Why cheating will destroy this wonderful game

DeletedUser23222

First of all ...I am not a game mod or manager - I have no connection to INNO whatever. I just really like playing Grepolis. I looked for a long time to find an honest game - and finally found this one. I commend INNO for running an honest game. They seem to be trying to weed out the cheaters. You see... this is critically important, because if left unchecked the cheaters will destroy this game.

When a player cheats with a bot or by using multiple accounts, he gains a significant competitive advantage. He can quickly amass a stockpile of resources and race ahead of his competition. The cheater makes a mockery of the honest player, who spends hours and hours of their life time and/or precious gold. At some point, the honest players realize they cannot compete with the cheaters. They see a cheater who logs on for ten minutes to "tweak" his bot, while they labor for 12 hours and still fall short. This is when the honest player faces the Faustian choice of "cheater or fool" - some quit in disgust and some start cheating too - and the game is then ruined.

The really sad part is that... the cheaters lose in the end. When one player cheats and the rest are honest - he enjoys the fruits of his evil act. But if everyone cheats - then everyone loses. I have seen what a game looks like when all the players bot and use multiaccounts. No one chats - no one plays - it is a game of scripts - a truly dead and worthless game. In game theory this is called - The Tragedy of the Commons (a corollary of Prisoner's Dilemma). Look it up on Google - Wikipedia has a nice write-up.

So I applaud INNO for trying to keep an honest game alive. Those of you complaining about CAPTCHAs have no idea what is coming. These games are full of little kids and psychopaths- players without the moral sense to understand why rules are essential. In my opinion, it is up to the players to police themselves. If a player tells you he is cheating - turn him in. If you see a player in your alliance who is obviously cheating - confront him. The alliance leaderships need to have a zero-tolerance policy - if you cheat you will be caught and booted and turned in - period.

The power of shame and disgrace can discourage some from cheating. Some cheaters do not realize that they are only cheating themselves - that winning a battle when you cheat is a lie and a sin. They justify their cheating by saying ... "My foe used gold!" or "The game is too hard!" or “I only cheat occasionally.” or "I have real life commitments!" Finally they announce... "I must cheat because everyone else is cheating" and that is when the game is destroyed.

DeletedUser

My opinion?

Don't be THAT guy.

You ALL know the guy I'm talking about... the guy other people dislike because of the bad/pathetic/lame/selfish things they do.

Even if you get away with it, and other people don't know you're doing those things... you're STILL THAT guy.

Don't be THAT guy.

:rolleyes:

DeletedUser

First of all ...I am not a game mod or manager - I have no connection to INNO whatever. I just really like playing Grepolis. I looked for a long time to find an honest game - and finally found this one. I commend INNO for running an honest game. They seem to be trying to weed out the cheaters. You see... this is critically important, because if left unchecked the cheaters will destroy this game.

When a player cheats with a bot or by using multiple accounts, he gains a significant competitive advantage. He can quickly amass a stockpile of resources and race ahead of his competition. The cheater makes a mockery of the honest player, who spends hours and hours of their life time and/or precious gold. At some point, the honest players realize they cannot compete with the cheaters. They see a cheater who logs on for ten minutes to "tweak" his bot, while they labor for 12 hours and still fall short. This is when the honest player faces the Faustian choice of "cheater or fool" - some quit in disgust and some start cheating too - and the game is then ruined.

The really sad part is that... the cheaters lose in the end. When one player cheats and the rest are honest - he enjoys the fruits of his evil act. But if everyone cheats - then everyone loses. I have seen what a game looks like when all the players bot and use multiaccounts. No one chats - no one plays - it is a game of scripts - a truly dead and worthless game. In game theory this is called - The Tragedy of the Commons (a corollary of Prisoner's Dilemma). Look it up on Google - Wikipedia has a nice write-up.

So I applaud INNO for trying to keep an honest game alive. Those of you complaining about CAPTCHAs have no idea what is coming. These games are full of little kids and psychopaths- players without the moral sense to understand why rules are essential. In my opinion, it is up to the players to police themselves. If a player tells you he is cheating - turn him in. If you see a player in your alliance who is obviously cheating - confront him. The alliance leaderships need to have a zero-tolerance policy - if you cheat you will be caught and booted and turned in - period.

The power of shame and disgrace can discourage some from cheating. Some cheaters do not realize that they are only cheating themselves - that winning a battle when you cheat is a lie and a sin. They justify their cheating by saying ... "My foe used gold!" or "The game is too hard!" or “I only cheat occasionally.” or "I have real life commitments!" Finally they announce... "I must cheat because everyone else is cheating" and that is when the game is destroyed.
Congrats and very nice in the wording excelent

DeletedUser32469

A very important contribution, and exactly right. But don't forget, those of you who applaud, that it is also a call to action. If you are in an alliance which relies on one or two star players who apparently, or even openly use bots, will you have the courage to call them on it in the alliance forum? I sincerely hope so.

DeletedUser

Well u should, but before you do so, you might want to stockpile on troops just in case...
Anyways, very nicely said OldDragon

DeletedUser5554

Very good point there is no sense in cheating. Winning a game that you can't win on your own is just pathetic. I feel like you came from Runescape given how you're talking about cheating and how it greatly ruins games. XD

DeletedUser

Very nicely put.

I would place a example of a game where you can see for yourself the corruption of cheaters can do to a game, but I can't remember if that would be breaking grepo's rules (advertising?) so PM if you're curious.

+rep to you OD

DeletedUser12667

Yup, I agree that cheaters take advantages that should not be permitted and use them so they can be awesome. So to you cheaters I just wanna say, cheating is like not really winning cause you cheated.

DeletedUser

why cheating? the best answer lies in a corrupted human mind to gain power, advantage and money. perfect example is politics. try to be honest in the pre-election campaign by saying that the life standard will be lower than it is now (and the truth is, it will based on the predictions), that there will be people getting fired or their salaries decreased to cut money losses. no one will vote for you even if you speak the truth

so us people are selfish, lying and corrupt bastards. some of them more, some of them less. as for me, i like to keep it clean in this game. i've been playing it for to long, it's fun and i want it to stay that way!

DeletedUser31929

The sad part is they just want to keep Cheating on and on..The problem is that they
Just don't want to grow up.Some people fight over something for no reason.
They even argue with the moderators or admins...
I hate these kind of people..And they sometimes think they can GET AWAY With it...
Today They cheat
Tomorrow they Hack
Next week they steal
Next month they rob
Next month they go to jail...
I feel really bad for these people and,Yes,Grepolis is a fantastic game and Would be bad if it was ruined by some cheaters..

DeletedUser12667

You know now that I think of it, cheaters are everywhere. Not just grepo. People are always looking for an easy way out. In every aspect of life people are looking for the easy way to win. It is a shame life has gone from how can I help others to how can I get all I want and more.

Anyway, I think instead of fussing about those who break rules or whatever, we need to enjoy the company of players from different backgrounds with different opinions.

DeletedUser

+rep for OP. Well said.

You know now that I think of it, cheaters are everywhere. Not just grepo. People are always looking for an easy way out. In every aspect of life people are looking for the easy way to win. It is a shame life has gone from how can I help others to how can I get all I want and more.

Anyway, I think instead of fussing about those who break rules or whatever, we need to enjoy the company of players from different backgrounds with different opinions.

Agreed, there is only so much that can be done about cheating, in the end it is a problem we all have to put up with from time to time.

DeletedUser

Captia keep my mental math sharp and all that stuff. I can now say grepo is educational.

Though I do wonder how the system decides to give you captia's, I have a pal who just so happened to have a lot of spare time one weekend, he was online pretty much that entire time. Apparently after the first day he was getting captia every 30 minutes or so :eek: perhaps a little exaggeration, but still curious.

DeletedUser

Is it me you mean? I wonder

but on us server, i got hit 4 times in less then 24h, was not impressed at all, I do not like having to prove my innocence, what ever happened to innocent til proven guilty?

so i gave my us acc to a player, if it happens here, even 1 catchipa, 1 will not input any answer what so ever, and if that gets me banned so be it, because i will not play ever again

innocent til proven guilty, not guilty til you prove you are innocent

so here we go...

I just got an other of these prove you are not a bot test..I did not input the answer, so I have been locked out of the game, a game by the way I pay for..

I am also under attack and can not now defend my self....

nor can I contact support in game, had to log in to the start screen....

i then contacted support..awaiting reply..

to be clear to all......

I do not cheat, never had to, and if I get banned, well IG had better be sure it is for the right reasons..

I am innocent until proven guilty by EU law, not guilty until I prove I am not

"edit" apparently..in putting... "go have crude sexual relationships with your selves" is not the correct answer..who knew?

QUOTE=Richard;647399]Hi Slover,

To clarify, without going in to too much detail, players are not punished for incorrectly entering in a CAPTCHA, or missing a CAPTCHA. The system is designed to flag accounts who are potentially breaking the rules, but the banning is still a human entry, and further investigation will always be carried out.

i have delibertly input the wrong answer..i am still locked out

oh and I am still under attack..please explain the "not punished for incorrectly inputting the wrong answer" please

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser23222

The CAPTCHA is designed to prove you are a human and not a program. It takes a few seconds to input the correct answer. It makes it a little harder for the cheaters to use bots. It has nothing to do with your guilt or innocence. If you are old enough to drive, then you carry a drivers license. The police can stop you and ask you to produce it to prove you are licensed to drive. If you travel internationally, you carry a passport to prove you are a citizen of your home country. Life is full of such things. I don't see anyone complaining about this. So change your attitude and answer the two second question if you want to play.

DeletedUser

GROUND FORCE unit on my island is growint to fast that is not posible. Naw they are attacking me and i cant do nothing game becomes stupid!!!!

DeletedUser

@ olddragon

The CAPTCHA is designed to prove you are a human and not a program. It takes a few seconds to input the correct answer. It makes it a little harder for the cheaters to use bots. It has nothing to do with your guilt or innocence. If you are old enough to drive, then you carry a drivers license. The police can stop you and ask you to produce it to prove you are licensed to drive. If you travel internationally, you carry a passport to prove you are a citizen of your home country. Life is full of such things. I don't see anyone complaining about this. So change your attitude and answer the two second question if you want to play.

not in my country, the police have to justify why they stop you

lets do a comparison

police v antibot

i drive around at the legal limit........i farm every 5 minutes

the same police ask for papers 4 times in 1 day.....4 antibot tests in 1 day

when does the police stopping you become harassment in your personal opinion....4 tests in 1 day is far to much

oh and if you took the time to read my reply, you would see i deliberately put in the wrong answer and was still locked out for 30 minutes