Inactive Topic World Map- Ancient Greece

DeletedUser14535

i love this idea.why limit it to greece?Add other countries on the mediterranean like carthage,egypt etc.

DeletedUser

i love this idea.why limit it to greece?Add other countries on the mediterranean like carthage,egypt etc.

This was mentioned earlier also, re: Italy and Sardinia. I think it would have to be a judgment call by the developers depending on how big the map ends up compared to the relative size of current maps.

Rims could absolutely move into broader areas of the Aegean and northern part of the Mediterranean however, which would maintain ongoing evolution of gameplay as the servers age.

DeletedUser14437

This idea is great, as long as it is not on every world

DeletedUser2795

yes, only on new worlds. And in my opinion there should not be entire continents, just big islands. And you would not need to name them after countries.

DeletedUser345

You are saying that world wonders are only in certain sites and many of those you mentioned are in the south east of the 'world' so what about all the northern alliances? What happens to premades? Are you proposing overland conquerers for how will the land-locked player conquer cities.

To me its a no which is a shame as i am a classicist but its too much of a change and doesnt beenfit us but just overcomplicates things...

DeletedUser

Not necessarily these 6, I just picked them because they were major parts of Ancient Greek history and are fairly spread out from each other.

Wonder function could be worked out later, and I really don't want to turn this into an argument about WW's. The idea here is to change the map.

I've listed numerous benefits and arguments as to how this does not "overcomplicate things" but instead adds depth if players so choose to take advantage of it, by using a fairly simple, essentially aesthetic change.

It doesn't necessitate you change your personal strategy if you don't want to.

DeletedUser345

But how to land locked players conquer enemy cities? Do they have colony camels? What benefit do they get?

DeletedUser

Oh ok, I understand your question now. You mean because conquering is currently done through Colony Ships.

I think an easy fix there is duplicate the Colony Ship unit, change it to "Colony Wagon" and give it the same travel properties as land units so it can't go on water. All cities would have both available, but the Wagon won't work overseas and the Ship won't work overland.

Good catch though Achilles. Thanks!

DeletedUser2795

Wonder function could be worked out later, and I really don't want to turn this into an argument about WW's. The idea here is to change the map.

I've listed numerous benefits and arguments as to how this does not "overcomplicate things" but instead adds depth if players so choose to take advantage of it, by using a fairly simple, essentially aesthetic change.

It doesn't necessitate you change your personal strategy if you don't want to.

About WWs: They should not change any beyond small tweaks in the current set up (ie, only but them on "large" islands)

But this will by no means be an only aesthetic change. It will definitely change game play, which is why I do not want continents or something that follows RL.

DeletedUser

If anyone who's following this thread knows a coder or someone familiar with development, could you see if they would be willing to weigh in on the workload and complexity? I feel like that's something I've been assuming would not be the biggest obstacle to implementation, however it's very possible it is indeed the reason the idea wouldn't be feasible.

Additionally, it was unclear in my original proposal but by saying this could be every 3rd world or so, and as JKP3nt pointed out, this idea is aimed at Grepolis 3.0 (or later).

DeletedUser345

You do understand that nobody could really 'hold' the pass of Thermopylae or whatever because there would be 100 cities in it alone...

DeletedUser

You do understand that nobody could really 'hold' the pass of Thermopylae or whatever because there would be 100 cities in it alone...

Would depend on the scale of the map, but yes, most likely you couldn't "hold" large areas. What you could do, however, is establish a strong presence there to stymie other alliances' expansion southward/northward, just as alliances now try to develop "pockets" of strong island groups in the current map.

Does that make sense? It's mostly an offensive strategy, as once you established a presence there the idea would be to attack from that position which is closer to the enemy than, say, an island group in the sea.

DeletedUser15946

I think this is great idea :) Some details must be discussed, of course, but why not? If it isn't hard to make, this will be great change.

DeletedUser

Love this idea, I hope it is implemented.

Also an idea: You should add Italy to this map, and Sicily and Sardinia as well. The Greeks colonized there, too.

They colonized all over the Mediterranean. Even in the Black Sea! But that is probably taking the idea too big and too far.

DeletedUser

I had meant to address the suggestions of possibly expanding to Italy and other colonies of Greece earlier, but the idea seemed to lose some steam and I figured it was buried for good.

I agree with imoddedu. I mean, Alexander conquered the entire Persian Empire during his brief time. Depending on the period, this could be a very small or a very large expanse of land and sea.

However, as you said, it should probably be kept as simple as possible while staying with the spirit of the idea.

I think the current mood and theme of Grepolis seem to best reflect the Classical Period of Greece, from the beginning of the 5th Century BCE to mid/late 4th Century BCE. This period included many of the iconic events most people are familiar with, and which we often see depicted in popular culture. For example, the Peloponnesian War(s), the rise and fall of Sparta, Theban attempts at hegemony, and perhaps the most Grepolis-esque- the dissolution of Greek confederacy into a proliferation of civil war and conflict.

Sorry for all the detail to those who don't care- I tend to wax loquacious this late at night. I think my point is, a map reflective of the Classical Greek period would be the appropriate fit. I've attached a sample.

DeletedUser

I had meant to address the suggestions of possibly expanding to Italy and other colonies of Greece earlier, but the idea seemed to lose some steam and I figured it was buried for good.

I agree with imoddedu. I mean, Alexander conquered the entire Persian Empire during his brief time. Depending on the period, this could be a very small or a very large expanse of land and sea.

However, as you said, it should probably be kept as simple as possible while staying with the spirit of the idea.

I think the current mood and theme of Grepolis seem to best reflect the Classical Period of Greece, from the beginning of the 5th Century BCE to mid/late 4th Century BCE. This period included many of the iconic events most people are familiar with, and which we often see depicted in popular culture. For example, the Peloponnesian War(s), the rise and fall of Sparta, Theban attempts at hegemony, and perhaps the most Grepolis-esque- the dissolution of Greek confederacy into a proliferation of civil war and conflict.

Sorry for all the detail to those who don't care- I tend to wax loquacious this late at night. I think my point is, a map reflective of the Classical Greek period would be the appropriate fit. I've attached a sample.

A map like the one you posted would probably be more suitable, the vast expanse of the Hellenic realm just wouldn't fit for Grepolis. The picture you posted were the primary Greek areas during the Ancient, and even into the modern times, pretty small and simple.

DeletedUser3393

Why don't we just forget about the map of greece and make a grepolis map. (We have many talented artists here, I am sure few can come up with good ones)

This way we can incorporate all the elements of a more dynamic map.. and at the same time solve lots of issues which arise with a specified map.