Passed Decommission Units

Would you like to see this idea implemented?

• Yes

Votes: 54 81.8%
  • No

Votes: 12 18.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser

Proposal
I propose the introduction of a “Decommission” command so that active troops can be assigned to different areas.

Reason
The idea would be a nice enhancement for those players, including myself who have the time to have troops “deconstructed” into free population to be reassigned. Using this method the player would also get a percentage of the original resources spent on equipping the troops.

Details
The decommission command would return 25% of the original value of the unit, whether ground or naval. This would mean that the value returned would not be affected by technology such as "Conscription" or "Mathematics".

To give an example 100 swordsmen would take 9500 wood to produce along with 8500 silver and a construction time of about 700 minutes. If you no longer require the units then this method of decommission would be useful. Swordsmen are not strong enough to attack with and supporting a ghost town and attacking yourself would cause needless casualties.

The decommission command would take 10% of the original time, therefore, 70 minutes to complete and would return 2375 wood, 2125 silver and 100 population. The method would be done on an individual case more than bulk, meaning units are decommissioned one at a time more then all 100 in one go.

Visual Aids
None I’m afraid.

Balance
This shouldn’t really affect other aspects of the game too much. However it would have to be made so that an additional button is added in the barracks. It might also be best for players to not be able to train troops while others are being decommissioned.

Abuse Prevention
No abuse is possible as you get less resources back then what they cost to train. The only abuse would be to use a god power to summon units and then decommission them, but doing this would be less effective than using the spell “wedding” for example.

Summary
The term decommission is used in all armies old and new. It won’t add a fake feeling to the gain and if anything would make the game seem more realistic. We do not send troops off and then kill them with our own troops. If they are unneeded we fire/decommission them and they go work else where.
Of course this is only an idea and many people might hate it, but any ideas or criticism would be good as it would help improve the idea.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

I really like this idea.
My only thought, is that a decommissioning should be like training, as it would take up one of the 7 "slots' usable in the barracks.

DeletedUser

+1, good idea. This will encourage noobs players to 'decommission' their troops instead of killing them for BP so players on average will have lower BP :p

DeletedUser2795

look at the other remove troops ideas and see what you see :p

DeletedUser

It is a good idea and justly structured. I like it and see no flaws in it.

DeletedUser

good idea, what i do when i need some quick farm space is support a city with 30 or so troops then attack that city. Cruel, i know but it gets me 30 farm spaces :)

DeletedUser

I you want to get rid of some of your defensive units, send them to attack me ;)

DeletedUser

I totally agree with this idea. They should have same for ships also. When i make a new city i like to have some bireme for defense but when i decided to change that city to attacking city i have to send that bireme to some other city and attack with LS. In that case i loose bireme plus LS.

Additionally if you conquer someone's city with fireship and transport boat in it you get that fireship and transport boat. If i do not want fireship i have to loose LS for each fireship. At least when you conquer there should be option that if you like you can keep ship or you can decommission if you do not want it.

DeletedUser2795

well, the concept seems okay on this, but I think that you should not receive any resources for decommissioning them, or else very few resources

DeletedUser

yea... infact you might aswell send them to attack someone, get some battle points while freeing up your population

DeletedUser

My opinion on this

No civilisation would deliberately sacrifice or kill their militia because they would like to assign them other duties. Therefor this would be a great improvement over the current method of removing unwanted troops.

I'm thinking it could work simply by clicking on your 'Agora' and selecting the 'Disband Troops' tab. Here you will see an overview similar to your barracks with each troop type listed in the same way except instead of typing in how many units you want to recruit, you are typing in the amount of troops you want to disassemble (delete).
Once you have typed in the amount of troops you want to disassemble you click the 'Disband' button (located at the bottom right of the interface). This will bring up a message asking: 'Are sure you want your men to lay down their arms and live out their lives as civilians? (This operation cannot be undone)' from which you choose either 'Yes' or 'No'.

Although i don't think you should receive any resources for disassembling your units. But that is my personal opinion.

DeletedUser

No civilisation would deliberately sacrifice or kill their militia because they would like to assign them other duties. Therefor this would be a great improvement over the current method of removing unwanted troops.

I'm thinking it could work simply by clicking on your 'Agora' and selecting the 'Disband Troops' tab. Here you will see an overview similar to your barracks with each troop type listed in the same way except instead of typing in how many units you want to recruit, you are typing in the amount of troops you want to disassemble (delete).
Once you have typed in the amount of troops you want to disassemble you click the 'Disband' button (located at the bottom right of the interface). This will bring up a message asking: 'Are sure you want your men to lay down their arms and live out their lives as civilians? (This operation cannot be undone)' from which you choose either 'Yes' or 'No'.

Although i don't think you should receive any resources for disassembling your units. But that is my personal opinion.

1/2 resources sounds good, you probably are going to melt down their swords/spears and put them to another use. Possibly this could become an academy research?

DeletedUser

1/2 resources sounds good, you probably are going to melt down their swords/spears and put them to another use. Possibly this could become an academy research?

metallurgy? increases attack and defence by 5 or 10%?:p

Anyway I like this idea. It might help discourage players from abusing the ability of suiciding there troops for battle points.

DeletedUser

I'm reviving this thread. I would like to see some discussion about this. I'll keep the first post updated with any improvements to the idea.

DeletedUser

One thing...

I think that this should be applicable to naval troops as well as land troops. You won't just destroy boats either.

DeletedUser

Wait a minute! Isn't this basically the exact same thing as my un-train/sell troops idea?

DeletedUser

It's pretty much is the same exact concept, but it was proposed 3 months before yours. I also like this thread better because the process wasn't called un-train/sell troops so it actually makes realistic sense, the text is better explained also with more detail about the process, wasn't cluttered with a separate idea as yours had mercenaries, and your thread had too many negative comments for my liking.

Status
Not open for further replies.