Passed Idea ~ Oceanic Forts

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser

Should we have Fort levels?

Fort Lvl 1- 50,000 per resources (3% Attack Bonus for Alliance)
Fort Lvl 2-75,000 per resource (5% Attack Bonus)
Fort Lvl 3-125,000 per resource (10% Attack Bonus)

Alliances can build up Forts/conquer them a week after they have been set up by an alliance.

DeletedUser

Sounds pretty cool. I don't know whether there are effects I haven't thought of yet, but I believe that a defense bonus instead of an attack bonus would be better here, since that would avoid speeding up the total domination of one ocean by an alliance and instead create home oceans for alliances.
Through a defensive bonus - especially an increased one with higher fort level - it would be more difficult for enemy alliances to invade the home ocean of an alliance. Maybe it would end up in a great beating of all players who have cities outside of the home ocean and therefore have less defense than the rest of the alliance and therefore stagnate the fighting process.
I guess I haven't played Grepolis long enough to know how it normally works. If the majority of the players likes turtling up a defensive bonus wouldn't be too constructive and one should stick with the original idea.

Varun

Strategos
Yeah, we could have that. But the costing should be a bit more. Let's say the initial costing can be 100k of each resource and it is not a burden considering the amount of resources that have been put up in building wonders. Then the level can rise, say upto 10 and also the fort can be conquered after a week of building it.

The conquering alliance gets to build the fort from that level itself (no restarting) as the fort benefits the entire ocean not just the particular alliance. Maybe the conquering alliance can get some kind of bonus for conquering an oceanic fort. Like 5% faster favour or 5% faster wonder building (for wonder worlds), or something?

DeletedUser

I think Forts should be more easily accessible, and a common feature of Grepolis in the future.

300k resources for a 3% attack bonus is a bit excessive, as it is limited to one Ocean.

Sounds pretty cool. I don't know whether there are effects I haven't thought of yet, but I believe that a defense bonus instead of an attack bonus would be better here, since that would avoid speeding up the total domination of one ocean by an alliance and instead create home oceans for alliances.
Through a defensive bonus - especially an increased one with higher fort level - it would be more difficult for enemy alliances to invade the home ocean of an alliance. Maybe it would end up in a great beating of all players who have cities outside of the home ocean and therefore have less defense than the rest of the alliance and therefore stagnate the fighting process.
I guess I haven't played Grepolis long enough to know how it normally works. If the majority of the players likes turtling up a defensive bonus wouldn't be too constructive and one should stick with the original idea.

Hmm yeah it's a toss up between Offensive and Defensive. I personally prefer Offensive because I believe it would be a greater advantage, although I can see the reason why Defensive would help.

DeletedUser

Forts will require a lot of resources to build, so it is likely the alliance is already dominant in that Ocean, by the time they build the Fort. (We need to find the optimum amount of resources)

However as well all know large alliances meet in an Ocean, and the dominance of that Ocean is undecided. Both alliances are strong enough, and have already dominated several Oceans. Normally that Ocean would just become stagnant, with both sides agreeing on a NAP and preventing war.

However with a Fort in place, it would spice things up. Create an arms race.

The 2 alliances would race to be the one to construct the Fort, and then to hold it. It would drastically increase tension, and make things a lot more interesting.

Please note that Forts are meants as an advanced feature in the game, once the larger alliance have 'purged' all competition from their dominant Oceans.

DeletedUser

By now I'm kinda confused. Was the original idea to implement a bonus for the whole ocean or only the alliance possessing the fort? The first option wouldn't make sense since no one would fight for it...but I just noticed that it leads to another interesting idea I might mention in the next time, once I checked whether it already exists.
However I believe it does not necessarily give an unfair advantage to players and alliances who already advanced further than others. In the same way you could argue, that research only helps the strong players with lots of resources because only these players have the possibility to research new units... I think the ocean fort might even become a distraction - or an additional element - from fights between alliances, since they have to fight and spend resources indirectly by contributing efforts to the ocean fort which will then give them a bonus in fighting their enemies. Every alliance would have to decide individually whether the ocean fort is relevant for their specific situation. For example when in lack of time due to an upcoming war they might not want to contribute resources to the ocean fort since they need them for their army. Or the alliance is just at the boarder of two oceans and not in the middle of one. The possession of one ocean fort would not benefit the whole alliance.
The introduction of this idea could make the game more complex and interesting.

DeletedUser

For the Ocean that the alliance dominates.

All cities that are in that Ocean in the dominating alliance will benefit from the Fort.

My Alliance currently dominates 3 Oceans. If we built 3 Forts and built them to lvl 3, that would give us a 30% offensive bonus. And that would create mass inbalance.

DeletedUser

All cities that are in that Ocean in the dominating alliance will benefit from the Fort.

My Alliance currently dominates 3 Oceans. If we built 3 Forts and built them to lvl 3, that would give us a 30% offensive bonus. And that would create mass inbalance.

I think you would rather get 10% bonus in every ocean. You can't get multiple bonuses since that would require multiple forts. But since only one fort is supposed to be buildable per ocean and one city can't be in more than one ocean you can only get the 10% bonus from your ocean's fort.

DeletedUser

I was just using that as an example if the Forts' bonuses applied to the whole alliance :D

DeletedUser

Was the original idea to implement a bonus for the whole ocean or only the alliance possessing the fort? The first option wouldn't make sense since no one would fight for it...but I just noticed that it leads to another interesting idea I might mention in the next time, once I checked whether it already exists.

As bad as I feel about quoting my own post I have just changed my mind since I have noticed that the idea I had in the very moment I posted the sentences above is closely related to the oceanic fort idea. I was thinking of a general ocean bonus also created by a building in the middle of the ocean. The difference would be, that it wouldn't matter who's holding the fort/building - the bonus would affect everybody in this ocean. There would be a number of different buildings which could provide different bonuses. (e.g. attack bonus, defensive bonus, resource bonus).
One could also say, that the player holding the ocean building has the ability to switch this effect on and off (maybe with a cooldown of several hours) (this could make the ocean building important in ocean internal wars). Since the whole ocean is depending on that bonus everybody should be able to contribute resources in order to expand the ocean building. An immense sum would be needed for the next level. Attacking alliances from other oceans could now try to capture the ocean building in order to switch off the bonus.
Since the bonus would affect the whole ocean one could even decide to increase the bonus given by the building.

Cons:
It could potentially be abused by people who pretend to protect the ocean building while actually waiting for an opportunity to switch off the bonus so that their allies from outside can strike.
I'm not quite sure but maybe this would be a change which is too massive. It could interfere with the ideas the developers of this game had. In that case one should think about the size of the bonus.

Summary: It's pretty much the same as the ocean fort but with more types of forts, an ocean wide effect and the ability to switch it off.

I'd appreciate feedback especially when it's showing me which parts I haven't thought through.

DeletedUser

I was just using that as an example if the Forts' bonuses applied to the whole alliance :D

I see, but in that case only possessing one fort would result in a 3,3% bonus and owning three would actually give you 10%. ^^

Varun

Strategos
Well, your idea is nice but switching on and off would result in a lot of coding since the devs have to code a new script already compatible with the 2.22 version that is to be implemented. Therefore, it can be as I have said in my previous post that everyone will get the bonus. Only one will get less than the other. It would save especially a lot of time in coding and also this means less server downtimes. If you want more bonus, then conquer that fort. Simple coding. Same as we use for conquest of other cities but only to a higher level.

DeletedUser

My Idea

Once alliance has 50+% of cities in an ocean then they have the option of building a fort it will be placed on an island with farming villages. All the cities on the island must be occupied to build the fortress you can't build a wonder on the island. Each alliance can only have 1 fort and there can only be 1 fort in each ocean. It will serve as the alliance headquarters. It is a large city and it will have the same buildings as any other city the expansion will work like wonders and each player can click on the fort and choose a building and send resources. It will need 10 times the amount of resources that a normal building would when all the resources are at the fortress it will automatically be upgraded. When it is finished it gives the alliance 100,000 points. The bonuses- 5% more resource and favor production, and a 5% bonus to all the alliances cities defense in the ocean

DeletedUser

Well, your idea is nice but switching on and off would result in a lot of coding since the devs have to code a new script already compatible with the 2.22 version that is to be implemented. Therefore, it can be as I have said in my previous post that everyone will get the bonus. Only one will get less than the other. It would save especially a lot of time in coding and also this means less server downtimes. If you want more bonus, then conquer that fort. Simple coding. Same as we use for conquest of other cities but only to a higher level.

Wait, so would prefer for everyone to have the bonus? But that's a pretty good idea.

1 lvl 3 Fort will give you 7.5% Attack Bonus
2 lvl 3 Forts will give you 10% Attack Bonus + 5% Resource Prod.
3 lvl 3 Forts will give you 12.5% Attack Bonus +5% Resource Bonus + 5% Favour Bonus
4 lvl 3 Forts will give you 15% Attack Bonus + 5% Resource Bonus + 5% Favour Bonus + 5% Defense Bonus.

However if the devs can code it, I personally would prefer Forts to give local bonuses.

My Idea

Once alliance has 50+% of cities in an ocean then they have the option of building a fort it will be placed on an island with farming villages. All the cities on the island must be occupied to build the fortress you can't build a wonder on the island. Each alliance can only have 1 fort and there can only be 1 fort in each ocean. It will serve as the alliance headquarters. It is a large city and it will have the same buildings as any other city the expansion will work like wonders and each player can click on the fort and choose a building and send resources. It will need 10 times the amount of resources that a normal building would when all the resources are at the fortress it will automatically be upgraded. When it is finished it gives the alliance 100,000 points. The bonuses- 5% more resource and favor production, and a 5% bonus to all the alliances cities defense in the ocean

That is an interesting idea.

So the Fort would pretty much be an advanced city that an alliance could have?

DeletedUser

Yeah the occupy as cities thing is a bit drastic in my opinion.

Varun

Strategos
Good idea but occupying all the ciies would be too steep. Besides balancing both wonders and forts.

*My post was before wavebreaker's but I deleted it accidentally LOL :D*

Varun

Strategos
Then Why not make a central island with no option other than building fort. All players of that ocean contribute towards building it. Then a weeks cooldown after building. Then a randomly generated condition to conquer the fort. First alliance to do so wins the fort. Fort benefits all the players regardless of the alliance. Then comes lordmyron's idea of expansion of the fort. It will have buildings like temples, barracks and harbours.

Hey, the bold idea is great!!! I never thought of it!!! It could support the hero island cuz the hero can live in the fort. See that idea in the ideas section and my post too!! Contributors will understand!!!

DeletedUser

I think we should not overcomplicate it

The current idea:
-Central Forts on its own on an island
-Fort can be constructed with resources
-Fort can be conquered by other alliances
-Forts give benefits to that alliance in a particular Ocean

However if a lot of people like that idea, I shall modify the idea to suit that idea more.

Varun

Strategos
I think we should not overcomplicate it

The current idea:
-Central Forts on its own on an island
-Fort can be constructed with resources
-Fort can be conquered by other alliances
-Forts give benefits to that alliance in a particular Ocean

However if a lot of people like that idea, I shall modify the idea to suit that idea more.

Some additions following the hero idea...

-Include temples,barracks and harbours
-Worship a god
-Build only myth units
-invoke corresponding hero (+ bonus)

Status
Not open for further replies.