Assembling Troops in Battle Formation

Would you like to see this idea implemented?

• Yes.

Votes: 25 36.8%
  • No.

Votes: 43 63.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser

Ok looking over this idea again it would be easy, sorry i was looking at another post and then went to this.

Lets do it!

DeletedUser

Its a great idea but not every body would be happy with it maybe it can be not compulsery like you can choose if you want one or not either there can be default ones or you can't attack a player that hasn't created a battle formation and the defender can't apply their battle formation if the attacker hasn't made one.
And if you have this idea it would be pretty dome not to make a reaction thing so that you can have all slingers in front but when enemy gets close slingers run behind otgher troops (slingers can run fast).
And when enemy is far away you can send all horsemen out to attack them but you'll have to prepare how all troops will react beforehand not in the instant of it all though tghat will be pretty cool

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Hey i just had a crazy idea you could assemble troops on the wall obviously but to assemble them in a forest, cliff or hiding in a cave ready to ambush you'll need to upgrade your timber camp for the forest quarry for the cliff and silver mine for the cave i know it doesn't make much sense with the timber camp chopping down trees and then you have a bigger forest oh well

DeletedUser

Hey i just had a crazy idea you could assemble troops on the wall obviously but to assemble them in a forest, cliff or hiding in a cave ready to ambush you'll need to upgrade your timber camp for the forest quarry for the cliff and silver mine for the cave i know it doesn't make much sense with the timber camp chopping down trees and then you have a bigger forest oh well

This is included.

DeletedUser2795

I have already said it, and I hold by my original opinion. This idea is overly complex and causes too radical a change to game-play.

DeletedUser

I really can´t understand why there are people who think this is complex and complicated or that it will cause a lag, its very obvious, clear and straight forward, and I like it.

And No, it will not change the way battles are calculated, for example:
I place my hoplites in the gate of the wall
My enemy chooses to attack with horses first.
His horsemen get murdered and die at the gate. Had he chosen to send slingers first he would have killed my hoplites.
Of course numbers DO matter, if I have 50 hoplites in my gate and a wall lvl 10 and he attacks with 50 horses my 50 hoplites die and so do 22 horses, but 28 horses go thru (according to the sim).
Game mechanics not changed, what changes is the order in which the troops fight on the city

My swordmen are behind, after his horses got killed his slingers were placed to go second and kill my hoplites, but then die against the swordmen that are behind. etc etc.

Your position as a defender is placed when you are online and it stays that way until you change it. So if you go offline your men will be already assembled like that. If the next time you come online you don´t change your formation it will stay like it is. You have to click "change formation" to edit it.

The defender does not have to worry abut being online, as it makes no difference whatsoever, unless he uses "Wisdom" which would show what the enemy is sending and thus he would be able to change formation to suit the situation. (this would also make wisdom a better tool). And because of the favor that wisdom takes if you have severall incoming attack you can´t just wisdom them all.

Also, if im sending 2 attacks on a city and I choose 2 different formations the defender will have it harder (again being online or not is NOT a factor), but it reduces the huge advantages the defender already has a bit.

Also if you send a spy he would be able to tell you the defensive formation of said city.

Its NOT like rock-paper-scissors in the way you are suggesting, it follows the natural game mechanics because in game:
Slinger > hoplite > horse > archer > hoplite > swordman > slinger.

So yes, a bit of a rock -ppr-sis thing will exist but its just in the way you accommodate your men, if the city has no hoplites then it wont matter much what formation the swordmen and archers are placed because the horses will kill them anyway (like it happens in the game now- So mechanics and battle calculations are NOT changed)

As for accomodating troops, its not drag and drop, because the city has few places to put men- Gate, the little plaza behind it, walls, in front of the senate and in front of academy. You would click on the spot (like the gate) and a box will appear (just like the box that appears when you are going to send an attack) and you will select the unit that you will place there ex: Hoplites, and in the withe rectangle where you type the number you type it ex: 50. The you click on "place" and there you will have 50 hoplites in the gate. The you click on the plaza and the same dynamic happens. No lag, just number typing like when we attack.

Its really quite simple

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

I really can´t understand why there are people who think this is complex and complicated or that it will cause a lag, its very obvious, clear and straight forward, and I like it.

And No, it will not change the way battles are calculated, for example:
I place my hoplites in the gate of the wall
My enemy chooses to attack with horses first.
His horsemen get murdered and die at the gate. Had he chosen to send slingers first he would have killed my hoplites.

My swordmen are behind, after his horses got killed his slingers were placed to go second and kill my hoplites, but then die against the swordmen that are behind. etc etc.

Your position as a defender is placed when you are online and it stays that way until you change it. So if you go offline your men will be already assembled like that. If the next time you come online you don´t change your formation it will stay like it is. You have to click "change formation" to edit it.

The defender does not have to worry abut being online, as it makes no difference whatsoever, unless he uses "Wisdom" which would show what the enemy is sending and thus he would be able to change formation to suit the situation. (this would also make wisdom a better tool). And because of the favor that wisdom takes if you have severall incoming attack you can´t just wisdom them all.

Also, if im sending 2 attacks on a city and I choose 2 different formations the defender will have it harder (again being online or not is NOT a factor), but it reduces the huge advantages the defender already has a bit.

Also if you send a spy he would be able to tell you the defensive formation of said city.

Its NOT like rock-paper-scissors in the way you are suggesting, it follows the natural game mechanics because in game:
Slinger > hoplite > horse > archer > hoplite > swordman > slinger.

So yes, a bit of a rock -ppr-sis thing will exist but its just in the way you accommodate your men, if the city has no hoplites then it wont matter much what formation the swordmen and archers are placed because the horses will kill them anyway (like it happens in the game now- So mechanics and battle calculations are NOT changed)

As for accomodating troops, its not drag and drop, because the city has few places to put men- Gate, the little plaza behind it, walls, in front of the senate and in front of academy. You would click on the spot (like the gate) and a box will appear (just like the box that appears when you are going to send an attack) and you will select the unit that you will place there ex: Hoplites, and in the withe rectangle where you type the number you type it ex: 50. The you click on "place" and there you will have 50 hoplites in the gate. The you click on the plaza and the same dynamic happens. No lag, just number typing like when we attack.

Its really quite simple

Thanks for your simple explanation of these ideas. However, for the creation of formations, you will go to the formation creator, create a formation, and then choose a spot in your city for that formation, or use that formation in an offensive way.

And yes, lag will be minimal. There will be no complex 3D graphics that you have to worry about.

On a side note: why don't they make Grepolis a downloadable, server-connected game? Graphics would be better and less data would need to be transmitted over the Internet. Of course the current webapp version should be kept and maintained as well.

The way this works is for brains to have a part in the game, rather than pure military muscle.

DeletedUser2795

But here is my question:
Even if there is currently no "brain" involved, then do people want more brain to be involved?

DeletedUser

Well if you read this thread you would see that those who have posted in favor do want more brain.
Those who posted against it was not because of brain involvement but because of: thinking it would lag, thinking it would be random, thinking that you need to be online, thinking that troop types and numbers wouldn´t count, or because they didn´t understand the idea.
Nobody has said that they don´t like it because it requires them to use their brains.

And it really isnt that brain required, just basic knowledge of units strengths and weaknesses, its not like you will fight your battle like in Rome total war or age of empires. You are just choosing the order of your soldiers to fight. and it makes much sense.

DeletedUser8467

I like the idea. But what about timeing attacks?

I mean when CSing a hard opponent you will normally attack with everything you have.......so if you have 30+ attacks to time and launch, plus 30+ supports (just an example) will you be able to organise these formations in time to attack?

When your timing that many attacks, as we all know many attacks and/or support will be launched very close together, aka 30 secs apart and so forth. So you dont have the time to mess around, you select you town, attack your target and are instantly going to your next launching town, to launch literaly straight away.......

So with these formations, do you have to set the formation up just before you attack? Or can you already have all the attack formations logged and ready to roll whenever you want??

If it has to be done only when your going to attack, i dont see it as working properly, as then we cant really time everything good?

If that makes any sense ?

Just my opinion :)

DeletedUser8467

I mean when CSing a hard opponent you will normally attack with everything you have.......so if you have 30+ attacks to time and launch, plus 30+ supports (just an example) will you be able to organise these formations in time to attack?

When your timing that many attacks, as we all know many attacks and/or support will be launched very close together, aka 30 secs apart and so forth. So you dont have the time to mess around, you select you town, attack your target and are instantly going to your next launching town, to launch literaly straight away.......

So with these formations, do you have to set the formation up just before you attack? Or can you already have all the attack formations logged and ready to roll whenever you want??

If it has to be done only when your going to attack, i dont see it as working properly, as then we cant really time everything good?

DeletedUser

No, you formations can already be there, and stay like that days unchanged, to change them you click on change formation, but that is just if you want to modify them.
They will be there ready to roll.
Same for the defender, you make the formation you want your city to have to defend and it can stay like that for months if you want .

DeletedUser8467

In that case, i love it. Good idea :)

The game is gr8 atm, but anything that adds new strategies is always good in my book.

Alas im not technically minded so cant comment on if it can be done or not :(

DeletedUser

I'll let you guys in on a little secret
When i first signed up for grepolis I thought it was age of empires online don't laugh
And when i got my first swordsman I was very disappointed that you just had to buy them and expect them to do the rest.
This would be awsome if it was put in the game.

DeletedUser

I'll let you guys in on a little secret
When i first signed up for grepolis I thought it was age of empires online don't laugh
And when i got my first swordsman I was very disappointed that you just had to buy them and expect them to do the rest.
Yeah, none of my friends or people I know want to play grepolis when i show them because they find boring the fact that you just click and wait for reports.

But this Idea WON´T turn the game in to AoE online or anything similar, it will just add interest, some brain and strategy, and give you more control of the order of combat of your units.
It would be a big benefice for the game

DeletedUser3393

I don't know if it has been suggested before, I dont want to sift through 10 pages.

But i like the idea... Only if :

The formations helps save certain types of troops.
E.g.

When u have ur Hops,Horses,Chariots in front. they will be the ones dying before Archers/Slingers.

Same case goes in case of Fireships.. u can set fireships as the frontline of defense, so they die before ur briremes.

Also this will mean that people who have mixed troops (offense and defense) can hide their offense troops in formation when they are under attack.

DeletedUser

Also this will mean that people who have mixed troops (offense and defense) can hide their offense troops in formation when they are under attack.
When u have ur Hops,Horses,Chariots in front. they will be the ones dying before Archers/Slingers.
Exactly
like it would have happened in ancient greece, and in the world of logic, sense and understanding

DeletedUser

Formations will be made in advance of the actual attack, and the troop movements are to be sorted out, and then battle formations can be saved in the Formation Editor. When you send off an attack you can choose to put it into one of your saved formations.

Additionally, from this same editor you can make defensive formations to guard your city, then assign these formations to your city's garrison.

I hope that this helped you to understand the idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.