Alpha forums is close to dead

DeletedUser1405

As far as im concerned, we have to take some blame as well, whenever new members come on and try to get involved they are flamed so badly they leave the forums never to return.
Ive spoken to several members in my alliances who have asked about rudeness in the public forums.
Maybe if we werent to hard on some of the newer players then we could get some newer players in here.

DeletedUser

Well, the new members usually just visit the alliance-join-recruit section, where the "vets" love to flame noobs for mass recruiting and their nooby alliances. Can't really blame them for that. I've done so myself a few times. Like that guy who was giving a warning to the world about an alliance having 1000s of mythical units. Couldn't hold myself back lol.

DeletedUser

As far as im concerned, we have to take some blame as well, whenever new members come on and try to get involved they are flamed so badly they leave the forums never to return.
Ive spoken to several members in my alliances who have asked about rudeness in the public forums.
Maybe if we werent to hard on some of the newer players then we could get some newer players in here.

Mike62, I do believe you have a very good point. When I was playing in Alpha the general rule of thumb in any of the alliances was to avoid this forum like the plague. It was generally full of morons who would flame anyone and everyone for posting up anything be it an opinion (stupid, valid or even funny) and even sensible posts were generally flamed by some muppet who felt they could as he or she was ranked in the top 200... :rolleyes:

And that is before you get the "my polis is bigger than your polis" posts or eve the "say that and I will get my butch alliance to kick your backside" posts :supermad:

I do concede that you cannot hold the hand of every newcomer to the forums, a little warmer reception by some regulars to these players who are new to the forums would not go amiss (and by warmer reception I don't mean burn down their polis whilst they are being distracted here lol) or god forbid, even some polite interaction without taking the mickey would be a start in most cases.

DeletedUser

Agreed... I'm ussually nice to them unless they stry into the debating forum and turn out to be the exact opposite of me... a republican!:eek:

I promise to be even nicer to newbies than I am normally. ;)

but you can't blame it on that only; mods are a lot stricter here than in other forums (isn't a bad thing) but it puts new comers off severly and you notice all of the new forumers consider the mods the online heart of evil

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

I think another problem is the rep system. If someone just disagrees with an argument that might be extremely reasonable and well thought out, the derep you if you have a rep of 0. That is why so many people with 5 posts have negative rep. I had 0 rep as well, posted an argument once on why I thought an idea was not very great (kept all the respect to the one who made idea, and used very formal language and backed up every opinion with facts) and I got a negative rep that day that dropped me to a red. The comment left was "Hehe, I'm evil".

DeletedUser4013

It seems that there are a lot of things which all of us can do to make these forums a friendlier place for new posters. Most of which all starts with being nice and respectful of each other

Lugosi

Strategos
I think another problem is the rep system. If someone just disagrees with an argument that might be extremely reasonable and well thought out, the derep you if you have a rep of 0. That is why so many people with 5 posts have negative rep. I had 0 rep as well, posted an argument once on why I thought an idea was not very great (kept all the respect to the one who made idea, and used very formal language and backed up every opinion with facts) and I got a negative rep that day that dropped me to a red. The comment left was "Hehe, I'm evil".

I completely agree there. Thats what happened to me the first comment I got was "you fail". How is that a reasonable comment, thats just an insult!! :supermad:

DeletedUser

It seems that there are a lot of things which all of us can do to make these forums a friendlier place for new posters. Most of which all starts with being nice and respectful of each other

Well said....I agree, and yet I am guilty of infracting the system many times....Your very right, but more often or not players get scared away or avoid posting for some apprehension of getting flamed and trompped on.

Tough talking in the forum I agree with, easing up and relaxing with the threats of infraction could happen as well and more warnings GIVEN out. But the reverse as well. Maybe a nice system of reward to contributing players to the well being of the forum and it's growth and subsequent use.

In other words a system of pats on the back to players who go above and beyond the call of duty. Posting messages on the forum that helps promote it success and welfare. If we promote and reward players for more positivity and growth the forum would natural grow in use and be a much more friendlier place to be in.

In Tribal wars I was a duke of a tribe and regularily promoted player contributions in the tribal forum. It worked great. Players want rank, titles, awards but something that also be better promoted in the forum and displayed on their profile. Just a rambling of some thoughts....

:)

DeletedUser

To some effect, there is the rep system for that but I believe it to be quite unfair. The more rep you have means the more you can affect another's rep. Some can give or take 300+ points of reputation in a single go. Once you hit 0 your rep count can't influence anyone's. Meaning you can be reduced to no influence in a single controversial post. Although I do like the 0 rep idea, keeping spammers and trolls from derepping.

Then there is title change depending on post count.

But these don't necessarily benefit the forum, they just encourage more posting and chatting, chatting about what certain people want to hear.
However, it is better than nothing. A good guide is bound to give you in excess of 30 reps from various pointed people, but not as much as starting or posting early on a good random discussion thread.

DeletedUser

there is one of these in every world forum except iota since it's new

DeletedUser12094

I'm going to make my alliance go on this forum to chat to other players, not only in the alliance.

DeletedUser

I'm going to make my alliance go on this forum to chat to other players, not only in the alliance.

I have done the same....I ordered all my alliance members to be active in this forum or else......:p....I am the only one in my alliance......:)