Wish List Additional Gods

DeletedUser54805

Thank you for that analysis, but the purpose of my post was to give ideas. They aren't fully formed plans or anything. I shared them so others could modify/change them so that they are better. I understand that they are extremely powerful, but perhaps increasing the favor requirement makes them more limited, or changing specific values within the spell. You mentioned that Grepo is a real-time strategy game, not a dice game. Many of your counters to the spells proposed, are specific strategies.

DeletedUser54192

Just for reference, my point about it not being a dice game was in relation to the random resources spell, rather than the other spells.

I think some could be fixed with enough changes, but others are broken not because of their cost or the value for the strength of the effect, but because of the overall concept of the spell. Attack time scrambler, Trojan horse, and backwards invisibility all severely damage the tactic of sniping a CS, among other uses. (Backwards invisibility isn't quite so bad, but it can screw short TT snipes). Tortoise and Hare, by manipulating enemy travel times, are inherently overpowered, especially in revolt where you can just make the enemy miss the red revolt window. Several others, such as anti-flier and espionage, basically invalidate basic tactics (siege-breaking with fliers, and stacking your cave in any world). I will have a look later as to whether any of the others could be usable with tweaking, but haven't seen anything yet.

DeletedUser54843

maybe just add 4 for a total of 10

Demeter
Ares
Hermes
Aphrodite

your spells are a bit too OP

Yes, I agree about 3 of them. However, as much as I wanted to include HERMES, it seems Inno wants to include 1 male deity for each 1 female, and the other 4 male ones I included in the original post seemed to have much more validity to be included in Grepolis the game than Hermes. Hermes lacks the mythicals and spells (although there are a few possible ones) like the other 4 do.

DeletedUser54843

^ Basically all of these are too overpowered. Especially Ares, which is literally double of Athena's Heroic Power and also can take, what, 80 levels (maxed timber camp/silver mine down to 0) off buildings too if the units defeat? Like cmon way too strong...

Hecate sounds cool though

Been playing Grepo since 2010 and not once have I built a silver mine to level 40. Are you sure you play the game right?

DeletedUser54843

The current versions are too overpowered, in my opinion. I've thought about adding extra gods/goddesses. The Ares/Athena overlap always presents an issue. Athena currently has both strategy and power covered by her spells, which is basically the same as Ares, except that he is thought of as more about brute force and less about strategy (ignoring the Roman-based mythology, which would change his character significantly). I feel the same way about Aphrodite. If I was to design a spell for her, it would basically end up being Desire, and therefore not a worthwhile addition. Sometime I will work on my own and get them onto the wish list. (Don't expect them to ever be implemented, but fun to start a discussion on or get views on).

Once again, Grepolis isn't about Roman mythology, it's about the Greek one, god of war is Ares, not Mars, and they have different characteristics.
The point about DESIRE spell is well pointed out, however, there are ways to overcome it.

DeletedUser54843

seems like the main 3 gods to add are Ares, Heaphasus and Hecate

Ares: god of war, shows the brute side of war

Myth units:
Colchian Dragon - V. High Defence, low offence, cost ~400 favour to build, ~60 pop, Land. Cannot fly
Ismenian Dragon - High Offence, low to medium defence, cost ~250 favour to build, ~40 pop, Naval. Cannot Fly

Spells:
Vultures - Vultures feed on the dead, giving 10 favour for every 200 pop killed. cost 250
Serpents - Snakes terrorise the city making people stay inside, No attacks from that city can be sent for 1 hour. cost 400
Battle Lust - +20% attack strengh but remaining troops (your own) get destroyed. cost 350
Sparta - 5 hoplites get casted in the city. cost 60

Heaphastus: god of fire and craftsmen

Myth Units:
Talos - High Defence, High Offence, cost ~400 favour and ~65 pop. Land, Cannot fly
Bulls of Aaetes - V.High Offence, V.Low Defence, cost ~300 favour and ~45 pop, land, cannot fly

Spells:
Hammer - Buildings construct 30% faster for 3 hours, cost 100
Fire Rain - Timber Camp loses 3-5 levels, cost 270
Pandora - Decreased recruiting time by 30% for 3 hours, cost 200
Armour - 15% increased defence value in the city for all land troops for 3 hours, cost 400

Hecate:
goddess of magic, crossroads and ghosts

Myth Units:
Sphinx - High Offence, Low defence, cost 200 favour and 25 pop, land and can fly
Spirits - Medium Offence, V.Low Defence, cost 15 favour and 3 pop, land and can fly. CAN ATTACK INCOMING ATTACKS.

Spells:
Crossroads - 30-50% of attacking troops return home, cost 270
Necromancy - 5-10% of killed units when defending are brought back to life and given to you, cost 370
Blinding Light - Distance weapons have -10% offence. cost 120
Witchcraft - Land troops can attack a city on an isalnd nearby. Cost 500 and must wait 36 hours before being able to use it again

NICE!

That's exactly what I was looking for. Additional SPELL and MYTHICAL IDEAS, and you came out with new or improved (more game-realistic) ones than the ones I proposed. Your post is excellent!

DeletedUser54843

Let me add more about HEPHAESTUS:

Hephaestus was:
God of Craftsmanship, Stonemasonry, Metalworking and Sculpture. He created AUTOMATONS, robot-like creatures. He created Talos, the bronze giant, that roamed Crete, as well as the Bulls of Aeates, both of whom were Automatons. One of his symbols was the Axe.

I suggest the following:

Hephaestus:

Mythicals:
1 Talos: Favor Cost: 400 favor, Weapon Type: Sharp, High Offense, Very Strong Defense, quite high population cost. Land unit, cannot swim or fly.
2 Bulls of Aeates: Cost: 200 favor, Weapon: Blunt, High Defense, Medium Offense, average population cost. Land, cannot swim or fly.
(alternative mythical: Stone Giants)

Spells:
1. Bronze (or Iron) gift - if the 4th resource was ever included, be it Bronze or Iron, Hephaestus is the one that should give it - as the God of Metalworking. Favor cost 50, gain 500 iron/bronze.
2. Volcano/Fire- 2 levels of farm, or 1 farm and one other building (not including Walls), lowered as the effect of casting it on any city. Favor cost: 400, can only be used once every 4h (see what I did there? doubled up the restriction the EQ's given)
3. Axemen - cast this spell and the target city receives 4 Axemen!- a decently-strong attacking unit, attack strength 24, weapon type SHARP. Population Cost: 1 per unit-total 4, Favor: 60.
4. ? Not sure, haven't come up with one yet, however, it could deal with his sonemasonry skill.

DeletedUser54495

Been playing Grepo since 2010 and not once have I built a silver mine to level 40. Are you sure you play the game right?

I was giving an example buddy, and I was talking in the context of the spell. You know, I was trying to critique and help out an idea. Last time I checked the ideas section ain't for measuring d**k length with other forum-goers.
smiley_emoticons_confusednew.gif

DeletedUser54537

Let me add more about HEPHAESTUS:

Hephaestus was:
God of Craftsmanship, Stonemasonry, Metalworking and Sculpture. He created AUTOMATONS, robot-like creatures. He created Talos, the bronze giant, that roamed Crete, as well as the Bulls of Aeates, both of whom were Automatons. One of his symbols was the Axe.

I suggest the following:

Hephaestus:

Mythicals:
1 Talos: Favor Cost: 400 favor, Weapon Type: Sharp, High Offense, Very Strong Defense, quite high population cost. Land unit, cannot swim or fly.
2 Bulls of Aeates: Cost: 200 favor, Weapon: Blunt, High Defense, Medium Offense, average population cost. Land, cannot swim or fly.
(alternative mythical: Stone Giants)

Spells:
1. Bronze (or Iron) gift - if the 4th resource was ever included, be it Bronze or Iron, Hephaestus is the one that should give it - as the God of Metalworking. Favor cost 50, gain 500 iron/bronze.
2. Volcano/Fire- 2 levels of farm, or 1 farm and one other building (not including Walls), lowered as the effect of casting it on any city. Favor cost: 400, can only be used once every 4h (see what I did there? doubled up the restriction the EQ's given)
3. Axemen - cast this spell and the target city receives 4 Axemen!- a decently-strong attacking unit, attack strength 24, weapon type SHARP. Population Cost: 1 per unit-total 4, Favor: 60.
4. ? Not sure, haven't come up with one yet, however, it could deal with his sonemasonry skill.

The problem here is that you are remaking the game, implementing too many new features

DeletedUser54192

Yes, he is as a matter of fact. Maxed resource buildings is common sense when it comes to the WW stage, for example. And if you have a city in a safe zone, with less worries about maxing population available for OLU/LS nukes, then having maxed resource buildings can be useful for supporting your frontline cities to let them rebuild nukes more easily. And silver is extremely valuable due to caves as well.

Once again, Grepolis isn't about Roman mythology, it's about the Greek one, god of war is Ares, not Mars, and they have different characteristics.
The point about DESIRE spell is well pointed out, however, there are ways to overcome it.
I'd appreciate it if you read the entire sentence rather than dismissing it upon seeing the word 'Roman'. I said that the Ares/Athena overlap was present even when we ignore the Roman aspect (in which Mars is the more strategic one).

I'm also going to discuss your new suggestions for Hephaestus:
- Talos - this is basically impossible to properly represent in a game of this scale, due to the sheer size of the fully-built Talos automaton created by Hephaestus. Talos would easily destroy huge numbers of regular troops, on a scale larger than any other myth unit already in the game. Talos would also be basically invulnerable to a lot of the handheld weaponry present in the game, I believe. If you'd like an automaton in the game, then there is no problem with that. But there is no way Talos can be done proper service in this game as a regular myth unit. Maybe as an interesting element in an alternate ending, but not in regular warfare.
- Bulls - not too bad, but I see no real weakness to them? Every other myth unit has some sort of weakness. Fliers are vulnerable to at least one weapon type if caught on the defensive, in addition to having high costs. Hydra are powerful but extremely slow. Erinyes are good, but high favour cost (I think they have the highest favour cost for any myth unit, coming in at 330 vs the Hydra which is next at 300), and high population cost. Pegasi and centaurs are good in defence, but weak to certain weapon types and fairly useless in attack. Dogs are good in defence but with a severe weakness and bad attack. Cyclops have high population cost and extremely vulnerable to sharp weapons if you catch them. There are 2 all-rounder units: the minotaur and the medusa. Medusae are population-efficient, but lack the pure power in attack or defence compared to the dedicated units. Minotaurs have greater power, but at a much greater cost in both resources and favour. All myth units have at least one big weakness. So far as I can see, your bulls do not. Good in defence but not weak in attack, not high on pop cost, and not bad on favour cost. About the only thing against them is a lack of flying ability, but there is no sensible way to justify giving them that ability, so no-one would dare (I hope).
- Bronze/Iron - we don't need a 4th resource type. If grepo are going to introduce new aspects to the game, I would like more gods, more myths, a different end-game, or maybe reworking some of the less-popular units to make them worth using and increase the variety seen in competitive gameplay.
- Volcano/Fire - I don't think you listened. Guaranteeing even 1 farm level is broken, let alone 2. You've got a double lightning bolt with at least one guaranteed farm shot, which is a great building to hit. And the time limit is based upon the world speed. In some servers you can only cast an EQ or bolt every 4 hours.
- Axemen - as much as I like new units, I think they should be available to all unless they are a mythical unit. And we don't per se need another non-myth sharp attack land unit, as we already have hoplites and chariots, and if you want something stronger then you use myths or buff them with a hero. It's the same cost as patroness, yet you get a guaranteed type of unit, with a high attack power for only 1 farm space.

The reason I like Notmad's ideas for Hephaestus is that he shows a lot more restraint on it in terms of the power level, while still capturing the right feel. And he is willing to consider changes to an idea if someone is able to spot a way that they can be abused. For example, you persist with that volcano spell despite the fact that it is the nature of the spell that is broken, not the cooldown time or favour cost. I don't like outright discrediting people's ideas, but when they are broken and add very little to the game in the way of tactics/strategy, and the player is unwilling to adapt their ideas to make use of constructive criticism, then I am willing to do so.

DeletedUser54843

Alright Karl, you sure are quick to criticize the ideas on how to possibly improve the game, yet I haven't seen a single post of yours that would add a great new idea on how to make Grepolis better. It's very easy to sit down and find weaknesses in one's work, much harder to be creative and come up with something groundbreaking and original by yourself.

Why haven't I seen a post from you about how you would like to setup additional gods, if grepo was ever to include them? Or are you going to feast on the ideas on others, and then come up with your own list of deities, borrowing from the ideas the others had introduced before, yet polishing them and making them seem as your own?
Your knowledge of the game is deep and you are eloquent and intelligent, however, by denying the fourth resource by claiming it would affect game play too much, you are displaying your close mindedness, lack of vision on how to possibly improve the game and make it even more fun and addictive to play.

Simply put, I question your ability to put forward ideas on how to improve the game, heck, I even question your ability to see the "what might be" in the ideas others put forward. You're a realist, like a conservative judge, one unwilling to listen to those who are trying to make stagnant existence more adventurous and fun by rollerblading in a park, instead fining them, because some people in the park don't like roller blades.

DeletedUser54843

Next Deity I'd like to discuss is DEMETER.

Goddess of Agriculture. She's the good goddess, the sustainer of life. The two mythicals I'd say could be "hers" are: CHIMERA - fire breathing land myth, very strong in offense but quite slow and quite easily defeatable by distance and sharp weapons. The other one, since one of her animal symbols was the serpent, I'd say could be ECHIDNA- a huge half snake-half woman. This land myth would be very tough to kill with strong (blunt) offense. Alternate Mythical: The Nemean Lion.

Demeter's spells I'd say could be some of the following:

GOLDEN HARVEST - the city gains population upon casting it (50 citizens), Max favor cost (500). This spell can only be used up to 4 times per city, and can only be used once every 3 months of uninterrupted grepo play. Meaning, if you've played Grepolis for 3 straight months, logged in everyday for at least 1h a day, without interruptions ( such as taking a vacation), and if you have Demeter as one of your deities (and she has the full 500 favor), you may cast it on one of your cities(unless it had been cast on that city 4 times in the past already). This is the way I see it going with the population boost spells: You play the game for a specific amount of time and you get rewarded with more population. Similar thing would apply to one of APHRODITE's spells, also adding population every so often-if you play the game daily, as demanded.

DROUGHT - this you'd cast on an enemy/neutral city. Favor cost 400. This spell would cause an immediate loss of 50 units of population in the target city. However, like with Golden Harvest, there would be time restrictions on how often you can use this spell.

FLOOD - Favor 500. A very destructive spell, destroys 50 units of population and lowers the upgrade level of a building by HALF. Just like with Golden Harvest, casting this spell would demand daily activity (in game) and limited casting ability( twice on a single city as long as the world existst)

4th spell could deal with Demeter's feeding of the hungry ability. Farms could produce addtional food, boosting production, but only for a limited time, so that after casting this spell you'd have to build up your army asap and use them in combat before the spell dissipates, causing all population additionally created by it to immediately die off.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser54192

Alright Karl, you sure are quick to criticize the ideas on how to possibly improve the game, yet I haven't seen a single post of yours that would add a great new idea on how to make Grepolis better. It's very easy to sit down and find weaknesses in one's work, much harder to be creative and come up with something groundbreaking and original by yourself.

Why haven't I seen a post from you about how you would like to setup additional gods, if grepo was ever to include them? Or are you going to feast on the ideas on others, and then come up with your own list of deities, borrowing from the ideas the others had introduced before, yet polishing them and making them seem as your own?
Your knowledge of the game is deep and you are eloquent and intelligent, however, by denying the fourth resource by claiming it would affect game play too much, you are displaying your close mindedness, lack of vision on how to possibly improve the game and make it even more fun and addictive to play.

Simply put, I question your ability to put forward ideas on how to improve the game, heck, I even question your ability to see the "what might be" in the ideas others put forward. You're a realist, like a conservative judge, one unwilling to listen to those who are trying to make stagnant existence more adventurous and fun by rollerblading in a park, instead fining them, because some people in the park don't like roller blades.

I refer you to this post, earlier on in the thread, where I gave several examples of my own spells that I thought could fit some of the gods. The improved construction speed for Hephaestus, Blinding Light for Apollo, and the Forced Slumber spell which could be good for Morpheus. I also came up with the idea of a siege-based myth unit for Hephaestus, which was again my own idea. If you would like me to come up with more, then I am happy to do so, but please actually read my posts before claiming I've not come up with any ideas, when I clearly posted several near the start of the thread, at least one of which was then incorporated into Notmad's larger spell/myth listing. Given that you appear to have skipped over, or missed, the post, here it is. (Check page 1 of this thread if you don't believe me.)

I'd personally be interested to see Hephaestus in there. I like the idea of speeding up researches. My original idea had been a spell to improve build speed. It would only be a low percentage, otherwise I can see a lot of abuse, but it could be interesting to see it, I think. Unless you are in a specific scenario, I don't tend to see researches as being as much of an issue with completion time, compared to troop/ship construction or build times. But I think you would definitely need a high cost, maybe 400 favour or even more. A siege-based myth, with a weaker attack vs walls than a catapult but a greater actual fighting value, could be quite fun, I feel.

For Apollo, I was thinking that you could do a counter to Artemis' Huntress spell. Something like a 15-20% reduction in attack strength for all ranged units in the incoming attack. Favour cost of maybe 120. I know that makes it cheaper than desire, but it relies on the attack being predominately ranged, and as such you either have to cast wisdom, use previously-gathered intel, or take a wild guess. Maybe 'Blinding Light' for the spell name.

Hecate would be nice, but I see her as one of the ones less likely to be brought in if more gods are added down the line. For a start, she isn't an Olympian, and bringing her in before some of the remaining Olympians doesn't make as much sense. Furthermore, with her emphasis being on magic itself, I feel that any of the spells that sound fun and thematic would be easily abused. Improved favour production in a city doesn't sound too bad, until you put it on a Hecate city, then put it on another Hecate city, and repeat a few times until you can start spamming it onto your other cities. I'm sure someone can think up a clever way to do some thematic spells with minimal opportunity for abuse, but I haven't so far.

Just thought of a fun spell for Morpheus - increases the recruitment times of troops from the barracks. "Forced Slumber", maybe. It would be a nice trick for stalling someone's rebuilding of an OLU nuke. Not sure on the favour cost. Maybe 250-300 depending on duration and the severity of the effect.

(Also, my Forum name and IGN is Kal, not Karl.)

DeletedUser54843

APOLLO

God of Music, Prophecy, Healing and Archery.

In Grepo I see Apollo as an excellent God for defensive cities/players.

Apollo's mythicals could include: APOLLO'S RAVEN - a huge raven, a highly intelligent bird. These ravens would be capable of ATTACKING INCOMING ATTACKS, something no other unit in Grepolis gameplay is able to do to this point. Let's say you've got a city where Apollo is the worshipped deity and you have built a few of Apollo's Ravens in it. You see an incoming attack to this city and you launch Apollo's Ravens against it. The Ravens would reach the aggressor's troops before they land in your city and engage them in combat. However, Apollo's Raven would be of limited strength, a quick moving FLIER MYTH. I'd say 206 attack strength, blunt weapon type, you'd need a bunch of them to counter strong attacks and they could only be launched against incoming attacks to the city they were built in (although not necessarily)
DELPHYNE DRAGON - this monster Apollo defeated, might not be the right choice of Apollo's mythical, but that's why it's only an idea. Other possibility is the PYTHON.

Spells:

LIGHT OF THE SUN - being the Sun God, Apollo would shine the light of the sun upon the incoming attack that'd include Mythical Units. This spell could kill a portion of incoming mythicals (with only the mythical units being affected) or lower the mythical's attack strength by 20% (or it could be 10%). Favor cost 400

BULLS EYE (I called it Deadly Bows in original post) - this spell would greatly enhance the deadly accuracy of ARCHERS. They'd receive 20%(instead of 30%) boost to their defensive strength upon casting the spell. Apollo was the God of Archery, one of his spells should reflect that. Favor cost 400

WALLS OF TROY - Apollo was the protector of mighty Troy. Upon casting this spell the city's walls would double (or triple) in defensive strength against attacking Catapults. Cast this spell when you know one of your cities is about to be attacked with an attack that has catapults in it (or that you strongly suspect cats could be in play). Favor cost 300.

MUSIC FESTIVAL - Apollo, god of music, entertains the city with a masterful music festival. Casting this spell would cause 1 culture level gain, however, the festival would last for 24h and this spell could only be cast twice upon a single city. Very high favor 500 points.

alternate spell - ORACLE OF DEPLHI, as the God of Prophecy, by casting this spell on any city, Apollo would serve as a Spy, and reveal all units and buildings within it. Saves you spending Silver on spies, however, cost 400 favor and can only be used ONCE on any city.

DeletedUser54192

Got a few comments on the Apollo myths/spells. Will have a proper look at Demeter some other time, so no comment on that section at this time.

- Apollo's Raven - interesting concept. Better than the idea of being able to let your normal units attack an incoming attack, for sure. Quick question on them would be whether they can be used to attack normally as well as the 'interception' type attack?

- Delphyne dragon - not really any comments. Would be okay so long as it's not overpowered in terms of stats, and doesn't have any overpowered special rules.

- Bulls Eye - an improvement with the reduction of buff size. Seems an appropriate number for revolt, although possibly quite easy to abuse in the later stages of conquest worlds where you can stack tonnes of DLU into a siege. What duration would the spell have? (I know it partially depends upon world speed, but still).

- Walls of Troy - seems like this is a bit too strong? With a high enough stack of DLU, you could have a wall that basically won't come down, which seems a bit too powerful to me. A shorter-duration version of Trojan defence could work. (Although I would say that it would need to be non-stackable, as a level 27 wall with tower just sounds broken).

- Music Festival - nice idea, but I think a whole culture level is too far. As you get bigger, the number of culture points needed for the next city slot increases. It can be a pain, but it's a foolproof system, so far as I know. Even with the limitation of twice per city, you are now saying that, for each city you get, you can 1000 favour and get 2 more city slots. You could expand without ever fighting, in a much quicker and cheaper way than city festivals. If you mean culture points, then it's a different matter, but I feel it would be better if it was a chance factor, in a similar way to Orpheus, rather than a straight up guaranteed bonus. Not quite sure how it would work with a limitation per city, if the city changes hands? If you use this spell early on, then as you get further into the game, most of the cities you conquer would have had it cast at some point in the past, rendering it almost unusable in the later game stages.

- Oracle of Delphi - same issue that I had with the 'Espionage' spell - you are voiding the use of stacking your cave with silver. They could stack 1 million silver in their cave, and you can still get through with just 400 favour. Also, it seems like there would be an easy counter-tactic - cast this spell on all of your cities, and then the enemy can never use it on you. The 1 time per city still confuses me a bit with regards to whether it carries over when the city changes owner, or say if it becomes a ghost and is then conquered.

DeletedUser54537

and apolos ravens have to seriously be weak and/or expensive

Medium attack, large pop and favour cost
or
Low attack, Medium pop and favour cost

DeletedUser54192

No comment on the fact that I did post ideas early on in this thread? If you want to criticise them, feel free. Never said mine were good either. I just haven't seen quite as many possibilities for abuse (although I admit I may have missed some). :)

DeletedUser54843

Hecate
Goddess of Witchcraft, Magic, Ghosts.

Mythicals: SPHINX: In Greek Mythology the sphinx was a flying monster, with a head of a woman, body (claws and teeth) of a lion, eagle's wings and a serpent's tail. In mythology, as well, the sphinx would ask a riddle, and if one failed to answer, it would kill and devour him. Let's skip the riddle part and assign this myth to Hecate. Sphinx in Grepolis would be a very fast moving and powerful flier myth, less strong than Manticore, however, I'd say 860 attack points, sharp weapon, fast flier, high favor cost.
The other mythicals for this deity could be Lampades, or perhaps the Undead.

Spells:
Crossroads: Cast this spell on an icoming attacking army and it would lose its way, turn back and head home. Favor cost 300
Crossroads (enhanced): Casting this spell would cause the approaching enemy army to lose their way and attack another city, in vicinity of the city the army was originally sent to attack. However, it could never be one of the sender's cities or his/her alliance member's cities. Favor cost 450
Ichor boost: Ichor was the blood/lifeline of the divine creatures. Hecate can boost it by using this spell, thus enhancing the strength of Attacking Mythical Units (only myths would be affected by this spell) giving an additional 10% strength to each myth within an attacking army. This spell would negate (at least partially) the effects of the powerful defensive anti-myth spell of Apollo (Light of the Sun) Favor cost 250
Hecate's fourth spell could be: Wizard- the city this spell is cast on receives a Wizard, a quite powerful land unit which uses his magic staff/wand to attack/defend. Distance weapon. Favor 150.