Dangers to health?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser6029

That is EXACTLY what it is. If it wasn't taxable to such a high amount, nobody would think twice about it.

DeletedUser

Now I have to issue a disclaimer because I have strong opinions on this subject....I do not consider people with medical problems as part of the population I am referring to. My sister went into the hospital 15 days ago weight 137, and thanks to her steroid shots she came out today weighing over 200. She will likely not lose much of that weight, no matter how hard she tries....I don't consider that as obese.

Obesity is a recognised medical condition in which body mass index is a more important deciding factor than weight alone.

You talk of your sister and say, 'I don't consider that as obese'. Medically, she is either obese or she is not obese, there is no middle ground. The cause of the condition is irrelevant.

DeletedUser

Obviously not enough effort is put into telling people that smoking/drinking is harmful, as there are still a vast majority of people who either drink, smoke, have an unhealthy diet or a combination. >.> (in well developed countries)

I don't understand how it's even a debate.

Thrillology

Phrourach
You can't tell people what to eat and what not to. If they choose to make poor food choices, then they suffer consequences. If someone chooses to eat healthy foods and make good choices, then they reap positive benefits.

DeletedUser6029

Obesity is a recognised medical condition in which body mass index is a more important deciding factor than weight alone.

You talk of your sister and say, 'I don't consider that as obese'. Medically, she is either obese or she is not obese, there is no middle ground. The cause of the condition is irrelevant.

True point, let me edit it and say that I don't consider that gluttonously obese. I realize it is obese, but a lot of obese people are such because for lack of a better word, just lazy. Have no accountability for their habits, and/or just don't give a .....I do differentiate between the two categories of obese people...
Obviously not enough effort is put into telling people that smoking/drinking is harmful, as there are still a vast majority of people who either drink, smoke, have an unhealthy diet or a combination. >.> (in well developed countries)

I don't understand how it's even a debate.

until Bloomberg got on the bandwagon, nobody did anything more than a token tsk tsk on obesity....finally it is front line news...however you do not see commercials that say, yo...you are fat and costing us money, and taking time away from others with your weight excess. Finally Orlando has an ambulance just for over weight people...and it costs said person 23K per ride in that puppy. But nobody has a problem when Truth gets all in your face about smoking...or DUI commercials show car accidents...just saying...
You can't tell people what to eat and what not to. If they choose to make poor food choices, then they suffer consequences. If someone chooses to eat healthy foods and make good choices, then they reap positive benefits.

nobody saying anything about telling people they can't eat something....but on your logic, why can they tell me where someone can/can't smoke...or how much to drink?

Disclaimer: the fat comment was not meant to be offensive to anyone. I was making a point of the tone of truth commercials, and of DUI commercials compared to the PSA's regarding over eating.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

nobody saying anything about telling people they can't eat something....but on your logic, why can they tell me where someone can/can't smoke...or how much to drink?
They tell you where and where not to smoke and how much to drink because they believe it will protect others from the effects. No matter what you think, when they limit that stuff, it does protect others. Heck, even if it did by only a little, they'd still do it. (Really though, who should care how much you drink as long as you don't get behind the wheel?(unless you get so drunk you abuse others and such))

DeletedUser6029

They tell you where and where not to smoke and how much to drink because they believe it will protect others from the effects. No matter what you think, when they limit that stuff, it does protect others. Heck, even if it did by only a little, they'd still do it. (Really though, who should care how much you drink as long as you don't get behind the wheel?(unless you get so drunk you abuse others and such))
Then please explain snuff, dip and chew?
AND if this were the case, why not tax junk food as outrageously as they do tobacco and alcohol?

DeletedUser

Please elaborate on how ones obesity effects others health as much as alcohol and smoking?

Honestly, if they taxed junk food that be quite a lot of tax. Plus it's not just junk food that makes you fat. Excessive eating of nearly anything could. It depends on your activeness as well. I could eat celery, apples, and other veggie and fruits and still become weak and or fat.

Thrillology

Phrourach
Please elaborate on how ones obesity effects others health as much as alcohol and smoking?

Honestly, if they taxed junk food that be like quite about of tax. Plus it's not just junk food that makes you fat. Excessive eating of nearly anything could. It depends on your activeness as well. I could eat celery, apples, and other veggie and fruits and still become weak and or fat.

Agreed!

--------

Also, I don't want taxes on foods, that will limit our food choices and restrict some of our freedom we enjoy in the US and a few other countries. Eat at your own risk, make choices at your own risk (though if it risks other people...).

If you're a man in your 40's, you'll start getting some fat that you can't get rid of. Also, women have 8% more fat then men (on average), so they get fatter easily and that results in more fat women, but that's because they too made poor choices, however, being born with that extra fat isn't something they could avoid being born with.

DeletedUser

excessive drinking not only destroys your health, it also destroys your ability to reason and thus destroying your social life. everyone knows it. and i think taxing cigarettes and alcohol is really necessary. even though i am sure the consumption of such poisons has not reduced.

junk food as well as certain soft drinks if taken in limits is harmless. but some people become addicts to it too. so, taxing those items also doesnot seem too bad. if suppose someone who likes burger and eats it once a month, its not bad. and he can certainly pay a dollar more for that. but if a boy eats it on a daily basis, maybe taxing the burger may help reduce its consumption. thats my opinion

DeletedUser

I agree with most of it but the same thing with junk food can apply to alcohol. Some wine/beer a day a week isn't that bad, even more than that.

DeletedUser

I agree with most of it but the same thing with junk food can apply to alcohol. Some wine/beer a day a week isn't that bad, even more than that.

consumption of alcohol or wine should largely depend on region and climate. i dont think wine or beer even a day is good in moderate of hot climate. whereas in cold places alcohol is said to be good as it heats the body.

DeletedUser

consumption of alcohol or wine should largely depend on region and climate. i dont think wine or beer even a day is good in moderate of hot climate. whereas in cold places alcohol is said to be good as it heats the body.

That's mostly true. Alcohol in hot climates is not good if you plan on sweating the next day. It dehydrates you. It doesn't actually do anything more than give you the impression of being warm when you're not though. It thins your blood. It will insulate you from shock though.

Anyway, so you're argument is that in hot climates people should be aware of the dangers of alcohol? If that's the case I can say my company does during safety meetings due to the hot climate and working conditions.

DeletedUser

That's mostly true. Alcohol in hot climates is not good if you plan on sweating the next day. It dehydrates you. It doesn't actually do anything more than give you the impression of being warm when you're not though. It thins your blood. It will insulate you from shock though.

Anyway, so you're argument is that in hot climates people should be aware of the dangers of alcohol? If that's the case I can say my company does during safety meetings due to the hot climate and working conditions.

i would like the idea of total ban of alcohol from the places where its not required. i have been to places where its not allowed. and in my country that state is most developed and most crime free. wonder how do they achieve that.

DeletedUser

When you say ban all alcohol in places not required does that count for religious alcohol? Such as communal wine?

DeletedUser

When you say ban all alcohol in places not required does that count for religious alcohol? Such as communal wine?

i wouldnt say stuff like vodka and wine. they cannot be taken in huge quantity as far as i know. i mean stuff like beer, whiskey, rum or tequila. drunks consume these like crazy. often causing nuisance after that.

DeletedUser

It's a lie. I've gotten plenty messed up drinking vodka. The hangovers do seem to be less harsh than the brown water though xD

DeletedUser

Tbqh It's extremely easy to get drunk on wine too. Probably a lot more so than vodka. But I guess if you go around saying you drink a glass of wine now and again it sounds better than saying you like to drink beer.

Status
Not open for further replies.