Dangers to health?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser

Those ecigs don't work. I know lots of people that try them and end up going back to the real thing. I would be all over them otherwise

DeletedUser

Actually the state I live in has completely banned smoking from all buildings. (Not including your house)

DeletedUser6029

ok, now I am getting a bit peeved. Why is obesity always ignored for smoking? Again, overeating is JUST as costly, just as dangerous, JUST as obnoxious as a smoker!

DeletedUser

ok, now I am getting a bit peeved. Why is obesity always ignored for smoking? Again, overeating is JUST as costly, just as dangerous, JUST as obnoxious as a smoker!

Because tobacco is bad fast food is good. Seriously if you tax the out of greasy burgers the same you did cigs I think everyone including myself would riot

DeletedUser6029

very hypocritical if you ask me of the governments around the world...AND the population of the societies as well.
Yo...you are fat and a drain on healthcare, but since I can't tax the hell out of you, go for it and be gluttonous as you wish, despite the health risks you perpetuate that will drain our systems......

But heaven forbid you smoke. Even the hospitals test you for nicotine in the blood, so if you are on a patch, gum, dip, etc etc you are screwed. Don't tell me that people who dip and chew are "harming" others...that is a load.

Which by the way nullifies the argument that smokers harm others...it isn't the smoking that is targeted, but the nicotine...which proves it is all propaganda.

Me personally...I quit smoking for my shoe shopping. Not for health reasons.
:D

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

very hypocritical if you ask me of the governments around the world...AND the population of the societies as well.
Yo...you are fat and a drain on healthcare, but since I can't tax the hell out of you, go for it and be gluttonous as you wish, despite the health risks you perpetuate that will drain our systems......

But heaven forbid you smoke. Even the hospitals test you for nicotine in the blood, so if you are on a patch, gum, dip, etc etc you are screwed. Don't tell me that people who dip and chew are "harming" others...that is a load.

Which by the way nullifies the argument that smokers harm others...it isn't the smoking that is targeted, but the nicotine...which proves it is all propaganda.

Me personally...I quit smoking for my shoe shopping. Not for health reasons.
:D

My last employer had us submit to hair follicle testing to test for nicotine so they knew who they had to charge more for insurance. No they never did check for blood sugar :\

It's easier to demonize smoking because smoking was "cool" and fat people are just not cool and should be pitied I suppose.

DeletedUser6029

It's easier to demonize smoking because smoking was "cool" and fat people are just not cool and should be pitied I suppose.
I will disagree with you here. I don't think it is a pity thing. I think it is a part of the whole, ohhhhh love me for who I am. You know the old adage, I am a hottie now, but will you still want me if I gain weight? Aren't you suppose to love me for my insides not my outsides, blah blah blah. The truth is, people have taken obesity away from being a health hazard, and turned it into a lifestyle choice, and an attack on a person. Just because I say you are fat doesn't mean I don't like you...geeze people.

Now I have to issue a disclaimer because I have strong opinions on this subject....I do not consider people with medical problems as part of the population I am referring to. My sister went into the hospital 15 days ago weight 137, and thanks to her steroid shots she came out today weighing over 200. She will likely not lose much of that weight, no matter how hard she tries....I don't consider that as obese.

DeletedUser

I was using smoking as an example as its easier to remember the TV ads about it than come up with brand new arguments against Obesity and junk food.

Obesity is much harder to argue, obesity can happen naturally, which obviously smoking cant.

J.n.c 1993

Strategos
I don't over-eat, I like to think I'm quite healthy with my eating, my body is quite fit except for the fact that I smoke and drink excessively every weekend. Do I care? NOPE! :D

DeletedUser

IM the opposite, i eat junkfood (lots of it tbh) but i have an active lifestyle, so im not overweight at all. I think its just lazy people, and people who eat excessively, without balancing their lifestyle that give junkfood a bad name. Everything is fine in moderation.

DeletedUser30490

i agree with j.n.c and same with jono
even i eat like crazy but still very lean....
and who says smoking and drinking is bad for you ;) ??

DeletedUser

Lol smoking is proven to be, the smoke kills you. Of course 1 or 2 ciggy's is not enough to do damage though. Same with alchahol.

DeletedUser

You know what else is hazardous to your health? WINNING! :cool:

Sorry pushty, but I agree there!

Sort of same jono. When I was a wee laddie I eat tons of junk but I had a very high metabolism, sorta like shaggy from Scooby doo LOL so I was lucky. Then when that went away just compensate with more exercise. No diets though :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

I overeat yet no one ever notices... And anyway there is a lot of truth the statement 'ignorance is bliss'

DeletedUser25380

I agree with Dom and nukedog on this, for tobacco, it's even a pain for non-smokers how far these laws and warnings and advertising have gone...

Yet obesity is an issue too, and as far as stinking, then let's forbid popcorn in movie theatres, it's not good for your health and it's a significant disturbance to others... Same goes for any enclosed area: forbid reheated pizzas and bags of chips at your work desk, no "lunch meeting", etc..

I don't like the smell of smoke, however that smell is much worse now that we "concentrate" the smokers in "smoking-only zones" of all kinds (hotel rooms, airports smoking areas, etc.). And when traveling or going out to a bar with friends, or having friends at home, I hate that they have to go out somewhere for a smoke and leave the conversation mid-way. I certainly wouldn't ask them to stop smoking, this is a choice they make.

I used to smoke once in a while and never got addicted, so it is also not true that it always is an addiction. I did it because I enjoyed it, the same way I like a glass of wine or a piece of chocolate (as addictive btw in my opinion :p). I doubt I'll smoke again, because it really has become too much of a hassle. So in that sense, yes, these rules are reducing smoking - but only for those who can stop when they want and enjoyed smoking. I am against a number of the rules the way they are as it spoils the fun for everyone.
Many house and apartment rentals don't allow smoking. I could understand that they charge for cleaning, but they flat out rule against it.

As for alcohol, with moderation, wine is even good for your health. The key is moderation, as for everything.

One day we were watching an open air blues festival, one of the concert had a "beer garden" around it. I noticed several mothers standing by next to it with babies, who couldn't go closer and couldn't get a seat because they were with their kids, who are not allowed inside... How stupid is that? They needed a seat more than we did, carrying these babies. Does anyone think that because a baby sees a bottle he will be somehow traumatized for the rest of his life?? And why in North America do we have to put bottles in brown bags when crossing the street, we think maybe the kids don't know these are bottles, and if they knew, they surely would get harmed in the process??

The laws have become so distorted.

DeletedUser

Thanks Imaria for the post. I just want to say that I understand that smoking is hazardous to people that are exposed to it and I understand 90% of legislation against it. I just think the tax is useless and is just a cash cow that can't be argued against and smoking in bars should be left to the bar owners discretion not a bunch of liberal voters that think they know what's best for everyone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.