Dangers to health?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser6029

thats wy i am patial to patron when i decide to lay watste on my sanity...jus saying

DeletedUser

No, ignorance is not bliss when it comes to your health.

People need to know that by smoking or drinking a lot of alcohol or taking certain (but not all) drugs, they are damaging their bodies... Sometimes in ways that cannot be undone.

The issue with things like cigarettes is that they are addictive. People start and then, if they have an addictive nature, they can't stop. There is a direct link between smoking and lung cancer. 4/5 lung cancers are caused by smoking cigarettes.

The issue IMO is that government profits too much from cigarettes, it isn't in their interests to harm the sales. 80% of the price of a packets of cigarettes in the UK is tax.

People are still allowed a choice, the adverts are simply there to show what happens if they choose to smoke. Government hasn't taken away this choice, the only way to do that would be to make cigarettes un available. Currently all that they are doing is highlighting the risks associated so that when people get ill, they have no-one to blame but themselves.
I think the heavy amount of tax is good. The UK government isn't doing it to profit, but to raise prices and thus discourage people from using it, they do the same thing with oil to try and meet emissions targets among other things.

DeletedUser

But that doesn't stop people from using them, people who are underage might be prepared to pay even more to get a pack, it is a good idea but it doesn't work very well when put into practice.

DeletedUser39031

Everything is harmful in certain qualities/quantities.
Can't agree more. However some things require less of it too make it bad. The smoking laws in Australia are awful. They try the ads, i think a new one each week yet very few people are giving it up, very bad addiction.

DeletedUser

If any of you are mad you can't smoke in doors, well now in Wisconsin you can only smoke outside a Walmart 25 ft. away from the Walmart.

DeletedUser

This thread has run its course. Thank you to all who participated and I hope you enjoyed the topic!

This thread is now closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.