Pre-World Carystus Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser41523

Really morale was made as a way to help new players and it did originally. But there's a couple problems now.

1) It doesn't really change the start. A noob with 2k-3k points will still get conquered by an experienced conquest ready player regardless if they have minimum conq requirements or golded out a 10k city. People will always target low hanging fruit.

2) Teams are usually all set, this means that new players aren't going to catch onto good teams unless they're really standing out which means either golding or an incredibly likable personality and at least slightly above average play.

morale was an okay tool when the worlds ran at a slower pace, population grew quickly, the worlds were bigger due to less country servers ( newest Finland server is barely over a closing conditions player count btw), and premades weren't starting on whole islands together and ready to go. But in my opinion, its obsolete. If you want to protect noobs better, get them led by good leaders/players, to do this create some (not all) worlds without an invite link and a random direction option only.

DeletedUser54702

If you want to protect noobs better, get them led by good leaders/players, to do this create some (not all) worlds without an invite link and a random direction option only.

I've heard whispers in the wind that Inno's grepo game designers are scared of complicated things.

This idea seems a whole lot simpler and effective than their current crackpot morale change scheme.

DeletedUser46395

I guess you do not know what you are talking about. Because when i have played the game right and am 30+ cities and someone with 5 cities colonizes next to me and attacks me day and night to get a reaction. It is very unfair for me. I can choose to spend 20 cities worth of offense on taking his one city or i can choose to live with his harrasment.

You would guess entirely wrong, then. I've been No 1 player in the world in a morale revolt world and so know exactly what I'm talking about. Have you? I've had this discussion with many really good revolt players, including quite a lot who voted for me, and they have all agreed with me. That's not to say there's not abuse, but insofar as it protects new players, it's a very good thing and truly good players seem to have no issues with it. I got elected precisely to make sure that various threads of opinion are reflected, not just those who choose to be vociferous on here; that's what I am doing and that's what I will continue to do for as long as I am on the council. That this view is not universally popular only goes to show how many mediocre and coin-operated players there are, I'm afraid.
Sorry if that upsets some precious egos by making them realise that they're not quite as good as they think they are, but I'm sure they'll get over it.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser41523

I've heard whispers in the wind that Inno's grepo game designers are scared of complicated things.

This idea seems a whole lot simpler and effective than their current crackpot morale change scheme.

I can only speak for myself, but just going full random actually sounds fun too, like hell I'd try to lead on it. Don't get me wrong, Inno has made some cool moves for newer players recently. But morale on the basis of helping newer players just doesn't work. If they want it for an increased difficulty then fine. But as it stands now, when it finally kicks in, at least 3-5 newer players have gotten taken out by that individual affected by morale.

But yeah if Inno wants an effective way of helping newer players I suggest the following.

1) Random only worlds. Where the link is disabled and the direction isn't optional.
2) Merge some servers back into EN, allow gold from that server to transfer, and increase world caps. This will create a larger world that fills faster and provides more oceans to play in. This increases the total talent/experience and spreads out the talent even more and forces them to play with who is with them. Its been my experience that language barrier isn't much of an issue as most people in this game can speak English if pressed to it.

DeletedUser21560

You would guess entirely wrong, then. I've been No 1 player in the world in a morale revolt world. I've had this discussion with many really good revolt players, including quite a lot who voted for me, and they have all agreed with me. That's not to say there's not abuse, but insofar as it protects new players, it's a very good thing and truly good players seem to have no issues with it. I got elected precisely to make sure that various threads of opinion are reflected, not just those who choose to be vociferous on here; that's what I am doing and that's what I will continue to do for as long as I am on the council. That this view is not universally popular only goes to show how many mediocre and coin-operated players there are, I'm afraid.

Im sorry to have to burst your bubble, but you were elected because no other real players were bothered with the council. Congratulations on being a council member anyways

You being placed #1 on a world and you talking with other players is all great, i am clapping my hands for you. The morale system is no way to protect new players, i gave you an example of a way you could protect new players. If the so called new players decide to attack someone bigger than them, then the system should stop working towards the player they are attacking. It really is as simple as that

The way the morale system works now, teams use it to their advantage and players use it to annoy others. Im all up for new players wanting to play here and stay playing, other games have helpers dedicated to new players. I try to take a few new players under my wings on every server i play. That is the direction the game should move. Not forcefeed morale into everyone. U cant brush the problem off with a "ofcourse theres going to be abuse" There is very much abuse indeed, id say 10% of the players are new players, the rest are just noobs abusing the system for their own alliances gain

If you ask me, you are one of the mediocre and coin operated players. You are very welcome to drop in the new world tommorrow and meassure your skills with the other mediocre players around, because all i know you for is hiding behind your alliance and doing a whole lot of talking on the forums...

DeletedUser39822

Being the number one player is not necessarily a measure of greatness.......it typically means you sacrifice unit space to build pretty 17k cities. A lot of the best players in any given server don't even crack the top 50 in player points.

DeletedUser46395

"10% are new players, the rest are just noobs". Well quite. ;)
I completely agree with you about teaching new players, and I'm not saying that we should just accept abuse of morale either; I'm simply saying that the top players don't have an issue with morale, even as it stands.

You can make as many personal attacks on me as you like, but I would suggest it probably reflects worse on your credibility and character than it does on mine.
I think most people would recognise that the views of certain more mouthy elements on here aren't necessarily reflective of the body of players as a whole. Also, on any council discission on the subject, I will air the views of those I disagree with as much as those of people I agree with - that goes with the territory. It's not about forcing my views down people's throats, but about informed discussion and group decisions.

DeletedUser46395

Being the number one player is not necessarily a measure of greatness.......it typically means you sacrifice unit space to build pretty 17k cities. A lot of the best players in any given server don't even crack the top 50 in player points.

Agreed. For info, when I did it, it was just as the WW phase was being completed. Make of that what you will. And I would never call myself a great revolt player, either; I am competent, though. Unlike conquest, where I'm rubbish - which is why I'm currently having another go, and why I probably won't play the new revolt server.

DeletedUser41523

I'll also add in with morale abuse. In conquest, people use low morale CS drivers to hold sieges. Morale is an easy to abuse system that doesn't work as intended. You just get players who don't want to go all in, be bothered with being attacked, or manage a lot of cities running CSes and handing them off to players who do.

As for helping new players, again, before morale kicks in meaningfully you'll see even a heavy golder scalping at least 3 newer players. Every half decent alliance will kill off countless newer players despite the morale system and that system kicks in if you're really slow. If you're active and growing decently and learning the game but not on an above average level yet, then you're going to get swallowed up. Especially if you're caught in a bad alliance, which you likely will be.

DeletedUser50990

You would guess entirely wrong, then. I've been No 1 player in the world in a morale revolt world and so know exactly what I'm talking about. Have you? I've had this discussion with many really good revolt players, including quite a lot who voted for me, and they have all agreed with me. That's not to say there's not abuse, but insofar as it protects new players, it's a very good thing and truly good players seem to have no issues with it.

preference of whether or not morale is active or not is not a measure of how good a player one is. in fact, its not a measure of anything except their preference for whether or not morale is active.

also. people agreeing with you doesn't make you correct either.

DeletedUser21560

"10% are new players, the rest are just noobs". Well quite. ;)
I completely agree with you about teaching new players, and I'm not saying that we should just accept abuse of morale either; I'm simply saying that the top players don't have an issue with morale, even as it stands.

You can make as many personal attacks on me as you like, but I would suggest it probably reflects worse on your credibility and character than it does on mine.
I think most people would recognise that the views of certain more mouthy elements on here aren't necessarily reflective of the body of players as a whole. Also, on any council discission on the subject, I will air the views of those I disagree with as much as those of people I agree with - that goes with the territory. It's not about forcing my views down people's throats, but about informed discussion and group decisions.

I love it. Grepolis politicans. You started by insulting everyone else that did not share your views. Calling others, myself included, "lesser players" "gold coin player"
I just slapped you back into place - it seems very much that you think you are something extra because you are in the grepolis "council"

It must be forcing your views down peoples throats if theres a "like morale or be a lesser player" attitude
Just as you will air your views with those you disagree with, i will call you up on your bull everytime u decide to spread it

My credibility is very much intact, based on the actions and my actual gameplay - not me being a grepolis council member and once #1 on a server

To give you an example of how the morale system is flawed, check me on Selymbria, i have had 1 city since the beggining. Others have tried to take my city atleast 50 times, and each time they have failed because of morale. I used to clear their cities daily and there was nothing they could do. Now its just a gold making machine and serves no real purpose to grepolis

Im sure you love the morale system, you have expressed your views and i have expressed mine and so have alot of others. Theres no need to be mocking others because u do not share the same views. Instead go get those players u have talked so much with and get them to come on and voice their opinions aswell. Can only be healthy for the game to have as active an community as possible.

Raydium88

Strategos

Personal attacks? Oh dear... you only brought it to yourself with the cheer idiocy of your comment.

If you want to neglect the issue that is morale, or (let me word it better) excuse it as lack of "true skill" for the grand portion of people who dislike it as a game mechanic, what are you doing representing us?... Get yourself back together and listen to what the community has to suggest, instead of sinking further trying to defend your person.

DeletedUser36085

It's not "Carystos discussion thread" anymore, it's "Morale discussion thread" apparently.

Alright, I'll bite.

Morale is a system that exists in its current form and we all have to deal with it until we ourselves come up with and agree on a few good ideas or even a system that will be driven by existing players and make any morale system unnecessary. In addition, Inno must gain immediate profit from said new system, otherwise they probably won't bother creating a new system, only tweaking the existing one, morale.

Back on topic!

I'm looking forward to Carystos. I'm dropping in over the weekend with a few friends from Byblos. First, they'll teach me how to trade ;)

DeletedUser41523

Morale is a system that exists in its current form and we all have to deal with it until we ourselves come up with and agree on a few good ideas or even a system that will be driven by existing players and make any morale system unnecessary. In addition, Inno must gain immediate profit from said new system, otherwise they probably won't bother creating a new system, only tweaking the existing one, morale.

Isn't this what the player's council is for?

No morale tends to make the most money already...When I did some gold trading on Lato I made 10k in a couple days.

DeletedUser54745

Isn't this what the player's council is for?

No morale tends to make the most money already...When I did some gold trading on Lato I made 10k in a couple days.
made 30k in thebes in like a week or so, which was morale. Luckily I was in Mortis lol

Status
Not open for further replies.