The Occupy Movement

DeletedUser340

Since there is no DnD I think this would be the place to post this?

I would like to know thoughts and opinions on the #Occupy movement...

Are you for or against & why?

DeletedUser6029

I agree with everything but corporate Tax. Tax the people, but not the corporations...the more we tax the companies, the more they take their jobs overseas.

DeletedUser340

I agree with everything but corporate Tax. Tax the people, but not the corporations...the more we tax the companies, the more they take their jobs overseas.

But without tax on the corporations they will continue to be rich and we will have the same controlled wealth problem we have already (the 1% get the money and the 99% get the scraps kicked down to us). And besides, I live in the united kingdom, most buisseneses have already move away from UK (either bought out or going to different countries for cheap labour) So I think a tax on corporations and a higher tax on people with a stable to high income would be more than fair, if you saw the profits these companies are making compared to how much they're taxed, you would agree. And then if we compare this to the ammount a everyday person is making and look at how much of their money goes on tax; You would notice it is a substantionaly higher amount compaired to the earnings (Money%(=100%)-Money spent on tax%),

DeletedUser

I'm part of the nyanty nyan percent
HTML:
+      o     +              o   
    +             o     +       +
o          +
    o  +           +        +
+        o     o       +        o
-_-_-_-_-_-_-_,------,      o 
_-_-_-_-_-_-_-|   /\_/\  
-_-_-_-_-_-_-~|__( ^ .^)  +     +  
_-_-_-_-_-_-_-""  ""      
+      o         o   +       o
    +         +
o        o         o      o     +
    o           +
+      +     o        o      +

DeletedUser

I'm part of the nyanty nyan percent
HTML:
+      o     +              o   
    +             o     +       +
o          +
    o  +           +        +
+        o     o       +        o
-_-_-_-_-_-_-_,------,      o 
_-_-_-_-_-_-_-|   /\_/\  
-_-_-_-_-_-_-~|__( ^ .^)  +     +  
_-_-_-_-_-_-_-""  ""      
+      o         o   +       o
    +         +
o        o         o      o     +
    o           +
+      +     o        o      +

Beat me to it.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Lugosi

Strategos
Whats the point? The protests make small dents on the economy coz of people not being at work because they're striking or various strike related effects. All in all it ends with us paying it in the neck. Just get a decent education and make the most of what you can achieve which should get you quite far if you look in the right places. Of course it is unfair that some are restricted from gaining what the wealthy can but we cannot do anything about that without making it worse for ourselves and primarily we won't make an effect, the only effective way to gain what people want would be something like what has happened in Libya imo o.0

Life is unfair. May aswell get on with it whilst we still have it.

I may add more soon, sorry guys xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoo ;3

Scene Queenz ftw.

DeletedUser340

I disagree completely Justin; Shouldn't we be able to achieve the achievable, not left to know what it is possible we can do, but not be allowed... We shouldn't settle for second best, we should have what is rightfully ours, and it's the English attitude that has got us into this position. You clearly showed this attitude:

"Life is unfair. May aswell get on with it whilst we still have it."

And I agree with: "the only effective way to gain what people want would be something like what has happened in Libya imo o.0" - They have us in the position they want us in, their language is money, and we don't have that, the only other way is through ruining this country further and helping the the future with this government come faster (failure of the banks and massive reform)

Aicy

Strategos
There have been hundreds of massive reforms and massive revolutions in the past and what has been the result? The same old boring miserable rubbish where the majority of the world is suffering.

Like, yeah, with Libya they overthrew Gaddafi but it's likely that the person/party/whatever who is taking over for him is just as bad.

The amount of revolutions I've learned about in history, and the amount of them that just ended up in more rubbishness is just depressing.

DeletedUser

Those rich people didn't spawn their money. They earned it.
Instead of demonstrating everyone should stop whining and get to work to earn THEIR money. If you're simply less intelligent its logical you will earn less money. If your higher education you should be able to get a good-paying job easily and when you understand the world becoming rich isn't that hard.

EDIT: regarding Libya, they only won because the UN helped them. And the UN helped because Libya is a major oil provider and a huge revolt won't make the prices and quantity of the oil any better.

DeletedUser340

Like, yeah, with Libya they overthrew Gaddafi but it's likely that the person/party/whatever who is taking over for him is just as bad.

But he will be allowed life, america and England have already signed contracts on the oil, so no doubt he will be gone like sudaam in a few years. (Anyone else see the repeat with Iraq and Libya? saddam put in power by america, then killed. Gadaffi and sons having talks with clinton and now he's dead. The flat-line is they were doing business, the kind you don't get to hear about, then when he is in a position to reveal the true plans of USA or UK, they suddenly die.)

Those rich people didn't spawn their money. They earned it.
Instead of demonstrating everyone should stop whining and get to work to earn THEIR money. If you're simply less intelligent its logical you will earn less money. If your higher education you should be able to get a good-paying job easily and when you understand the world becoming rich isn't that hard.

EDIT: regarding Libya, they only won because the UN helped them. And the UN helped because Libya is a major oil provider and a huge revolt won't make the prices and quantity of the oil any better.

Actually, rich families have children, they live of the interest their parents gathered on their huge cash stack, they have no tax, they live the luxury, then when they die, their children get the money, and hence-forth; no earning has been done for generations, the way to do well in life; be born into a rich family. Education or no education; I think you're blind to the amount of jobs out there and the amount of people no having a job. Either way, my dad went for an interview with other 100 people going for 1 job. And it's rare to even find that 1 job to apply for. "when you understand the world becoming rich isn't that hard." That is by far the stupidest thing I have ever read, by understanding the world you understand the chance for any kind of success is stacked against you. "Stop whining and get to work" - That is mighty ignorent, see my above sentences.

In Libya the UN did nothing but destroy the whole thing, using the same stupid head-stuck-up-dark-tunnel method, aimlessly firing missile into a city were they knew rebels and government supporters were, then crossing fingers and hoping for the best. There isn't a single attack that the UN can carry out that works fully, they always hit the wrong people and kill innocents, how is their co-ordinator, or is he just showing that lack of care that most people show.

DeletedUser

I forgot to mention I was trying to tell the story from the 'other' perspective, I deleted that part when i started over typing it. :p

I don't have too much of an own opinion on this. It doesn't affect me in any way so to be honest, I don't really care that much. I live in a financially stable family and I'm focussing on finishing my education. That's enough thinking about the economy for me for now. C:

Btw, Sere, you do know Gaddafi is dead, right?

DeletedUser6029

ok, let me clarify. I have no problem taxing ceo's and board members etc. There is no need for them not to pay their share. The corporations however, if they turn their profits back around and put int back in the economy...wellllllll win win. The problem isnt the corporations, it is government greed (a part of the movement I totally agree with)...you wanna fix the tax issue, fix the tax code. Stop putting band aids over band-aides......

DeletedUser340

Skullyhoofd;466747Btw said:
yep, when I said he will be allowed life I was referring to the next government that will put in power there; As Aicy said, they will be just as bad as gaddafi, But they will get away with it due to the oil they are selling cheap to US and UIK.

DeletedUser

I have some doubts about these protests. I have caught some snippets of what they are about on the news, but I don't have a strong interest in them.

It annoys me that they are camping and obstructing St Pauls Cathedral to the point where they have to close it. It's a significant tourist sight, an icon to british heritage and actually a legitimate business that has to fund itself. I think the right to protest is important, but kinda disrespectful to do it there for over a week in my opinion.

I also saw the claims that 1% of people have most of the wealth, if I understood what they were bumping their gums about correctly. I think that's simply inaccurate. A recent study by the Swiss at an institute in Zurich have published findings that 1% of companies control around 40% of the global market. But I don't think that is in itself a bad thing. An important statement from that study was that people are mistaking ownership for control. That's not necessary how the global economy always works. " Most company shares are held by fund managers who may or may not control what the companies they 'part-own' do". Maybe the global economy does need restructuring, but I would rather the economists and financial experts did it than a bunch of unemployed students bumming around outside a cathedral tbh.

DeletedUser14937

What I have never understood is why people think someone who's rich should pay more % of their income then someone else, while I hate the fact that there are the fat cats that more or less control the world, they've done something "special" to get to where they are. Rich corporations must do something good? I like what Apple produces, as far as I'm concerned, they more than deserve to be excessively rich. Overly taxing the rich is like punishing them for having done good for themselves. Most of the tax revenue comes from them already, squeeze the living life out of their wallets until everyone is equal? As far as I'm concerned people who think like this need a decent reminder that life is not equal ;) People do not deserve to be equal in their living ways because simply put people do different things. A garbage man does not deserve to have the same income as a doctor, the closest example I can think of in two different jobs deserving the same income is an electrician and the dude that installs the water system thing in your house (I don't know how to say it in english), they are of more or less the same importance and do a lot of the same just with different stuff.
I would love to have the same money after tax that one of the fat cats have but that will probably never happen. I don't expect them to be taxed more, tbh if it's thought of properly, most of the tax revenue comes from people who will not use most of the things that the tax revenue is spent on. Lets say a dude who needs to pay $$90000 in tax and compare to someone who pays $$1000 in tax, they will both "have access" to some sort of goverment funded things like street lighting, paved roads, cheap/free public schools, military, public transport and whatever else. The dude who pays $$90000 is probably not going to send his kids to public school or use public transport? Yet he is still paying for it, another one, extending water services and electricity to rural areas, all extremely costly, probably funded by the rich, yet in no way shape or form is of use to them. Yea I agree everyone needs to pay their share. Yet (I will give an unresearched figure simply as an example here) asking people who lets say fund 70% of tax revenue already and probably don't use 90% of what it's spent on, to start paying even more is absurd.
The only thing unfair is equality, yea the gap between a rich man and a poor man should not be 1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 (insert currency), it should in no way be 0$ or even close. That's why it's called rich and poor, and that's why communism failed miserably. Stick with the logical way of life ;).

~~As a last note, I have not been following Occupy too much, I just saw brief comments on "charge the rich feed the poor" and gave my view on it :)!

DeletedUser6029

I do think the corporate big wigs (not the corporations themselves) are wrong. There is no reason to make as much money as they do at the expense of the little man. That being said, if Americans would stop with their "entitled" mentality, and stop asking for hand outs, and get the government under control, and revamp the tax codes, we'd have more jobs locally, because companies would stop taking them overseas....

DeletedUser

I also saw the claims that 1% of people have most of the wealth, if I understood what they were bumping their gums about correctly. I think that's simply inaccurate. A recent study by the Swiss at an institute in Zurich have published findings that 1% of companies control around 40% of the global market.

It's weird how the Swiss would come up with that study, considering the financial top 10% of the adult population in Switzerland hold 71.3% of their country's wealth. (As of 2000)

But this is pretty much the reasoning for why it started in America (nobody else matters :cool:):

Figure_5.gif

"Of all the new financial wealth created by the American economy in that 21-year-period, fully 42% of it went to the top 1%. A whopping 94% went to the top 20%, which of course means that the bottom 80% received only 6% of all the new financial wealth generated in the United States during the '80s, '90s, and early 2000s (Wolff, 2007)."

Actually, rich families have children
:eek:
That is by far the stupidest thing I have ever read
Irony.
Also, never come close to insulting my Skullyhoofd or i'll [internet threat] you.
Its just hippies protesting because they want money but don't want to work.
This.
People do not deserve to be equal in their living ways because simply put people do different things. A garbage man does not deserve to have the same income as a doctor, the closest example I can think of in two different jobs deserving the same income is an electrician and the dude that installs the water system thing in your house (I don't know how to say it in english), they are of more or less the same importance and do a lot of the same just with different stuff.
Is it impossible for a Garbageman to work just as hard as a Doctor? Is it impossible for a Garbageman to deserve more money than a Doctor does? Perhaps we should discuss the importance of each's role when all the Garbagemen of the world disappear and you suffocate in your own filth. You may see your doctor a few times every year but your Garbageman will constantly be there, picking up your trash, and being unappreciated.
ok, let me clarify.
one more time! :D

OCCUPY THE MOON​

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser340

Anyone can quote 2 different lines in a paragraph and make it sound completely different. What I said was completely true AND sain.

Garbageman discuss the importance of your own filth.

oh look, I cut out half of your words, irony.