Update to version 2.40 Discussion Thread

Baudin Toolan

Grepolis Team
Look on the brightside, with the no mass mails before 800 points thing we won't get annoying "join game so and so and earn real money and pancakes" or whatever. So silver lining? Maybe?

DeletedUser

To make sure that updates of game state will reach the players browser correctly, only one tab per game account is allowed.
I never noticed any significant game-state issues prior to this change ... but am now impacted by a whole series of problems following it.
This has been a massive hammer to crack a tiny nut, and now we hear there aren't even any lag performance benefits, which was the main argument used by those who naively defended this change.

What game-state issues has it addressed !?

DeletedUser18132

Sorry, some clarity if it isn't already clear. The feature will prevent multiple tabs for the same world. Different worlds are unaffected. I have passed your feedback to the developers, however, this isn't quite the same as the removal of the HC, this is being implemented to improve performance, and frankly, I doubt will be reverted.

Lastly, anti-timing is +10 to -10 seconds, not 12.

Richard

Can someone please answer me? :)

DeletedUser

The wiki is wrong, the anti-timer is from -10 to +10 seconds (NOT -30 to +30 as quoted by the Wiki)
I proved this to my own satisfaction once by launching 200 test attacks, and the randomiser never adjusted any of them by more than 10 seconds.

DeletedUser18132

ok, thanks for the confirmation. :) Time to start beating on tot for not correcting that. :D

DeletedUser20415

I want everyone that said they dont use multiple tabs to state their top states including cities numbers,oceans(core or rim) and their ABP, especially that "awesomness" dude

DeletedUser36146

It was +/-30 in the good old days - I can recall many 20+ variation in Theta (and subsequent swearing)
No doubt this has been downgraded like everything else
+/- 10 secs is hardly worth the effort.

The biggest problem Im afraid goes beyond tabs/HC/heroes/interfaces/apps/WW. it goes right back to the players.

New starters (noobs) fall into 2 categories - 5% will make the effort and go onto become players
95% will whinge and whine about anything thats not easy. Most would be happy with a "click to win" button tbh.
None of them EVER read the wiki/guides/forum tutorials etc then give up because its too difficult/boring etc

Sadly Inno seems to pamper to these types to the nth degree. I suppose they see players join and then leave and erroneously assume that there is something wrong with the game. This is just modern game culture Im afraid. The "if I cant master a game in 10 mins then Im off" crowd.

What is forgotten is that "softening" down the war/game element does irreparable harm to the long term player base.

On the recent heroes introduction thread one of the devs can be quotes as saying that some of the heroes have attacking qualities and others can be used "in times of peace". This is supposed to be a war game!! We shouldnt be planning for times of peace. This to me shows the huge width of division between the veterans and the devs.

For those of us using the PC who spend a lot of time launching timed attacks/support /sniping/spiking etc multiple tabs was an essential part of gameplay. Maybe those noobs with an app have complained it isnt fair they cant - but I cant carry my PC round the local shopping mall - maybe inno can balance that out too!!

Yes we can go back to paper and pen - but this is supposed to be an improvement isnt it?

The only reason I can see is that non premium players can use this method too and Inno want them to spend gold and use the attack planner (which is so bad its laughable).

So having added a good hour or more to my daily gameplay lets look at the other features:-

Mass mail - saves me 15 secs every 15 days - yippee brilliant - of course inno dont want spam about other games but this is more for their benefit than ours.

The ability to rename commands - oh yeah totally over the moon with this one - I cant wait to rename something.
Makes me wonder how Ive managed to play till now.

Summary another huge backwards step from the developers and Inno

DeletedUser23986

You don't need multiple tabs when you have 4 cities to look after.

But me with 70cities need it. Inno has pretty much gone wild, with their recent not so useful "upgrades".

To ensure that the update reaches "us" properly, they have removed multiple tabs. Ah thanks.... BUt why? Only experienced players use multiple tabs , and i believe each one of them, knows about clearing cache. How about having these troublesome ideas voted upon?

DeletedUser

Heres another game-killing single-tab annoyance for a large account ... Farming:

1. I open the "Farming villages" dialog box to do farming at my cities
2. Some of my cities have maxed Wood (or other resource), so I want to trade it for stone/silver before farming for that city
3. To do this trade I have to relocate the map, which closes the Farming dialog !
4. I have over 131 cities, so have to go in and out of the farming dialog box dozens of times, finding the next city in the list each time

With 2 tabs, I could just go into the farming dialog once in one tab without losing position in the city-list, and use a 2nd tab to relocate the map to do any trading ! Re-opening the farming dialog dozens of times places a BIG extra load on the server !
(the Farming dialog accesses a LOT of information for a large account, ie. for every city in the account:
Island ID, Cityname, CityPoints, Wood, Rock, Silver, WarehouseLimit, FreePopulation)

So this change is increasing Server load, which increases lag, and reduces the players will to farm regularly, which reduces players engagement with the game, losing Innogames Premium customers.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser23986

that explains so much .... maybe we should have a rule noobs are not allowed to state their nooby opinion ?

we can;t as they also play, (and supply us with good cities). But really they shouldn't comment on others style of play. I mean how can you understand the difficulties of a 100 city player when you never had even 10 cities.

DeletedUser345

It was +/-30 in the good old days - I can recall many 20+ variation in Theta (and subsequent swearing)
No doubt this has been downgraded like everything else
+/- 10 secs is hardly worth the effort.

The biggest problem Im afraid goes beyond tabs/HC/heroes/interfaces/apps/WW. it goes right back to the players.

New starters (noobs) fall into 2 categories - 5% will make the effort and go onto become players
95% will whinge and whine about anything thats not easy. Most would be happy with a "click to win" button tbh.
None of them EVER read the wiki/guides/forum tutorials etc then give up because its too difficult/boring etc

Sadly Inno seems to pamper to these types to the nth degree. I suppose they see players join and then leave and erroneously assume that there is something wrong with the game. This is just modern game culture Im afraid. The "if I cant master a game in 10 mins then Im off" crowd.

What is forgotten is that "softening" down the war/game element does irreparable harm to the long term player base.

On the recent heroes introduction thread one of the devs can be quotes as saying that some of the heroes have attacking qualities and others can be used "in times of peace". This is supposed to be a war game!! We shouldnt be planning for times of peace. This to me shows the huge width of division between the veterans and the devs.

For those of us using the PC who spend a lot of time launching timed attacks/support /sniping/spiking etc multiple tabs was an essential part of gameplay. Maybe those noobs with an app have complained it isnt fair they cant - but I cant carry my PC round the local shopping mall - maybe inno can balance that out too!!

Yes we can go back to paper and pen - but this is supposed to be an improvement isnt it?

The only reason I can see is that non premium players can use this method too and Inno want them to spend gold and use the attack planner (which is so bad its laughable).

So having added a good hour or more to my daily gameplay lets look at the other features:-

Mass mail - saves me 15 secs every 15 days - yippee brilliant - of course inno dont want spam about other games but this is more for their benefit than ours.

The ability to rename commands - oh yeah totally over the moon with this one - I cant wait to rename something.
Makes me wonder how Ive managed to play till now.

Summary another huge backwards step from the developers and Inno

Very well spoken, 100% true.

Call me elitist all you want I don't care, but my opinion should count for more than others. I've been playing, and paying, for three years now however my opinion is worth the same as a person who has been around for ten minutes and hasn't spent a penny. Every time there is an unpopular update with the veterans inno releases some sort of mass propaganda to the new players to get them to vote on something which they know nothing about and don't understand how it will affect the game.

Then there is the small group of forum members here who seem to defend inno at every turn in the hope of either being recruited as a mod or being promoted. Seriously it is not in your job description to defend inno on everything and frankly it is quite annoying, especially when you have no clue what your on about, e.g. the whole lag thing. Jorisva you've absolutely embarrassed yourself in this thread with your claims about using multiple tabs. May I ask how many of those two hundred and four cities you started with, the same with the abp? I'm also assuming the 'you being a top attacker on multiple other worlds' are the ones where your best is one hundred and eightieth?

DeletedUser38224

You don't need multiple tabs

...This wasn't obvious?

But me with 70cities need it. Inno has pretty much gone wild, with their recent not so useful "upgrades".

You bring up a good point there. Ok, you're right :p

To ensure that the update reaches "us" properly, they have removed multiple tabs. Ah thanks.... BUt why? Only experienced players use multiple tabs , and i believe each one of them, knows about clearing cache. How about having these troublesome ideas voted upon?

About this, i've already given my opinion, which is that i'm glad inno are making efforts to improve game performance. That's pretty much all that needs to be said.

we can;t as they also play, (and supply us with good cities). But really they shouldn't comment on others style of play. I mean how can you understand the difficulties of a 100 city player when you never had even 10 cities.

I understand basically what it is. I reached 6000 villages on Tribal wars, and can tell you, it's about the same here. I actually have a pretty good idea of what you have to do.

DeletedUser20415

I totally agree with G's Post .... especially the point where eliminating multiple tabs is for making players spending more gold.

Even with the ridiculous attack planner, i use a tab just to present the attack planner (when i have captain) so i can know the attacks launching order sequence and time in an other 2~3 tabs.

Its sad when u see people have the biggest say on something they never tried it before.

DeletedUser36146

... Post removed so we can focus on the main issue