Open Daily Quickfire Debates!

DeletedUser

I'll take a guess and say it's Switzerland.
Not Switzerland, something even smaller and less significant from the world's perspective - Estonia.

A long and difficult history under countless foreign occupations has given a very strong meaning to the word independence and every means necessary is taken to preserve that, which is why I value the need of such training.

DeletedUser33530

Ever since the invention of the Swiss knife... Switzerland hasn't been in a war..
yes well that and the fact that Switzerland has hundreds of mountain passes that could easily be defended makes invading it the second stupidest military move you can make. The #1 stupidest is invading Russia during the winter.

Not Switzerland, something even smaller and less significant from the world's perspective - Estonia.

A long and difficult history under countless foreign occupations has given a very strong meaning to the word independence and every means necessary is taken to preserve that, which is why I value the need of such training.
I have actually heard about that country before.

DeletedUser

Well, it seems this debate topic has run its course.

New debate coming soon.

DeletedUser5819

Most of us do, yes, but we won't realise how much till we become parents ourselves.

DeletedUser

Maybe more specifically-
Do children 'owe' their parents for raising them?

I know so many people that feel they can't argue with parents or do something that they want to do, and all because they feel they owe their parents something for raising them.

DeletedUser

i'd say once you move out, or wish to move out, they should just accept your decisions.

DeletedUser44426

Maybe more specifically-
Do children 'owe' their parents for raising them?

I know so many people that feel they can't argue with parents or do something that they want to do, and all because they feel they owe their parents something for raising them.

Well my parents were horrible. I had myself emancipated a year ago and haven't seen them since. But I think this owe your parents part is quite crazy, imo. Some parents are not good whatsoever, some are good. But why owe them anyway? After all they wanted to have you and took responsibility for it, so why make the child owe them? I should stop here before I make a power point on this.:p

DeletedUser

I totally agree with TKJ. My parents were the bane of my life. Well I guess I should say mainly my father haha. Always set in his ways. Such a hypocrite too. I could go on and on but...

Anyways, do I think I owe them? Absolutely not. I was born a child as all people are. What they gave me was for me to grow up so I wouldn't need them. If they think we owe them they are completely mistaken. If we were born adults, we'd be all set but we weren't. Should I be grateful? I suppose.

The very thought of owing them drives me crazy! Thanks for putting it in my mind Thomas! :D

DeletedUser33530

I feel I owe my mom a lot as she raised me and three other equal crazy people all by herself (my dad died when I was 6 or 7). That said I don't ever plan on paying her back :p although I have made her some riculous promises like "when I rule the world you don't have to pay taxes" and "you can have a little cottage on my estate for you're retirement" :D

DeletedUser

I remember my Mum saying when I finished school, any time that I stayed longer at home, I'd have to start paying rent :D

But yeah, we do owe them, they looked after us when we were young and I feel that we can return the favour by looking after them when they get into old age.

DeletedUser33530

My mom is torn between seeing her kids a lot when she becomes an old lady or not seeing us at all. Why you ask? Well she thinks the stress we cause her is gonna give her a heart attack. I don't know what she's talking about though, I don't cause stress :p.

DeletedUser

Do we owe our parents anything?
Discuss.

Maybe... but that still doesn't mean my parents should have sent me that 18 year itemized bill.

I mean... just for example... If I'd known I was going to be billed for it, I never would have gotten an ice cream during my little league baseball tournament back in 1974... you know?

DeletedUser3613

I owe them nothing and no "high court judgement" will tell me otherwise !!

DeletedUser5819

Its hard to give back if it is demanded, and most of the giving is given to our own children, however it is also difficult to not want to please them.
When mine pass I will get that sex change op 0:)