Passed Rumors of War

Would you like to see this idea implemented?

• Yes.

Votes: 51 71.8%
  • No.

Votes: 20 28.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser

Me316: thanks! =)

--------------------------

Dominotx: Spies give details... numbers, power levels... things that are a definite advantage.

Rumors are just meant to convey action.

To let people know the game is moving... even if their static web view doesn't indicate it. A good player may gleam a few hints of knowledge, but nothing solid or usable like a spy report.

----------------------------------------

raptok: Hmmm... you may have hit a snag... I hadn't thought about the colony issue... i guess I would view it this way....

The time till delivery for a rumor of war report is started *AFTER* an attack is complete.

So the clock won't even start ticking until the colonization attempt succeeds or fails.

So no one will hear of the attempt until its well over.

-----------------------------------------
LittleBlazey: Ya, my intent is to make it 1.5 or 2 times whatever the trade speed is for the world... and however long an attack takes, the Rumors do NOT even begin to go out till its over... then take 1.5 to 2 times the trade time to make it to a city.

=)

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Actually, in terms of colonizations, I think that they should be notified:

1) If the colony ship lands successfully or not.
2) If there is a conquest going on
3) If the attempt has succeeded or failed in the end.

DeletedUser6029

Actually, in terms of colonizations, I think that they should be notified:

1) If the colony ship lands successfully or not.
2) If there is a conquest going on
3) If the attempt has succeeded or failed in the end.

Would allow for others to join in and attack it...ummm, I try and sneak my colony ships in, when the player is off and can't alert anyone. Why would I want an alert sent out defeating the sneaking part of my plan?

DeletedUser

Hey Empirebuilder... I agree on maybe a little extra info in the case of a colonization... but the reports have to come out AFTER the attack...

Remember, these reports are meant more for color and a sense of ongoing action... they shouldn't effect current action.

DeletedUser2795

if you really want to go through with this, then include the possibilty of misinformation

DeletedUser

good idea... its the nature of rumors that they are often either wrong or exaggerated! =)

Plus it will help make sure its not a form of spy report.

We can mess with the results, the combatants or the location... the safest is to mess with the results...

How about this: a 25% chance the results (winner/loser) are reversed in the rumor...

More dangerous is messing with the city or combatants... mentioning the city NEXT to the one where the attack happened is named... or a player not actually involved.

MAN could THAT cause trouble. =/

DeletedUser6029

you know I really REALLY hate the idea of another report in my inbox. But a brainstorm just came to me..lol. Have it mailed much like the competition announcements are. I could handle that.

But the reason I am responding is because, If grepo does this, how would it know who is in an alliance with whom? If the servers cause desention purposely, that could feasibly destroy alliance that are standing. That would make this game even harder to win than usual, because nobody would trust anyone and so no merges, no tag teaming, no trust. Nobody sees a problem with this?

DeletedUser

First, you do know you can disable various reports from your inbox, right?

So you wouldn't have to get the Rumors of War if you don't want them.

Secondly, I am feeling dumb tonight.... are you are saying that if the rumor is *wrong* (ie. the 25% chance of having bad info) and it reports one ally attacks another, or something like that?

Is that what you mean?

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser6029

Yes. Grepo itself doesn't keep track of allies and naps, so that 25% could really muck up some alliances if it chose to "lie" about the wrong ones.

And yes I know how to filter.

DeletedUser

Well, it would certainly force allies and naps to communicate together... ESPECIALLY the large alliances... keep things exciting. lol

And misinformation is a huge problem in the real world... even today.

=====================

As for the time issue some people have brought up, I'd be willing to raise the time to 3 hours rumor travel time per 1 hour trade travel time, wihch means a city at the max distance, say 8 hours... would take a full day to hear about the battle.

DeletedUser

Well, it would certainly force allies and naps to communicate together... ESPECIALLY the large alliances... keep things exciting. lol

And misinformation is a huge problem in the real world... even today.

=====================

As for the time issue some people have brought up, I'd be willing to raise the time to 3 hours rumor travel time per 1 hour trade travel time, wihch means a city at the max distance, say 8 hours... would take a full day to hear about the battle.

24 hours from a conquest rumour to start while the conquest is still on but other than that yes ok

DeletedUser

Agreed. No Rumor reports are even begun to be distributed until the attack is COMPLETE.

Even the city right next door won't hear about an attack or conquest attempt until it is complete.

:)

DeletedUser

seems good for development discussions now and I'm with it after that last statement by rooster jones :)

DeletedUser2795

is there going to be more then just the current form of misinformation (ie, a 25% chance that they get one of the player names wrong)

DeletedUser

I modifidicated post #1

Please reviewerize it and let me know what you thinkalate.

DeletedUser

This idea good, but personally don't think it would have much value. The only positive thing that could come of this is having another dimension to farming, as spiking could be deployed more accurately.

Hypothetically, if this were implemented, I would be filtering out these rumors and only using them to see who is attacking which farms, and might not even use them for that purpose either. I really wouldn't care about some scrubs battling each other that aren't on my island.

Status
Not open for further replies.