Discussion Divine Evony~What good is it?

DeletedUser27700

Lots of questions over the use of this new seemingly useless unit.
At first glance the stats are underwhelming, but surely there is a use for a unit that costs the low low price of no resources!
15 favor per unit, and a very fast build time just begs the question of finding a use for it. Maybe a quick defense? Extra units to get farms?

Of course, the first and most obvious is being able to get the first few farms quicker, assuming you get Divine Envoy's before horses.

What other uses can you find?

Last edited:

Baudin Toolan

Grepolis Team
I'm not positive about the specifics but since each god has the same divine Envoy maybe it means you can use that unit to support cities with different gods than your own.

DeletedUser27700

Think you mean envoy :)

You are right, maybe a mod can fix that for me?

I'm not positive about the specifics but since each god has the same divine Envoy maybe it means you can use that unit to support cities with different gods than your own.

The problem is that with those stats there is no reason to not keep using the standard swordsmen/archer/hoplite combo. And I can support any city I like with those :p

Some people had hoped that it would be a flier, if that was the case it would be a great unit. Without having to build transports, you could build many more troops instead, balancing out the lower per pop defense.

DeletedUser25074

This is my take on these units.

Not god specific meaning you can send them to any city without having to worry about them bouncing.

To me these guys are basically what chariots are to hops. But in this case they equate to horse.

Chariots arnt as effective at attacking as hops but can do it. Yet they are better at defending.

Devine envoy wont be as effective at attacking as horse and will be able to do it. Yet they will be better at defending. With half the build time and 0 res cost just 15 favor.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser27700

Good point. Another use they may have is as a compliment to militia.
They are cheap and fast, so you could build a bunch if you see someone trying to farm you.

DeletedUser25074

Oh also if u think about it you could stack a city with these and as it has 0 res cost you can send the res from this city out to any other city that needs it :D

DeletedUser

Look at the stats for attacking pure defense swords and Archers its a good attacking unit too I think per the simulator...
Attack a stack of Slingers or Hops with this unit its toast.... Mantis eat them and so do slingers in attack... they do well in defending most other attacks that I can tell so far...Still learning myself

DeletedUser

The value as I see it is in the speed you can build XX amount of balanced defense or blunt attack. The increased cost of pop and favor keeps it from being an overpowered defensive unit. IOW, I would only expect to build them in case of an incoming attack.

You can send them as supporting units knowing you are going to lose them and not be sacrificing resources that could be building ships or walls.

Also, the speed which you can build them means you can be attacking the 6th or 7th village sooner.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser27700

You can send them as supporting units knowing you are going to lose them and not be sacrificing resources that could be building ships or walls.

The problem with this is that relative to swords/archers/hoplites, they are cannon fodder. So you would be feeding BP to your enemies.

But it is better than loosing a city I guess :p

DeletedUser

The basic use of this unit is:

A). to assist in city defence if you don't have specific myths for the God myths you sent to siege the city.

B). to send as support to others in (blunt attack) defence of their city if you don't have correct myths to send to help.

C). (and this is partial!) if you have spare free pop in a city and wish to create units that you can send to any city outside of the regular troops.

DeletedUser

yeah..... just what we need. A specific unit for turtles to build hoards of. :rolleyes:

DeletedUser27700

The basic use of this unit is:

A). to assist in city defence if you don't have specific myths for the God myths you sent to siege the city.

B). to send as support to others in (blunt attack) defence of their city if you don't have correct myths to send to help.

C). (and this is partial!) if you have spare free pop in a city and wish to create units that you can send to any city outside of the regular troops.

I don't know what to say to that

yeah..... just what we need. A specific unit for turtles to build hoards of. :rolleyes:

It's really no good as a strictly defense unit, from what I can tell anyway. I think lots of people will try it, but fail horribly.

DeletedUser

they seem to be terrible in defence and not great in attack, the only benefit i can see is that they cost no resources and so could be used to help gain farm villages faster in small cities...

DeletedUser

I just thought of a great purpose for the Divine Envoy. Unfortunately for most it will only work in the Hero Worlds.
1. Build 80-100 Divine Envoys
2. Research Temple Looting and Divine Selection
3. Attack a city and loot favor. This can give you 400-500 favor
4. Once your favor for that god is filled change to worship a different god. Divine Envoy do not get destroyed when changing gods (so I have heard).
5. Attack to loot favor and fill up for that god.
6. Repeat the process to quickly fill up any favor you may need at the time.

DeletedUser25074

I just thought of a great purpose for the Divine Envoy. Unfortunately for most it will only work in the Hero Worlds.
4. Once your favor for that god is filled change to worship a different god. Divine Envoy do not get destroyed when changing gods (so I have heard).

When u switch gods u lose all your current favor

DeletedUser27700

1. Build 80-100 Divine Envoys
2. Research Temple Looting and Divine Selection
3. Attack a city and loot favor. This can give you 400-500 favor
5. Attack to loot favor and fill up for that god.

Thats a good idea too. You would have to keep many of them though, tying up a city just for favor looting.

DeletedUser21297

Only useful thing about Divine Envoy is same defense value for all weapon types so you don’t have to think much with what to kill them. :)