10000 votes against Morale

Do you want morale left out of exising worlds?

• Yes

Votes: 741 89.5%
  • No

Votes: 33 4.0%
  • I can live with it if it's modified.

Votes: 54 6.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser

to be honest, i am more likely to buy a ticket to an all male naked ballet than a football game. ;3

Still. many of those objecting to the changes by threatening to leave are doing so because it is not what we signed up to play. We signed up to play a war game, and now they are limiting us in who we can fight, and which of our allies we can help. I object strongly to this, as do many others.

Exactly! (well maybe not about the football but...;) )

When a game gets boring you quit playing it, that's the natural way of things.

The reason it might seem like we're throwing a tantrum here is actually that we want the devs to not do this. If we don't mention that we would quit over this and then do, they may not be as inclined to listen, and be surprised when we do go. So actually, we're doing the devs a favor.

DeletedUser

It's like a 10 year old throwing a temper tantrum because he got chocolate ice cream, instead of vanilla.

Actually, if I order a vanilla ice cream and get a chocolate one, I won't eat it, and I'm unlikely to buy another one from the same place, especially if the waitress just tells me that she knows better than me what I like.

Actually what's worth quitting is not this particular update, but the fact that no matter what we say, something of it will be implemented (because it "improves gameplay"... kinda thought I was the one playing and could judge on my own what improved my gaming experience), and the way the updates are handled.

These updates come with little information and no explanation until someone asks for it or most likely complains about it.

What has been shown here is that no matter what players say, the devs will implement changes to make this game less "unfair" to the little people.
I am not opposed to that, but I don't trust the devs to make decisions and choices which will keep this game fun.

As I'm unsure about the future of the game, I'm also less willing to invest time and money in it.

Add to that that I would have liked some changes to occur to fix what does impede gameplay (simple things like a better map, easier to load and navigate for instance).
At the time I had 22 cities, and efficiently managing them was becoming repetitive.

Less fun + annoying features still there + new unwelcome feature added + belief that other like updates are going to be implemented + no trust in the devs = unwillingness to spend money and/or time in the game.

DeletedUser2795

Personally, I try to avoid getting too many cities to manage, but other then that, I can understand people quitting, but expanding on the ice cream analogy, the ice cream store makes good ice cream, but I just yell at them to fire the waiter and get me the ice cream I want, not leave and let the waiter get away with it.

DeletedUser

Personally, I try to avoid getting too many cities to manage, but other then that, I can understand people quitting, but expanding on the ice cream analogy, the ice cream store makes good ice cream, but I just yell at them to fire the waiter and get me the ice cream I want, not leave and let the waiter get away with it.

Your analogy is the one that is flawed. If you were truly comparing it to this, it would be that he complained to the management about their shoddy operation and waiters, then stormed out with the promise not to return.

DeletedUser

YAY! analogies. Can i play 2? Ok so lets make this a skit.

Microsoft : Were Realesing windows 1.12m iz teh awesome!!
Uona: Tried it it sucks.
Microsoft: No it doesnt
Uona: Look everyone here says it does.
Microsoft: Only the people who dont talk to us like it. You dont count,
Uona: T.T *gets 400 people* here all these people dont like it.
Microsoft: V 1.12m rulllz!! shhhhh!!!
Uona: 600 ?
Microsoft: *fingers in ears* LALALALALALA
Uona: 800 people?
Microsoft: sign in front of microsoft *windows 1.12m will be removed to improve the service we give you*
Uona: Yayz!

Next day,
Microsoft: V 1.12m is coming back!!! it rulz!!!
Uona: but it sucked :/
Microsoft: Fix it
Uona: waitwhut?
Uona: O.O
Microsoft: Heres some pen and paper. put it in the proper format.
Uona: Cant you just not put it back?
Microsoft: Shush. V1.12m rulz. now fix it.
Uona: dont you pay people to do that?
Microsoft: Theyre developers, Your the customer you fix it
Uona: But you dont even pay me :(
Microsoft: Then V 1.12m is back!!!!
Uona: >.> goes off to download linux.
Microsoft: Hah its your fault i told you to fix it.

hmmm.... that wasnt an analogy. Actually i dont really know how to make one. Enjoy :)

DeletedUser

YAY! analogies. Can i play 2? Ok so lets make this a skit.

Microsoft : Were Realesing windows 1.12m iz teh awesome!!
Uona: Tried it it sucks.
Microsoft: No it doesnt
Uona: Look everyone here says it does.
Microsoft: Only the people who dont talk to us like it. You dont count,
Uona: T.T *gets 400 people* here all these people dont like it.
Microsoft: V 1.12m rulllz!! shhhhh!!!
Uona: 600 ?
Microsoft: *fingers in ears* LALALALALALA
Uona: 800 people?
Microsoft: sign in front of microsoft *windows 1.12m will be removed to improve the service we give you*
Uona: Yayz!

Next day,
Microsoft: V 1.12m is coming back!!! it rulz!!!
Uona: but it sucked :/
Uona: waitwhut?
Uona: O.O
Microsoft: Heres some pen and paper. put it in the proper format.
Uona: Cant you just not put it back?
Microsoft: Shush. V1.12m rulz. now fix it.
Uona: dont you pay people to do that?
Microsoft: Theyre developers, Your the customer you fix it
Uona: But you dont even pay me :(
Microsoft: Then V 1.12m is back!!!!
Uona: >.> goes off to download linux.
Microsoft: Hah its your fault i told you to fix it.

hmmm.... that wasnt an analogy. Actually i dont really know how to make one. Enjoy :)

amazing :)

DeletedUser2795

Ah, but microsoft made Windows 7, and there is no end in sight for 1.12, because they do not seem to be wanting to reverse it. /but good other then that

DeletedUser

ok lets see who here is smart....

How does the morale system work... at what levels does it kick in?

seems to me that no one knows this and yet everyone still says it sucks

DeletedUser

Doesn't matter what level it kicks in, it should never get to the point where 35 militia are killing off 100 horsemen...

Just take a look at the screenshots in the beginning of this thread...

DeletedUser

this seems to be the closest formulas weve gotten for morale. Tho to be honest i dont see why you would bother to hide it or make people break out scientific calculators to find it. in other games that use morale like tribal wars you would be able to find out morale just by clicking on a village.

WHEN ((115 * (p.points/(Select points from players where id=###)))^0.315) >=62 Then 100
WHEN ((115 * (p.points/(Select points from players where id=###)))^0.315) >=50 and ((115 * (p.points/(Select points from players where id=###)))^0.315) <62 Then 92
WHEN ((115 * (p.points/(Select points from players where id=13520)))^0.315) >=33 and ((115 * (p.points/(Select points from players where id=###)))^0.315) <50 Then 81
WHEN ((115 * (p.points/(Select points from players where id=13520)))^0.315) >=20 and ((115 * (p.points/(Select points from players where id=###)))^0.315) <33 Then 69
WHEN ((115 * (p.points/(Select points from players where id=13520)))^0.315) >=10 and ((115 * (p.points/(Select points from players where id=###)))^0.315) <20 Then 56
WHEN ((115 * (p.points/(Select points from players where id=13520)))^0.315) >=5 and ((115 * (p.points/(Select points from players where id=###)))^0.315) <10 Then 48

You can just check the effects of morale using your own simulations. For example using a standard Level 20 wall and 325 militia. 1000 hoplites would be able to defeat 325 militia with 283 losses. setting the morale at 30 would mean that 1000 hoplites would die and 271 militia would. At 50% 650 hoplites would die and all the militia would.

Now common sense would say that morale would set your fighting strength to is. Like 100 morale equals 100% strength. 50 morale = 50% fighting strength. However this does not seem to be the case at 100 morale you lose 283 hoplites at 50 you lose 650 hoplites. So morale might actually use a formula which reduces your fighting strength to less than the morale value.

However everything that i have just said is useless. Lol. We dont need to know *exactly* how it works. All we really need is to put in morale values in the simulator to see that it is a horribly unbalancing feature. Would it help if you gave us more information instead of forcing us to use scientific calculators? Probably we could find out exactly what morale was. But we already see enough at the general levels (morale at around 100, morale at around 50, morale at around 30) to show that it makes the game unplayable.

There are plenty of reports floating around the forums if youd like to see the actual effects for yourself. Just use the search function. Some are actual ingame reports when people deicided to use the attack button while morale was in effect. Some are simulations based on worst case scenarioos like 60-70 swordsmen beating up 1000 slingers.

I repeat you dont need to know EXACTLY how it works to say it sucks just play around with the simulators a bit and form your own judgement. Which i guess everyone has.

DeletedUser

why should that even be something for players to have to experiment to figure out?

how many times does one have to lose their entire attack force before knowing exactly what to expect?

shouldn't the devs enlighten us a little? or maybe the mods?

are you sounding bitter there remorce because they are keeping you in the dark as well, and being a mod you aren't allowed to go against the game even if you disagree?

DeletedUser

Doesn't matter what level it kicks in, it should never get to the point where 35 militia are killing off 100 horsemen...

Just take a look at the screenshots in the beginning of this thread...

those screenshots are worst case scenarios, in most cases the defender won't have a level 25 farm, level 25 wall and city guard researched and the attacker won't get -30 luck in addition to the morale.

DeletedUser

.......How does the morale system work... at what levels does it kick in?........

It works by calculating the points difference between players and then calculates a malus for the big guy, which is not the sole way it should work. It should rather also take into account the time since joining a world, and after a while should not apply at all anymore. I suggested that somewhere down the line here, but it got drowned in the countless posts.

DeletedUser

those screenshots are worst case scenarios, in most cases the defender won't have a level 25 farm, level 25 wall and city guard researched and the attacker won't get -30 luck in addition to the morale.

1. Why cant you get -30 luck in addition to low morale? The two are mutually exclusive nothing in the morale algorithim says that if you have 30 morale you cant have -30 luck. Now there is a low probability that it will happen but it will.

2. Lvl 25 farm is not hard to get. city guard costs i think 3 rp? available at lvl 5 acaemy?. I grant you level 25 wall is hard. So lets reduce the worst case scenario to level 15 wall. (ironically its no longer the worst case then). 90 swords then kill 1000 slings. :) big difference :)

Oh yeah i didnt include militia too so no city guard worst case. and i dont want to do the math anymore but lets say lv l15 wall and 90 swords require a lvl 18 farm (random number but sounds right)

3. Btw this arent the true worst case scenarios. I mean the defender gave you 90 bp :(. Worst case scenario would be losing more than a 1000 hoplites to only militia.

4. Even without worse case scenarios just simulate stuff and look at the attack reports pasted. i think somebody lost 5 atapults to an empty village lol. In the opinion of many it makes the game unplayable.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser2795

Okay, in a bad case, not worst case, scenario, I set the luck at -20, wall at 10, morale at 30, defending troops at 100 swords. This would be what I would expect from a very, very low activity person that you wished to turn into a farm and was at ~1500 points and you already had 2 or 3 cities. Now, if you send 800 slingers to attack those 100 swords, all slingers die. You need 802 slingers to win in this case.
Edit: Here is the screenshot, you can try it yourself:
capturedw.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

that's why I never build slings at the very beginning, because everyone has swords and slings suck against swords hihi

DeletedUser

that's why I never build slings at the very beginning, because everyone has swords and slings suck against swords hihi

no body has a 10 wall at the beginning, and nobody is going to be that much larger than you

Status
Not open for further replies.