonus attack from heroic temple(it's oly world btw), 20% captain, 10% ram and 10% bonus from narcissism. I know that luck is -19 but imagine if this guy don't cast that heroic power, I doubt it'll break unless luck is 10%-20%. But yeah, sure it'll depends on other style too
Note: Sorry if I do some mistake with the count.
For chars and divine envoy, sorry but I'm not agreed because they have many useful thing(esp divine envoy)

Attachments

• yoo.png
    yoo.png
    690.1 KB · Views: 10
Last edited: