How has the PLAYERS of Grepolis changed?

DeletedUser6029

I ask this because it seems like the playing dynamic has changed in Grepolis. I know there are older players here from first generation worlds. So you can riddle me this.

Back in our day, didn't we have a gentleman's agreement that was unofficial but respected that when someone was going through a life changing occurrence they were kinda "added to the do not mess with list" until all parties agreed the situation was over?

And secondly, did we ever colonize or conk on a friendly island without having contact with the members of the island first? Did we just assume, oh safety, let us land?

Since when did Grepo play become so rude?

DeletedUser

It became that way when the XBox live kids got into F2P games. We lack headsets to brutalize each other verbally, so now we send passive agressive forum posts, complain about those who use gold, which is one of the reason why the game even exists, and take cheap shots and beat our chests over a CS landing.

The world will change and mature as we go along, and then probably get dramatic again once WW's start.

FlcoBlades

Phrourach
It became that way when the XBox live kids got into F2P games. We lack headsets to brutalize each other verbally, so now we send passive agressive forum posts, complain about those who use gold, which is one of the reason why the game even exists, and take cheap shots and beat our chests over a CS landing.

The world will change and mature as we go along, and then probably get dramatic again once WW's start.

That is not true, I am from the first generation worlds and play Xbox and I am a gentleman. I play nicely and fairly.. I like to think so anyways :p

DeletedUser

That is not true, I am from the first generation worlds and play Xbox and I am a gentleman. I play nicely and fairly.. I like to think so anyways :p

I think he was referring to a certain individual rather than the community as a whole.

DeletedUser

I think he was referring to a certain individual rather than the community as a whole.

having played grep as a gentleman in the past. that only ends up betraying you and allowing people to choose carefully the point on my back that they wish to stab. ive been betrayed by poeple you would never think could betray...gentleman so to speak

i know gentleman in delos right now, these same gentleman are not team players, there busy conquering as many cities as they can. even though they ave 9+ cities. i feel like a scrounger when i ask them for a few bireme to defend a seige. and these gentleman reply, im desperatley in need of resources and in expansion mode etc meanwhile someone with 1or2 cities can muster 50+ birs. these same gentleman while there allies are being conquered and attacked left right and centre(please note that player is not in AURORA). ive gotten rid of 1or2 of those types

so it depends on what you call a gentleman, if gentleman is being nice in messages etc or doing all you can to help your allies. id rather someone who is a bit rude and opinionated but would stack me to high heaven and leave themselves vulnerable. than someone who tries to be nice to everyone but meanwhile looks out for himself first and would never send much units only a tiny portion of what he could send. the way i see it those gentleman are the selfish ones

DeletedUser6029

actually no, the question came about from reading other servers as well, the things that happen on them etc etc.
I am interested in everybody's opinion, but especially old skoolers

And Matt, I think I was pretty clear in my OP, I am not referring to "team players" that is a different topic all together. But an example I used on a different thread....we had a player who went into the hospital....and her cities remained off limits until ultimately they ghosted...due in its entirety to the situation she was going through.

There just use to be a code of conduct we as a world abided by, it didn't matter if we were a good guy or a bad guy. You abided by the rules of the world.

Last edited by a moderator:

Baudin Toolan

Grepolis Team
I never once saw a gentlemen's agreement in the early worlds in regards to going through drama and being left alone ingame. VM was made for those situations and if you weren't in VM and happened to be an enemy we didn't pause to consider if you were sick with the flu or were going through a mid life crisis. Grepolis is a war game and people play it as such which means we don't pause to ask if it's ok to attack you on a given day and we never expected our enemies to do the same. I think the grepo play hasn't changed but us old players believe it has since we think back too fondly on the older worlds.

DeletedUser6029

Wow Baudy, makes me glad I played on Epsilon. For all the attitude, we had uptown folks...with the exception of Reb1. Ok, well then since I now officially know the rest of the worlds were blood thirsty I will then retract my understanding of sportsmanship in Grepolis. I can name about 10 times where something happened suddenly and we gave that person space to deal with it. On all sides.

Epsilon is now in my head as the best server EVA!

I should stress Baudy, that I was referring to things like sudden hospitalizations, deaths etc etc. Not the common cold.

DeletedUser

I never once saw a gentlemen's agreement in the early worlds in regards to going through drama and being left alone ingame. VM was made for those situations
On Pi we had a couple of those agreements between alliances due to emergency medical reasons and the players in question being out of VM. The agreements went along fine, with both terminating after an agreed period of time, players ready or not.

I don't advocate for or against those types of arrangements. There are valid arguments on both sides. Everyone has to make the decisions that are best for them.

While I'm a Version 1 Grepo vet, I sort of lean towards not making those agreements anymore. Reason being, your alliance and the other alliance may come to agreement, but that doesn't prevent some other player or alliance coming in and disrupting things. Things can go either way, so either you risk it or you keep pursuing your objectives.

Baudin Toolan

Grepolis Team
I've always played with a more cynical bunch I guess. If a person made a claim about something serious and asked us to lay off we had no way of knowing if it was true and on a few occasions players were found out to have lied. There's just no way to know so I tend to not think on it and just continue with the war game.

DeletedUser1405

I started off in the Beta testing world and have noticed that peoples attitudes have really changed, we seem to have a lot of people acting like kids and forgetting that its just a game (all be it a great One).
Even when people were getting attacked it was a laugh that you could chat with the person launching at you without childish responses. Now all that happens is the blame game gets thrown around and people just won't admit they are being hit.
I would love to see these forums really active and some of the posters grow up, but its unlikely to happen.

FlcoBlades

Phrourach
Now that I think about it, Grepolis is full of bloodthirsty people who just want more cities... In Gamma I saw plenty of times where people were sick and couldn't get on Grepolis to put on VM and their own Alliance still absorbed them, knowing that they were sick and in the hospital.

DeletedUser9358

i read of 2 worlds posted about that i played in and agree with what was said...Epsilon and Pi. both were great worlds to play in...many respectable players i encountered both ally and enemy...
i am now playing in Delos as my main world and i am finding many of the same kind of players there too...

every world i am sure has its share of honourable players...and that is what makes each world and grepolis in general the reason we play daily....for years...lol

DeletedUser

In with the topic of this thread please could Aurora have a ceasefire on all Mat's cities for a while? He has gone afk and I would like to see him return to this world.

DeletedUser38828

I have been on this game for over a month now and i have found myself among real gentlemen, players who will offer up resources to help me grow and players who see to defending me off a larger player.

However there are those types of players who are ill mouthed and do not speak or layout politely and just say things such as:

"gve me stuff pls"

These players disgust me, I hope when my Game world ends and i join a new one, players like that aren't playing.

But like any virus, they will always be back.

DeletedUser9358

In with the topic of this thread please could Aurora have a ceasefire on all Mat's cities for a while? He has gone afk and I would like to see him return to this world.
he was around when the attacks began....looks to me like he just gave up and went the way jason did...
so NO we will not stop until our objective is complete..
then maybe we might look to see if your cities are nice enough...sooner or later that day will come...as i am sure you already know. i am truely surprised you have been able to dodge that bullet(s) for this long. must be those cities you made so far away...but one day they will be in the way and will be taken too..we have along way to go still in glorious Delos :)

DeletedUser25380

Now that I think about it, Grepolis is full of bloodthirsty people who just want more cities... In Gamma I saw plenty of times where people were sick and couldn't get on Grepolis to put on VM and their own Alliance still absorbed them, knowing that they were sick and in the hospital.
Their own alliance actually doesn't have that much choice but to take the player's cities. Usually they don't even want these cities as it doesn't give them any more strength, they would rather not lose city slots on these ones... But if they don't, the enemy will, and will get at their doors, getting stronger from their weakness. An alliance can always propose to help the said player regain his (her) strength when (s)he is back.

DeletedUser25380

You are proposing that when a player is afk (as in "inactive", or "sleeping"), he not be attacked? Sounds to me you have a good sense of humor :D I didn't think this was a "let's wait till everyone's here to start the war" game :D
Grepolis already has an "advance notice" feature as you know when you will be attacked (due to travel time).
----
What you are talking about is entirely different from the original post about laying off for a set time from attacking people who have an emergency situation.