New Beta Sub-forum idea...Off-Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser13405

Maybe Samp is right (although maybe not expressed the right way) and we need an off-topic section for Beta? Personally, I don't play any other worlds nor do I care to, but it would be good to get to know Beta people better without sifting through reams of stuff from people who play other worlds in the general off-topic.

Thoughts?

DeletedUser

I was just about to start up a topic regarding this. People are finding Beta-section increasingly boring because not many people start topics. However the blame seems to be put on me a lot of the time when I am simply doing my job, and I've been a lot more lenient with you all over the past months as to what let slip.

I did start a topic like this a while ago but no-one had any suggestions. Now that this has cropped up maybe it is an opportunity for Beta posters to have a subsection (Which you all deserve - in my opinion).

I like the idea of a "Beta Opinionated Topics" idea, where people from Beta can post their real-life and other off-topic concepts, but I will have to run this by Gordon and the other mods as it is a hard subsection idea to really pass-through. The whole point of the "Off-Topic" section of the Grepolis forum is so that people don't get a post count and can pretty much post freely about their opinions. Having this in Beta would mean people could do that but gain post-count.

I will try my best to get this through but no guarantees. Just know that I do my best to make this Beta forum a great place for everyone to post. It is not my fault if exciting threads are not popping up all over the place for you guys to post in, and I do not intentionally ruin your threads by locking them. There is always a reason behind it and in Samp's case it was Off-topic.

Let me know your ideas.

~D

DeletedUser

Haha. I agree. But how do you justify an "off forum" when we have so little posts on this forum. So if we have an off-topic will it get more discussion than this forum? Why is it necessary? Read how many replies we have and how often. But no....a music thread...expressed as a "music thread" for Beta was not...not in the right way. Why would you sub-forum a forum that gets no posts on a regular basis"? Are we awaiting some amazing time when Beta Forum will get a lot of responses? This sounds exciting. Until then, stifle.

Edit:
Devil's: Just read and thanks for the reply. It's nice to know where you are coming from. But what is the consequence of not culling those posts? If you own the forum...who complains except us? But anyways, its nice to know you are active on it. So, what's your favorite song?

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

We would start a sub-section to get more Beta-posters active in the first place, or that's the idea.
Once again, there's not much I can honestly do about the activity of Beta section, that is down to the posters, not I. The solution is not, however, starting topics that will simply get locked and create more spam.
One simple idea is encouraging players in your alliance to join the forum. It is how I started to post here in the first place. Or, you could start a PnP regarding a recent in-game event.
I can only give ideas, not control the post count, sorry.

My favourite song: A Minute Longer - Stereophonics. (Do NOT turn this into a music discussion!)

DeletedUser13405

Does post count really matter for anything in the whole grand scheme of things? I'd hope counting posts is not the reason why we could not have a bit of off-topic beta discussion.

My alliance has a tab called the Ape Room...discussions about anything and everything, but nothing grepo related. We've covered music, books, NHL/NBA playoffs, Osama Bin Laden and websites that make you laugh in the last couple of weeks. Good discussions too. I'd suggest something like that for Beta world as a whole.

Lugosi

Strategos
Me no blamey teh Devils. We could get more people posting here by encouraging them to do so because at the moment as far as I know there is no real encouragement for players to join the external forums apart from the attraction of pressing an unknown button with forum on. I encourage people to join here when I can.

DeletedUser

My alliance has a tab called the Ape Room...discussions about anything and everything, but nothing grepo related. We've covered music, books, NHL/NBA playoffs, Osama Bin Laden and websites that make you laugh in the last couple of weeks. Good discussions too. I'd suggest something like that for Beta world as a whole.

I would love this to be on Beta, but as I stated before, it is unlikely to happen due to the fatal flaw that it would simply be a repeat of the "Off-Topic" section for the forums with a Beta stamp on it.
I'd like to start a subsection but with Generic topics that I create myself, and you guys can suggest new ones. E.g. "Beta Music", "Beta News", "Beta Sport".
Again, there's huge issues with this, and until we get more posters actively wanting that kind of content I won't be banging on the mods doors asking for it.

DeletedUser

I messaged you. You know my opinion. But at this point you are saying we need something we don't need. I first read through the Beta forums in about an hour span. It's pretty short. There is nothing here? Ban people for racist slurs and swear words. Otherwise, why would you interdict?

Wait...wait.

I just listened to that song Devils... No joke that's hot. I love "A Minute Longer". Now you're just mired in with us. Well, I found a new song I love apparently by breaking the rules. Devils! Let us share music. Pretty sure your musical tastes are hot. This song is raspy but I love it. A nice end to a drinking night. Hope you don't shove me off friend. This game makes me smile in too many ways. I'm going to play it after 'Plastic California' takes me to sleep. Love you Devils!

DeletedUser

His names not even JTin46 on the worlds he plays, so get your facts right.

DeletedUser

Eh, son. I knew he still played. The point was he ruins the characters with his name enough that he can't play them. I'm sorry what was your point? If you want to tell me which character Jtin plays I should care about...let me know...otherwise go back to what you do. You see my name kid? Yep, the only one I have to play.

DeletedUser

I love it. Negative feedback that doesn't even have a player attached to it. This forum cracks me up. I feel so violated....if I cared. My current song is: The National - Bloodbuzz Ohio. So what are you listening to? But keep it on the down low.

Here is my anonymous downgrade. Pretty awesome that this kid has clout on this world.
"N/A 24.05.11 17:33 Don't be mean to JTin."

DeletedUser345

I love it. Negative feedback that doesn't even have a player attached to it. This forum cracks me up. I feel so violated....if I cared. My current song is: The National - Bloodbuzz Ohio. So what are you listening to? But keep it on the down low.

Here is my anonymous downgrade. Pretty awesome that this kid has clout on this world.
"N/A 24.05.11 17:33 Don't be mean to JTin."

I signed my de-rep :)

You really need to think before you post, it will help you improve.

DeletedUser

I signed my de-rep :)

You really need to think before you post, it will help you improve.

Yeah, I feel bad providing fodder for these forums as opposed to 6 has-beens sitting around talking about how last February they were on top of their game. So how's your alliance doing? Hey..I got one for you. Oh its fresh from last night:

I salute you my dear enemy and come to discuss a deal. Next to your town Delta, is a gray banner town. IF I can reach that town with a CS, I am willing to build that town to the max. I will station 100 swords, and 10 lt. ships only. And I will then give you that town for 4498electricglide near my town of Corinth. You will get a town that is less in danger of being attacked. You will get a town built to your specs.

Now you know when you go in to take it, you will get it at some point that the game will let you have. You will as so get the battle points taking the town. You on the other hand can take all the troops and ships out of elect. and send them else where in an attack that will allow you to use them in a way you see fit and not care if they die or not.

The thing is you don't use those troops against me, kalmkitty, or Kwun. After they are gone I will move in and take the town saying to the person you attacked that I am attacking elect. and you look good, I look good. You get a town safer you don't have to rebuild much, neither do I and we both make out like bandits.

What do you think?

Portis

It's too easy at this point. Let me know if you want to know my response to your terribads. Also, let us know if you can do anything but post on externals. Our cities our waiting. But if you're confused check your alliance on Grepostats.

DeletedUser

Ok it's conversation, but at least make it slightly relevant to the subsection rather than flaming 24/7 ;)

Lugosi

Strategos
Yeah, I feel bad providing fodder for these forums as opposed to 6 has-beens sitting around talking about how last February they were on top of their game. So how's your alliance doing? Hey..I got one for you. Oh its fresh from last night:

It's too easy at this point. Let me know if you want to know my response to your terribads. Also, let us know if you can do anything but post on externals. Our cities our waiting. But if you're confused check your alliance on Grepostats.

Your forgetting "kid" :p who's that alliance which is still on top? oh yeah Pheno and we've achieved that imo with relatively no leadership. That is one single view and as my history senses tell me single sources are unreliable. Although I do agree some of the decisions made by Pheno leadership over the war period like the merge of EC are in some ways wrong and I'm sure -achilles and wayne will agree with me on that one. Again it is narrow minded to use such things like this as both alliances have members who make inconsiderate mistakes such as the above. I could give an example of some of the mistakes PoC have made but there's no point as it would take a load of screenshotting and I don't have to explain myself to you Samp ;).

Moving back on topic . . (see what I did there)

. . . maybe we should look to other world sub-forums for ideas for our own. I seem to remember epsilon has the Partheon or something.

DeletedUser

The Parthenon is for discussing diplomacy, alliance opinions, world changes etc.
It was made mainly because I kept making PnP's that caused major debate over diplomacy. lol

Lugosi

Strategos
The Parthenon is for discussing diplomacy, alliance opinions, world changes etc.
It was made mainly because I kept making PnP's that caused major debate over diplomacy. lol

That could work well here if we had more enthusiasm but it could cause some sort of multiply aimed flame war with many secondary spilling over effects.

DeletedUser

Can we get a sub forum for beta, the theme is "Pheno vs DH flame wars"?:)Also, why did alpha and zeta get sub forums?

DeletedUser

yeah its unfair
also devils
i know how we can get it
just say you need a place to keep all my lol's
lol
lol
lol
lol
lol
lol
lol

DeletedUser

What is wrong with debate as long as it isn't offensive? Am I missing the point of these forums?

Edit: Oh crap, I just wanted to say before I go to bed. I really like Sterophonics - A Minute Longer. Thanks to Devils for stopping a music thread to get me on that tip. If I was smarter I would connect that to my original point. But since I can't I'll just thank you. =) Love you guys. Hope you're all still here a month from now. I know some of you will be unless you flunk some more accounts.

Status
Not open for further replies.