Petition to Ban Attack Alarm

DeletedUser

Fun fact 3: Grepolis has a couple of national servers other than us.
Fun fact 4: If there is a national server, it means quite a lot of players play there.
Fun fact 5: A couple thousand players do not belong to countries having a national server.
fun fact 6: Minors form a huge part of grepo community.

Hahaha, i knew that was coming.

I used USA because i can only find data for that. As for other servers, most of them are actually developed countries, so it's unlikely that the percentage of smart phone users can defer alot. Some might be more, some less

And although i do not have any stats to back this up, so it's purely from observation, the possibility of minors aged 12 to 20 with smartphones, is much much higher than the possibility of adults aged from 21 all the way to the oldest human on planet having a smart phone.

You guys keep talking about taking away the alarm because it is unfair, so how is making it gold-exclusive fair? The advantage gold players have over non-gold players is already huge, and it's getting wider with all these cauldron and christmas thingy. So why do you want to make it gold-exclusive and thus making it more unfair?

You guys say that not all people can afford a smart phone, so the issue here is money. Yet you want to make people pay for it.
You guys say that it's about being fair, yet you want to make it exclusive to those willing to spend, and thus less people will have it, and thus, more unfair.

From what i gather, you guys just want it gone so you can go around pwning players who aren't willing to pay for the alarm.

I'm not saying you hassan, I can't be bothered to check who said what, but these are being said.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Exactly where are you pulling these statistics from? I really would like to see where you believe the global market share for mobile phones is 90% dominated by Android and iOS. Without a source, I really think you are just making it up.

Again...source please? Thanks.

Why are you so lazy?

You just need to google the key words and they give you multiple sources.

I will just pick 2 for you. This two may not be reliable because I'm also lazy to find the link to a reliable website. So if you want a reliable source, go google it yourself.
http://techcrunch.com/2013/08/07/android-nears-80-market-share-in-global-smartphone-shipments-as-ios-and-blackberry-share-slides-per-idc/
http://pewinternet.org/Reports/2013/Smartphone-Ownership-2013/Findings.aspx

You're welcome.

DeletedUser13405

There are multiple issues here and without reliable statistics your arguments hold no water.

Issue #1: The alarm is only available to users with a certain type of device. This excludes a portion of the player-base as, by defintition, the entire player-base does not only use Android/iOS.

Why should Inno disadvantage a portion of the player-base simply because they are using a different mobile telephone?

Issue #2: On Gen 1 worlds, rigging up an attack alarm was specifically prohibited by game rules. And now, Inno comes out with it own alarm? Really?

Why are you so lazy?

You just need to google the key words and they give you multiple sources.

I will just pick 2 for you. This two may not be reliable because I'm also lazy to find the link to a reliable website. So if you want a reliable source, go google it yourself.
http://techcrunch.com/2013/08/07/android-nears-80-market-share-in-global-smartphone-shipments-as-ios-and-blackberry-share-slides-per-idc/
http://pewinternet.org/Reports/2013/Smartphone-Ownership-2013/Findings.aspx

You're welcome.

Lazy huh? I'll leave the personal attack aside for now.

Your first link references the global SMARTPHONE market. The assumption you are making is that all Grepo users have SMARTPHONES, rather than mobile telephones. I am not willing to make that assumption. Reading comprehension please.

Read another way, your second link says that 44% of US users do not own a smartphone, forget about whether they use Android or iOS. So, at least 44% of US users are automatically disadvantaged by the fact that they cannot use the attack alarm. That number is higher as we further break down the 56% that do own a smartphone into Android/iOS users and all other types of smartphones. I just don't think thats the right way to design a game...automatically disadvantaging a large % of potential players.

DeletedUser

There are multiple issues here and without reliable statistics your arguments hold no water.

Issue #1: The alarm is only available to users with a certain type of device. This excludes a portion of the player-base as, by defintition, the entire player-base does not only use Android/iOS.

Why should Inno disadvantage a portion of the player-base simply because they are using a different mobile telephone?

Now you have the sources you want. Google it if you are going to say they are not reliable.

The world is never fair. You might as well say why make it exclude certain players by making gold available? Or why make gold available because some are going to buy more than others?

Issue #2: On Gen 1 worlds, rigging up an attack alarm was specifically prohibited by game rules. And now, Inno comes out with it own alarm? Really?

You need to stop living in the past.

This is just like saying, "why legalized gay marriage now when it was banned in the past?"

DeletedUser13405

The global market for mobile telephones dwarfs that of the global market for smartphones.

http://www.businessinsider.com/bii-report-how-price-sensitive-global-consumers-will-shape-the-next-smartphone-growth-wave-2013-3

EDIT: And any discussion of comparing gold use to the attack alarm is off-topic. They are two different things. Purchasing gold, while perhaps not entirely fair, is a choice every player makes when they sign up for the game. Changing around your personal mobile device to accommodate a game is an entirely different matter.

DeletedUser

A huge majority of grepo players are actually those from more well-off countries, and global market sales takes third-world countries into account, which sales of other mobile phones other than smartphones is much higher. Now look around, how many of the people you know are actually in third world countries?

And because of this, i feel that global market share is pretty irrelevant.

EDIT: I totally agree with you about the part about gold, which is why I'm saying you shouldn't make gold-exclusive, as suggested by Kadjayuni.

DeletedUser13405

Grepo is a global game, ergo the global market is the appropriate one to use. I have played with dozens of players form 3rd world countries.

DeletedUser

Are they the majority or are they the minority? Have you actually checked how many active players in your alliance that doesn't own a smartphone?

Don't answer me, but if you check for yourselves, i really hope you understand the point i'm trying to drive.

DeletedUser13405

Understand the point?

If only a small minority of the player-base is disadvantaged by their respective personal choice of mobile communication device by the game, then the game ought to be changed to achieve a level playing field for the entire player-base. It should not matter what personal mobile communication device you choose to own.

Thats the point.

EDIT: And we know from your link that it is not a tiny minority, it is likely far greater.

DeletedUser

If your point is to achieve a level playing field for the entire player-base, then you cannot not talk about gold from this conversation, since gold imbalance the playing field much greater than this app. Stop contradicting yourself.

Well, I'm out of this argument, see you in Cythera.

DeletedUser13405

Choosing to spend gold on a game and choosing your personal mobile communication device are two entirely different things. There is no contradiction.

DeletedUser37948

being able to afford gold is an aid having a smart phone is an aid having lots of free time is an aid I feel the ap brings balance to the game

its hard to argue that any particular thing that gives advantage is worse than another unless it is totally disproportionate and lets face it the ap is just an alarm that stops you catching players unaware possibly!

Now if it stoped you catching players offline actualy and activated milita automatically then that would be bad , strikes me you are proberbly patitioning about the wrong thing entirely and without even realising

DeletedUser39031

It's too easy to turtle-up and defend nowadays. That's not including if it's a morale world. You once had to move your ALU at night, find a safe place for them or attack someone, Now you just get woken up by an alarm and move them 5 minutes away from the attack landing and recall afterwards.
I think the only skill left in this game is timing, apart from that everyone's the same player.

DeletedUser13405

being able to afford gold is an aid having a smart phone is an aid having lots of free time is an aid I feel the ap brings balance to the game

I might agree with you (that it brings balance) if it was available for more than 2 types of phone.

You can use 1980s technology to send a text message to a non-smartphone when under attack. Why is that not available?

What about other smartphone systems, for example Blackberry? An app should be made for that as well.

The real point is to give to all or to none, but not to some.

DeletedUser37948

personaly I think your mistaking balance for inclusivity

I have an I phone I brought it so I could play grepo. I was unable to work for over 14 months and became addicted to grepo when I was able to work again I had to quit playing due to the fact I work 12/14 hrs a day with no internet access. once back at work I saved my money to be able to buy a phone so I could play competativly.
time is a free commodity yet time playing grepo gives the greatest boons far more than gold or apps.

the real point is from the moment your born life is unfare im nither a son of a milionare nor an Olympic athleate if life does not see fit to treat us all the same why should grepo when this game so emulates RL

DeletedUser

So make the old alarm system for PC's that some people in first gen used illegally publically available. Then all anyone will ever hit is militia until a CS comes.

DeletedUser13405

I agree with your general premise.

However when the game developers can program the feature, should you not petition the programmers to make the feature available to all users, no matter what phone they use? I think that would balance the game. As it is, if you do not use Android or iOS, you play at a disadvantage.

And maybe you will purchase a phone specifically for Grepo (u go btw...I want to play with such a dedicated player lol!) but the majority of players will not dedicate a phone purchase solely for a game. And there may be lots of reasons why a player may choose one phone over another. Affordability being only one reason.

DeletedUser

I don't use a cell phone to play Grepo, therefore I don't have an alarm when someone attacks me and i can conveniently log on and see whats up. I say that is an advantage.

If this "feeture" is too stay, then perhaps code in an e-mail attack notification.

Something like:

Grepo@grepolis.com Warning, city URBANIA is under attack. Dec 35th

Other options:
- Automatically send all available DLUs from your other city to the city under attack - 100gold
- Gepolis CEO will personally log into your account and defend your city himself - 1,000 gold

DeletedUser23986

The alarm feature needs to go, as it gives an automatic warning(even to banned players). Those that say, that it allows you to compete with others, do you need an automatic notification system to compete, maybe even an automated bot. One can still log into the game to check if he is under attack. Why should you be notified instantly? Last i checked, mobile version of game allowed you to see if an attack is incomming.