Passed Naming of Islands/Island Groups

Would you like to see this idea implemented?

• Yes

Votes: 26 66.7%
  • No

Votes: 13 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser

To Forum Mods: There is another subject on the first page about this same topic. However, the OP is no longer active, and the thread has not beep properly formatted for months. So I decided to go ahead and make my own idea.:)

Proposal

My idea is to allow you to name groups of islands however you want.

Reason

To facilitate easier administration for alliances. You can't just have a leader for each ocean, or that would be too broad. This will make it easier to administer alliances by naming the islands themselves. In addition, this would let you make BB-Code links to islands/island groups.

Details

If an alliance has a presence in a sector(that is, a quarter of an ocean [50-by-50 coordinates]) a text box will appear in the Alliance section, through which the sector can be named. Once the sector has been named, it will appear in a new pane in the Alliance section and can be grouped with other sectors in much the same way that cities can be grouped

After this, the founder will appoint a leader for each sector. This person will have Leader rights within the alliance, and will supervise the functioning of each sector. That leader will also be in charge of appointing Recruiters for the sector, as well as giving the other rights to the members of the alliance that fall within the sector. Diplomacy, Forum Moderators, and Access to Hidden Forums will be managed centrally and not through the island group.

Should a person have cities that fall within two sectors, the person has a choice over which sector to be in for the purpose of which areas sector leaders lead.

Visual Aids

Work in Progress.

Balance

This would encourage alliances to choose better leaders, thus increasing the essence of teamwork. Alliances would make administrative divisions carefully, based on the number of islands and the abilities of each leader.

Abuse Prevention

To prevent inappropriate naming of alliance divisions, each name is visible only to one alliance and there should be a filter on inappropriate language. Different alliances thus might have different names for the same sector.

Summary

This is a good idea, but implementation can become tricky if not done properly. Administration should be easy and straightforward for the alliance.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

But with a filter on inappropriate language it shouldn't be too bad

DeletedUser

the first person on the island would name it the <insert name of first player on island here> island

DeletedUser

But not exactly inappropriate, it just means that it's his island and he rules the island =D

DeletedUser

why would you get all the cities on your island just to name it.....................

DeletedUser

How about the first city on the island gets the option to name it (if he chooses not to claim the naming rights, the next city created will be offered it, etc).

Once the naming rights are claimed... if another city on the island wants to rename it later, they have to successfully attack the city that currently owns the naming rights.

A successful attack means the naming rights go to the winner as part of the spoils of war....

The naming rights can ONLY go to a player with a city on the island.

The same naming conventions for cities will be applied to island names... breaking the rules gets a player booted... or at least the right to naming the island is denied from then on.

DeletedUser

I think that it should be alliance-based, not player-based. And the name should be different for each alliance. That will make it a lot easier to administer islands. Players can't give names for islands.

DeletedUser2795

wait, this is nothing like the original idea, the original idea was suggesting that, somehow, islands get names that are displayed to everyone in grepolis and the names had absolutely no direct effect on alliances or players!

DeletedUser

wait, this is nothing like the original idea, the original idea was suggesting that, somehow, islands get names that are displayed to everyone in grepolis and the names had absolutely no direct effect on alliances or players!

But this is different. I wanted to build on the original idea, to make it better.

DeletedUser2795

no, you made it wors,e I only supported the original idea because it did not change the game significantly

DeletedUser

I will change it, and will make it more like the original idea. And why does everyone want the first person to land on the island to claim naming rights? It will be better with alliance-named island groups.

DeletedUser2795

I never said that I wanted it to be named after the first person, read all of the original thread.

DeletedUser

I like the idea and I was already thinking about that, however my suggestion would be that the name is private and only visible to the individual player. Thus the issue about rude words and the problem who has the right to name an island does not exist. It would help orientation on the map and the map would look better.

I even would like to be able to add a comment line to each city that is only visible to me in the pop-up, when the cursor moves over a city.

DeletedUser2795

basically, more map lag, great :rolleyes: but what happens when an alliance tries to coordinate with itself, let alone another alliance?

DeletedUser

basically, more map lag, great :rolleyes: but what happens when an alliance tries to coordinate with itself, let alone another alliance?

For that reason, the name should be visible to the whole alliance, not just the individual player.

DeletedUser

I don't like the idea could cxause lag and as I stated before could be abused very easily

Status
Not open for further replies.