Update to version 2.39 Discussion Thread

• Thread starter DeletedUser5832
  • Start date

DeletedUser

*pop*

It was illogical the way it worked before.

We are aware that the community is being pretty negative about this change. Thus we are currently debating solutions to make you happy again. :)

Explain why it was illogical? Also. The other illogical things that actually are illogical. Are they going away too just because of this reason?
I want a real reason and a good one.

Lets pretend I have an army and I attack the neighboring city.
I kill all the people I see. I see there are some ships in the harbor. I return with the loot to my city and tell what ships I saw.
Very logical IMO.

The current system is
I have an army. I attack the city. I kill all the people. I can't tell if the ship I see in the harbor is real or not. I must be hallucinating the whole thing. I better not report anything when I return to the city.
THIS is what people call illogical. Not the other one.

Please argue your view of the first scenario being illogical.

And why on earth would a sim game try to intentionally be less like the real life. Oh that is just silly. They would never do that intentionally.

Also. If this was intentional why the update list didn't have anything about this?
The whole thing doesn't even include words like unit, naval or report.
As long as it's not on the list it should be considered unintentional and therefore a bug. And what do we do with bugs. We fix them.
So please go and fix the bug. NOW.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

The update is BLAH!

I have to agree. Especially since there is still no quests in sight... Not that I think they would be of much use. Someone mentioned 16 "free" swords. Great...

Have to hope that the HC missing is another mistake.

In any case I feel my presence in this game is very much dying for every update.

DeletedUser30931

I am sick.

All of the feedback I've seen within my alliance has been vastly negative against this change, as stated before you profess to be encouraging greater attacking throughout the game but this change means more people will be cautious when attacking unknown targets and probably won't bother if they don't want to see all of their troops disappear.

I think as an aside to this, you have provided an update log of all of these minor changes to the game and posted several forum posts about things like the Island Quests and new 7 day reward which are largely irrelevant to your core long term gamers and yet you have not even bothered to include in your log a dramatic change to the game, which the vast majority of players use on a daily basis, let alone consult on whether the players would be in support of such a change... You have the devblogs now and the beta test servers and the change as far as I'm aware was not seen on either before it was made in game. I think all players appreciate your efforts to greater communicate with players on these matters but it seems rather odd that such an important change was implemented arbitrarily.

Also no Island Quests working in Helorus and Myonia as far as I'm aware.

This post says it all. This is ridiculous.

It was illogical the way it worked before.

You say it is illogical? There is a mountain in the middle of each island. Could there not be a scout that is on that mountain that reports what happened back to our city? And if we attack by land, that scout could see what boats are out at sea.

And to think I just spent some gold to find out that I cannot check harbours anymore!!! :pro:

Okay that may be one issue with the update.

However what do people think of the new island quests?

They look exciting and I can't wait to try them :)

What a typical political stunt! They release a gimmick to attract you with hidden changes. These changes make you angry, but they try to glorify what is "good" with it. They distract you from what is bad by trying to glamourise some sort of good thing they've done. These quests and rewards are nothing... It was whatever, but if I had to trade these gimmicks for my harbour checks, I WOULD,... Anyday.

Shame on you InnoGames. Shame

DeletedUser36146

Regarding Harbour checks

No notification about a major change to the game strategy - no excuse on that one!!
100% negative feedback so far so much for team Grepolis :(
Apparently its illogical - erm we are playing a game where
Greek Gods cast spells -
swordsmen and archers are useless at attacking -
a 3 headed dog guards my city
etc etc

Regarding 7 day rewards and quests
Who cares?

If I pay 50 gold can I opt out of future updates please?

DeletedUser

First off, I want to applaud the GrepDev team for their current efforts to involve the Grepolis community more in their efforts to improve the game and to guide their choices of additions and changes to the mechanics of the past time we all enjoy so much. That said, it was a little shady on your part to not include the removal of the Harbor Check mechanism in the update announcement. Obviously you knew about it ahead of time and only didn't let it be known because you feared the negative reaction. Your recent stance of being more open encouraged me much, and I expected more from you.

The removal of Harbor Checks maybe something that your feel is necessary, but it dramatically impacts the way the most aggressive players play the game. You have stated a desire to encourage more aggressive play and this change goes against that goal. Please return the game to it's previous functionality, or provide us with something equally useful for attacking. And do so quickly. We need to hear from you, right away, what you are planning to do about this concern. Many, many players are 'up in arms' over this change and talking about leaving the game forever.

Perhaps one solution would be to give us a new Naval unit; a Spy Ship (think of it as two highly skilled guys in a canoe). Something with resource and population costs similar to a CS (30000/170), but much, much faster - that would be sent as a single ship attack. It would do nothing but report back the naval units in a city. It could be sent from a city on one island to spy on a city on a different island or the same island. It would only be detected if the target city has an Oracle or a Lighthouse (maybe even make it so Lighthouse causes failure and destruction of the Spy Ship). Something like this could help in your stated aim of rebalancing the special buildings built by players (sincie it gives new functionality to Oracle and Lighthouse) and could also lead to a new type of specialized city for players to build and implement in their strategies.

Whatever you decide, you need to act quickly to let us know what you will be doing to satisfy the great disappointment this unannounced change has caused. Please don't leave us wondering for hours (days) on end without some feedback. You have made great strides in developing community involvement; to backslide now would be a terrible shame.

Thank you again for all your time and effort. I look forward (with bated breath and great anticipation) to hearing from you.

DeletedUser15637

The removal of the harbour check is a joke. As previously mentioned, how can living troops NOT see what is in the harbour?
I have been playing since BETA and it has been an integral part of the game for all those years and just like that you go and take it away citing it is illogical. I could reiterate others but i don't feel I have to. This move is a big no-no and I for one will not be spending any more on this game as you have made it worse not better.

RIP Grepo, I will remember you fondly :(

DeletedUser

The removal of the harbour check is a joke. As previously mentioned, how can living troops NOT see what is in the harbour?
I have been playing since BETA and it has been an integral part of the game for all those years and just like that you go and take it away citing it is illogical. I could reiterate others but i don't feel I have to. This move is a big no-no and I for one will not be spending any more on this game as you have made it worse not better.

RIP Grepo, I will remember you fondly :(

Give them a chance to make it right by putting it back.
But you are right. It doesn't make it pleasant to continue with the game if this kind of updates keep happening. Grepo is not the only war game online and it definitely is not the best. But they still deserve a chance to correct their mistake.

DeletedUser

While I agree, surviving troops should be able to report on harbor contents, don't forget that the most common use of the harbor check was a small probe attack with no surviving attack troops but still returning a count of the naval units present. This is the condition that I believe was being referenced when the word 'illogical' was used. I think most would agree that this is truly a situation where you shouldn't gain an intelligence report (unless you subscribe to the carrier pigeon theory). Regardless, it has been present for such a long period ,and become such an integral part of the game for attackers (in a game already weighted in favor of defensive players) that removing it without notice or reason and without communication of why or what changes might be coming to substitute for the strategy employed by harbor checks constitutes a major mistake by our GrepDev team.

As stated before, by one of their representatives, they are looking at/for a solution to this problem and the disappointment they have caused. Please everyone; continue to voice your feedback and provide constructive input to help them realize how great an error it was removing this feature and encourage them to correct it.

DeletedUser

bring back the harbour check. its an invaluable part of the strategy.

DeletedUser

I understand the whole, how can they report back home if they all died argument, but lets say that they can see the fleet before attacking the city and sends a pigeon back home with a report before attacking and thus giving us the harbor check even if they die in the attack (that would solve that objection without changing the game).

Adding this small explanation to, say, the game Wiki would justify everything. Heck, maybe add a little pigeon icon somewhere in the report to make it more official.

DeletedUser

Adding this small explanation to, say, the game Wiki would justify everything. Heck, maybe add a little pigeon icon somewhere in the report to make it more official.

Trying to be funny?

DeletedUser

newest demi-god - the PIGEON HUNTER......stands on the lonely mountain with blow gun in hand preventing messages being passed

also we could all "poison pigeons in the park" - we could have a matronly old lady known as "popcorn mary" and you could have her intercept the message and for a price - switch the message for some dis-information

bR32uno

Phrourach
Even surviving troops can't see what is in the harbor. :(
Where is the logic to that ? A big wall ?

And I still don't have quests, in any of my worlds.

DeletedUser

Trying to be funny?

Not at all, nor should my comment be mistaken for being ill mannered. The point is, there are ways of justifying the game feature, even if it was previously illogical. I see no reason as to why it cannot be brought back in some way, shape, or form.

bR32uno

Phrourach
You can calculate bireme numbers from a small LS attack also, so you might as well bring the feature back.

DeletedUser31280

I wish we could have harbor check back. any chance that could happen?

DeletedUser30111

This update is really interesting and neat, but the loss of harbor checks is really bumming me out...

DeletedUser

It was a great little loophole that separated newbs from vets. Bring it back please, its quirky little things like that, that make this game great.

HarborTroubles_zps14d4689b.jpg

DeletedUser

Yep not adding anything new here, but figure I'd put my two cents in here anyways.

After a world has existed for more than 6 months, spying pretty much drops out of the game. Most people just build up their caves from the start, thus end up with 200k+ silver in their caves. It's really only worth doing if you don't expect your target to have a full cave.

So spying has already been rendered useless essentially, because people found that harbor checking was much more effective. Now that the work-around has been taken away, I expect people will stop fighting and go sim before they go back to the horrible spying system.